Alexander's Mosin Book

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
SA1911a1

Alexander's Mosin Book

Post by SA1911a1 »

I bet he is re-thinking his position on whether to print another batch of books. :D
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Alexander's Mosin Book

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

SA1911a1 wrote:I bet he is re-thinking his position on whether to print another batch of books. :D
Wow Steve, very generous of you to fund the 500 grand needed to print enough for everyone out of your own pocket! Now every new Mosin owner can have one :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

I think I'm missing something here. Could someone explain

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

Is he out of them? I got one... It's a must have reference for any Mosin Nagant collector.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

capt14k wrote:I think I'm missing something here. Could someone explain

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... =5&t=26951

I'm guessing he is out of them and sold a bunch. But still has people looking for it.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This is why I bought mine early, pre order, everyone on the board was made that offer and I hope everyone took advantage of it. I am now waiting for the next installment.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

I see that now, $100 with a week to go. Thank you for clarifying. Is it really $500k for another printing? How many was first printing?

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have no idea, I was just having fun with Steve, Alexander did imply that printing another run of books would be expensive. Probably more so now with so many more people wanting a copy, I had better lock mine up in the vault.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Anyone want to bet that there will be computer generated copies on ebay soon?
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: Alexander's Mosin Book

Post by capt14k »

spongemonkey wrote:
capt14k wrote:I see that now, $100 with a week to go. Thank you for clarifying. Is it really $500k for another printing? How many was first printing?

I am not sure but according to the author, I think the first printing was only about 500 books or so.
If he sold them at $30 a book then my guess is it was more like $10,000 to print 500 books. It looks like 100 hardcover books printed with 300 B&W pages and 100 color pages total of 400 pages would cost $25/book. How many pages of color and B&W are in the book? The wheels in my head are turning. If people are willing to pay $100/copy I would gladly fund the next printing if the author would split the profits.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You can contact him directly, he is a board member, look up the old thread on the Mosin forum, it's about three months ago, maybe 4
Theodore Roosevelt
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Glad I got mine when I did. I figured these would only be available for limited time. Guess I was right.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

When I ordered my copy I screwed up and paid twice. Alex contacted me to arrange a complicated refund. I told him to forget it, just send me two copies. One is still wrapped in the shipping paper, where it will stay for a while yet. :)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You could probably trade that for a Mosin now Steve, what are you going to do read the same book twice? Mosin be more fun, somebody here got a spare M39 to trade Steve? 91/59? 1907 carbine? M24?
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:You could probably trade that for a Mosin now Steve, what are you going to do read the same book twice? Mosin be more fun, somebody here got a spare M39 to trade Steve? 91/59? 1907 carbine? M24?
Read the same book twice? Jim, for the last few years I have been able to read a book, then come back three months later and enjoy it again. I just finished reading a John Grishom book I picked up at a thrift store, and I was two thirds through it before it started sounding familiar...I looked and there was another copy on the shelf. Oh well, my reading is getting cheaper. :D

What has floored me is the cost of Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles by Branko Bogdanovic. I picked up a new condition copy just a few months ago for about $15.00 and now I see that the floor price on Amazon is $129.00! It is a good book, but a hundred thirty bucks for a freaking paperback?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

SA1911a1 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:You could probably trade that for a Mosin now Steve, what are you going to do read the same book twice? Mosin be more fun, somebody here got a spare M39 to trade Steve? 91/59? 1907 carbine? M24?
Read the same book twice? Jim, for the last few years I have been able to read a book, then come back three months later and enjoy it again. I just finished reading a John Grishom book I picked up at a thrift store, and I was two thirds through it before it started sounding familiar...I looked and there was another copy on the shelf. Oh well, my reading is getting cheaper. :D

What has floored me is the cost of Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles by Branko Bogdanovic. I picked up a new condition copy just a few months ago for about $15.00 and now I see that the floor price on Amazon is $129.00! It is a good book, but a hundred thirty bucks for a freaking paperback?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Read it twice as in open the package and have two copys of the same book reading both at once. It's a reference book so I would expect you to be reading at least parts of it often. Think of how many Yugo Mauser's are out there, every new owner wants to know the story of their rifle and that book is pretty much the best work on that subject available, I know because I own that one also.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I still have my copy of the book stored in the package it came in, all the cool stamps on it made me reluctant to toss it out.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I still have my copy of the book stored in the package it came in, all the cool stamps on it made me reluctant to toss it out.
Same here :D
Ratnik

Post by Ratnik »

Hello, Gentlemen!
At first, I want to thank everybody for the interest to the book. I will try to explain real situation with this book.
I will be fair, this book is not a project that I planned for many years. It was rather an experiment. Idea appeared suddenly, and actually, finally I was convinced to start this book by Ryan Elliot, who helped me with translation. It's was not a business project. Time period that was spent for this book is quite small - less than a year (from first idea to real printed copies), mostly I used my old researches. It will be difficult to explain, what was the value of information that was used for book creation (in money and time), but considering that Mosins are not the only area of my interest, I was not able to spent more money on documents, so the only way was to print as is. Printing of this book allowed me to return (partially) money invested in researches.
Book was quite successfull. But this success cost much to me - for more 3 months I was busy with shipping of the books, messaging with customers (some of them can't read few rows of clear instructions :lol: ), and other matters connected with book. I really tried to make book as cheap as possible - my idea was to share with information that was unknown with more people as possible. For example, I selected cheaper for buyer, but much more problematic for me way of shipping. And from 30$ that buyer paid for a book, I received at 10% less because PayPal do not allow users from Ukraine to recieve money, and I used intermediary to accept payments.

As it was stated above, book was not a commercial project, and currently I'm not ready to do this again in same format - I have another matters and projects. But this did not mean that I stopped researches in Mosin areas and this is the end. Even at the current moment I already discovered some very interesting facts and documents, and there will be of them more in future. So I need some time to rethink conception of the book
One of my friends now is searching a way to print near 200 books in US. If price of printing and handling of the orders will be appropriate I promise I will think about additional run.
Last edited by Ratnik on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:43 am, edited 5 times in total.