Would love to learn more about my Finnish capture 91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Informal_Bizmuth

Would love to learn more about my Finnish capture 91/30

Post by Informal_Bizmuth »

Hey all!

You see like a very knowledgeable group and I'd love to learn more about my first Mosin, a Finnish capture M91/30 that I picked up for $80 when I was 16; a few pics can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/w2PlQ

Here's what I (think I) know so far:

-It's a hodge-podge 91/30 compiled of mostly pre-war parts, with some Finnish additions, including a double-stack blade front sight and a hanger sling.

-Making a quick pass over the rifle just a moment ago, I noted the following markings: 3x Pre-1928 Izhevsk; 4x Post-1928 Izhevsk; 3x Tula; 2x pre-1928 Tula; 1x Sestroryetsk.

-Owing to the age of many of the parts, I'm assuming that most of them were acquired by Finland early on, probably during the Winter War.

-It has a low-wall rounded receiver.

-Considering the great shape of the bore I'm assuming that it was a Finnish addition as well, and in the hundreds of rounds that I've put through it over the years I've been meticulous about keeping it clean.

-The previous owner had painted the stock brown, and only when I got rid of it did I note the Tula star imprint on the butt-stock, which I've been led to believe is on the rarer side for Finnish captures.

-It's incredibly accurate, such that when I'm shooting well I can get a 2-inch grouping at 100 yards with the iron sights; the receiver is not ex-sniper.

As it was my first Mosin -- and indeed my first rifle -- I'm never going to sell it, but I'm very keen to get a better idea of what I have. For a long time I was under the impression that low-wall receiver + Finnish markings + non-matching = less-than-desireable Mosin. However, I started to wonder about the rarity/desirability of this particular rifle when I was nearly lynched by some milsurp guys at the range when I mentioned considering mounting my 1943 Progress PU scope on it.

So what do you guys and gals think? How have your experiences been with Finnish captures? Out of sheer curiosity, what would an experienced sufferer of Mosinitis pay for something like this?
djbuck1

Re: Would love to learn more about my Finnish capture 91/30

Post by djbuck1 »

Welcome! :)

I will let more experienced hands address your questions about the rifle, itself. But it is not a Finn capture. This is a Finnish built version of the M91/30, with a barrel by Tikkaksoski. Unfortunately, it does look like the stock has been sanded and refinished (to me anyway).

There is very little in the way of rational pricing in the M91/30 market at present. At a time when the benchmark price of a refurbished M91/30 is widely held to be $200-$250, I still see (and purchase) Finn captures in that range. Similarly, some on-line sellers of ex-Dragoons ask $500 when a genuine Dragoon may be had for that price (or lower). Madness.

Another developing issue is the ability to alter weapons to look like Finn captures thanks to the easy availability of duplicate stamps. If you have any paperwork documenting when you obtained your rifle, hold on to it! As prices increase and fakes proliferate, it will be increasingly important to be able to demonstrate/prove the authenticity of a rifle. :2cents:

A Finnish M91/30 (Tikka) that has not been altered will generally command a good price. I do not see these often, so my guess would be $300-$350. But remember: that is in non-altered condition.
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

The roundreceiver is a little bonus.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

djbuck1 wrote:Welcome! :)

I will let more experienced hands address your questions about the rifle, itself. But it is not a Finn capture. This is a Finnish built version of the M91/30, with a barrel by Tikkaksoski. Unfortunately, it does look like the stock has been sanded and refinished (to me anyway).
djbuck1 is right. The Finns built their own version of 91/30 using existing parts they had in their arsenal. The round receiver is nice. Most of the guns the Finn's "made" had the hex receivers, but there are round receiver examples. It may have been refinished, but it couldn't have been sanded too heavily if the star cartouche is still showing. The Finns also reused Russian stocks, or sometimes they spliced a new forearm on them to make a two piece stock. It is a nice looking gun. You said you paid $80 when you were 16, but didn't indicate how long ago that was :wink:
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

Agree with above. I have Finn acquired 91/30 from Russians/Hitlerites or somewhere else. 1941 SA D Russian letters changed by Cai St Alb Vt. 1 pin sight base ,solid band springs, brass hand guard ends, Finn marked sling, rod in white,star on 3 bolts parts and some other stuff.Good shooter, not preferred weapon by combat infantry. Can see grooves in barrel lands. bolt matches numbers only different stamp
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

Pictures added to previous post. Still working with nikon 2002.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

DSCN1446.JPG
DSCN1445.JPG
DSCN1444.JPG
DSCN1443.JPG
DSCN1442.JPG
DSCN1441.JPG
DSCN1440.JPG
DSCN1438.JPG
For 91/30 finn capture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Informal_Bizmuth

Fledge wrote:
djbuck1 wrote:Welcome! :)

djbuck1 is right. The Finns built their own version of 91/30 using existing parts they had in their arsenal. The round receiver is nice. Most of the guns the Finn's "made" had the hex receivers, but there are round receiver examples. It may have been refinished, but it couldn't have been sanded too heavily if the star cartouche is still showing. The Finns also reused Russian stocks, or sometimes they spliced a new forearm on them to make a two piece stock. It is a nice looking gun. You said you paid $80 when you were 16, but didn't indicate how long ago that was :wink:
A couple of things: The stock was sanded and refinished, which I know as I'm the one who did it. Now, under normal circumstances I wouldn't do such a thing, but I made an exception this time as the previous owner had painted the stock a garrish brown that completely ruined the look of the rifle. As soon as I noticed the star cartouche I took great care with the sanding, then applied a single coat of polyurethane.

I bought the rifle about 9 years ago from a local gun shop, and I would think that the price was reduced a bit because the stock had been painted. As of last week a shop down the road was selling more run-of-the-mill 91/30s for $125.
B24

Post by B24 »

For $125 I would stocking up on run of the mill 91/30s!
Informal_Bizmuth

B24 wrote:For $125 I would stocking up on run of the mill 91/30s!
Well now that I have a couple of 91/30s what I really want is a carbine, preferably an M38. But as I've never even seen one in-person...
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Run of the mill 91/30s are 250 to 275 near me now. Over 300 for hex.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

What is a run of the mill mosin nagant where you are? Are those Molots? Pre war or wartime? Refubed?
B24

Post by B24 »

Informal_Bizmuth wrote:
B24 wrote:For $125 I would stocking up on run of the mill 91/30s!
Well now that I have a couple of 91/30s what I really want is a carbine, preferably an M38. But as I've never even seen one in-person...
Be careful carbines are very addictive. I have yet to run up on a M38 but be persistent in your search. I lucked up
on a 91/59 at a Pawn shop several months ago and they are rarer than M38s.