SA stamp location

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ParrotHead

SA stamp location

Post by ParrotHead »

What is the general consensus of a SA stamp on the receiver instead of the barrel? Is this mostly uncommon or suspect?

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1943 Shirley Enfield No 4 MK 1
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SA stamp location

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have never come across any on the receiver. Is that the only place it is stamped? What rifle is it on?
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

I can't say I've seen one on the receiver at least not that I recall but I don't think that alone should disqualify it as being legit. I've seen legit SA Stamps on Finnish made bayonets that really have no reason to be there.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

All my stamps are on barrel. I think on left side.
entropy

Post by entropy »

Never seen one, but like capt14k says, that in itself wouldn't make it suspect.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These days I cast a jaundiced eye on any SA stamp as I know the stamp itself is now reproduced and likely being used ( why buy it otherwise) to manufacture "pieces of history" or embellish existing pieces of history. You need to look at the entire piece carefully, not just the stamp. You need to see what other Finn attributes the rifle has other than the stamp. Finn stock? Sling hangers? Finn trigger or shims? Finn altered sights, bolt knob serial number? It is no longer safe to assume any rifle is a Finn because it has the SA stamp unless it is obviously Finn such as the M39 or other rifle only produced in Finland. You see a Soviet era rifle or older M91 you need to know what you are looking for, and that means doing your homework first so you can tell what a Balkan used M91 looks like from a Finn used one, and so on. Learn stock styles and finishes, and all the other small points that differentiate a Finn Mosin from the others. I trust the Finn rifles in my collection because I bought them at a time when nobody was making SA stamp kits, and the low cost of the rifles at that time did not provide any incentive to fraud. These days however I don't trust any "Finn capture" Soviet era Mosin without verifying it by finding some other Finn attribute past that damn SA stamp.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Typically the SA stamp is on the left side of the barrel shank. Not uncommon to have it on the top of the barrel shank. M24 has six SA stamps on the top and sides of the barrel shank. The guy must have gotten paid for piece work.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

A fellow down south was caught just in the last year or so applying SA Stamps. Opened a business very similar in name to The Mosin Crate. Unfortunately fake SA Stamps do exist. The same scumbag that sells the full assortment of Nazi Stamps sells SA Stamps as well. Best thing to do is post some pictures.

ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

I have to agree about the other Finn traits. There are none other in this case except it is non refurb pre war stock with all numbers appearing original matching.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

Now that we can see it being stamped above the import serial numbers, I'd think it's highly suspicious!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

cj1964 wrote:Now that we can see it being stamped above the import serial numbers, I'd think it's highly suspicious!
It's in an odd place for sure... The question is; Does it look to be a fresh stamping?
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I will not say why on here or anywhere else online but I would say that is a bogus stamping. I would highly suspect both the seller and the original owner if they are different. Nothing more to say for me. Bill :o

PS Heed JYD's sage comments about value!
escobert

Post by escobert »

From my untrained eye, it looks fresher than the import serial numbers.
1942 VKT M39
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

Have never seen SA on receiver. Only serial numbers, at wood line. Strange combination. Yes, that SA is brighter than sn.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

From the picture it certainly does not look legit. It didn't happen to come from a short lived online business from NC?

Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

The depth & clarity is off on that [SA] stamp.... rather faint.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
ncreptile
Forum Advertiser

Post by ncreptile »

The community takes care of it's own. This guy shows up, suddenly changes his goofy company name to something extremely similar to mine(and a guy whose willing to fake markings to get money would no doubt sue for money so I won't name him). Lets say "The Mosin Crater" is the name he used. Very similar to mine. Then he built a website like mine, stole peoples pictures of gunboards, stole entire paragraphs off mine and did things to openly confuse folks with my business.

I was pissed but said nothing until I found out about the fake SA stamped stuff at which point I had to make clear to the community this guy(who was also in NC to add the cherry on top) was not me.

Just some redneck who stole others ideas and started off OK from what I hear but quickly moved to fantasy markings for an extra buck. Community ran him off which I was extremely proud of. He even deleted his gunbroker account because some collectors apparently made threats(not the right thing to do).

All that aside.. As JYD put it, LOOK AT THE ENTIRE RIFLE. Is it a 1943 or 44 91/30? It should be suspect. Is it a refurbed rifle? Even more suspect. If its a rifle generally pre 1940 and has a Finnish stock, you're good to go. Everything from the import marking(usually century) needs to be looked at. Such as a rifle imported by PW arms would likely not be correct. I've been through thousands of 91/30 refurbs and only ever found one Finnish recapture. Never seen it put on the receiver that I can remember. Be sure to ask about where an item came from. If it came out of NC and you have a weird feeling.. just walk away.

No telling how many fabricated pieces are out there these days. Thank goodness while most fakers can put a stamp on a rifle, they are after money and don't invest time in figuring out what rifles said stamps would be correct on..
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I'd love to see more photos of the entire rifle before I will comment. It's not very common to se the SA mark in that spot.
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

Yes, it looks odd to me as well, especially since there are no other Finn traits associated with it.
The positives are it is pre-1940 and not refurbed and all S/Ns appear to be original stamped. Even the alpha prefix letters are the same.
I'm not going to buy it anyway, just thought it was interesting.

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I have a '41 Ishevisk, continuation capture, w/ no changes except the two piece stock, it's SA is on the left side of barrel, so there's you another round receiver post Winter war example, I cant remember any stamped on the reciever
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"