Unconventional Soviet M91/30 PEM Sniper

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
martin08

Unconventional Soviet M91/30 PEM Sniper

Post by martin08 »

First...

... my apologies for not posting for a couple of months. I've been in the process of selling my business, and needed to cut back on the internet time for a while. If all goes well next week, the lion's share of the sale project is complete, and I'll be signing on the dotted line.

I should be freed up for a while, and will have some catching up to do here! Thanks!

-Matt

Now on to the real news!
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
martin08

Re: Unconventional Soviet M91/30 PEM Sniper

Post by martin08 »

I suspect, since an original Mosin Nagant M91/30 built in PEM Sniper configuration is almost unheard of, that most all of them are unconventional. The ones which can be found are either decommissioned or rebuilt, mismatched and re-snipered with a mix of arsenal and/or aftermarket parts. Of the many thousand that were used and abused in WWII, only a few handfuls can be considered 100% legit today, and those are mostly in museums or in the hands of a select small number of collectors who nabbed them among the early imports from Finland.

Then, there's the one I found last week.

It's certainly not original, as it appears to be built from both a 1942 Tula Arsenal PEM Sniper (serial numbers of the bolt, magazine floorplate and stock buttplate are from a known PEM serial number range), and with a barrel from a 1937 Izhevsk Arsenal non-sniper. But the base and mount are original Soviet matching units, and the scope is an original non-refurbished PEM optic.

But the base and mount have an additional set of matching numbers, in a font other than Soviet. These new numbers would be consistent with stampings which are associated with German field depot or arsenal work. The base is attached to the gun with solid pins instead of the set-screw method which was used by the Soviets. The mount is also fitted with a non-original 'wing nut' style thumbscrew

Then, there is the strange stock.

A new piece of wood was spliced to the top comb and heel of the stock. The original buttplate was flattened to accommodate the new size and shape of the buttstock. To my knowledge, this would be the only example which can be found with this unusual alteration.

So, what is it? A true German rebuilt Sniper? Or a stateside gunsmith rebuild? Whichever, and judging by patina, it has been in the current configuration for a long time, and has seen a lot of handling and use since it was put together.

Besides being an extremely rare PEM Sniper, and built with all original Soviet parts, it's really a mystery. I bought this from a dealer who is both a family friend and a court appointed Personal Representative for the estate of the renowned collector, Carl "Bill" Morrison of Bradford, ME. The dealer expressed to me that the gun was bought by Morrison in 1947 from a returning US Armed Service member at Dow Air Force Base in Bangor, ME.

No matter what the actual history is behind the sniper, it's a keeper. I'll probably never have another chance to find one that is even half as interesting. So, more pics, enjoy, and thanks for looking.

-Matt

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Outstanding Martin, just outstanding....and really strange.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Provenance, excellent that you have some with this one as it's lacking in so many of these, at least this one you know were and when it was found back to '47. Personal pet weapon of someone with access to an armory and either possessing the skills of a trained armorer or commanding someone who had them. Some mystery's will never be solved, an excellent addition to the collection.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

When you are summoning these wonderful finds, do you walk around the pentacle 3 or 4 times counter clockwise? I can't seem to keep the proper formula straight.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

That stock is just crazy cool. Thanks for sharing.
King Johhny

Post by King Johhny »

WOW! :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: Awesome rifle!
M91/30 1940 Izhevsk
Oct 1944 Springfield Armory M1 Garand
Czech post war K98k
Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99
SMLE No.1 Mk.III 1918 "peddled scheme"
Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

The Germans did use a lot of captured soviet equipment, especially for non-wehrmacht units. Amazing find, Matt! :thumbsup:

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

How do you find these????

Wow... :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

very nice
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Rongo wrote:How do you find these????

Wow... :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
I don't want to know, I have enough places that take my money
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
entropy

Post by entropy »

You must be living right......or very, very wrong!

Nice unique PEM! Very Cool! :Drool1: :vcool:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Holy cow. Bubbaski got to rifle in Soviet as well. Looks cool, nice find.
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

Three things: 1 I'd wish you would sprinkle some lucky pixie dust over my head for good luck. #2 Good lord what a great looking rifle and #3 Why ain't that in the Showcase. She's got my vote. :Drool1:
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I need to learn a "bunch" on PEM sniper rifles and mounts. That is a different world from the PU world.

Very interesting and nice rifle!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Dolk