Newbie's F*** Up M39's Make Me Mad.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
qz2026

Re: Newbie's F*** Up M39's Make Me Mad.

Post by qz2026 »

At least he didn't destroy a real SAKO stamped stock unless he sanded all the stampings off. Obviously he destroyed the collector value of the rifle. His rifle, so his decision. We all disagree with this approach but nothing you can do about it. Bubba will be bubba.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Please refrain from posting these sorts of things. We have all seen bubba shit before and this only gives him the attention he wants.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

556m16 wrote:
millman wrote:Please refrain from posting these sorts of things. We have all seen bubba shit before and this only gives him the attention he wants.
Okay you can delete it if you want but I need this thread to show Bubba that this doesn't make you rifle worth more.
If Bubba reads this thread then he might not f*** with anymore rifles trying to increase the value.

If Bubba reads this and seeing everyone agree that the rifles in the video have had their value destroyed they might think twice before doing that again.
Usually we don't allow this on the forums. We have had people say "well, we saw one on your forums", or I got the idea from a photo or video on your forums.

So we just leave them out of here. That, and who want to just eat breakfast then go to the forums and see that crap.

They are a bunch of idiots and you can't stop idiots.........lets leave it at that. ;mywink;
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

millman wrote:Please refrain from posting these sorts of things. We have all seen bubba shit before and this only gives him the attention he wants.

:thumbsup:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

556, I appreciate your passion on this subject. We are in a time now where a refurbished take-off stock that has not been ruined will sell for what I once bought the entire rifle. I feel that it is just as important to preserve every model, whether it is a refurb common rifle, or a highly sought after Finn. These guys that sand stocks or poly coat them or even remove the shellac are screwing them up just as much as the guy who cuts off barrels and sights.
brian falcone

Post by brian falcone »

what about the guy who has a mosin with a beat up stock but buys an extra stock and refinished that to his liking but keeps the beat up original matching stock so the rifle can allways be brought back to its original condition but he does not mess with any other part of the rifle ?
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

The world is full of those that have an itch to F#CK with things that would better be left alone. They feel they have the ability to vastly improve on something; Or, the brain goo oozes down their spines when they touch a tool. Who knows.

I do take comfort in knowing the Mosin Nagant isn't a sub $100 rifle anymore. That will eliminate more potential gunsmithin' wannabes from touching these fine rifles.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Just checking out armslist in my area. Half of them Bubba'd. :angry4:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Fledge wrote:Just checking out armslist in my area. Half of them Bubba'd. :angry4:
Sad but true. I see more hacked guns available now... Wonder why people are so eager to part with them??? :facepalm1:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Once upon a time many moons ago you could buy an M39, even possibly a Tikka, or other "special" M39 for the huge sum of $45. At the time sales of this overpriced rifle were slow, it was seen as some sort of commie rifle maybe, or just couldn't compete in a market flooded with $200 M1 Garands and $150 US M1903's. Worse yet nobody could find any information about these odd rifles, and ammo availability was spotty. This is how many of these rifle's fell into Bubbas hands. Bubba will have $45, and think nothing of wasting it by destroying the rifle with camo paint jobs or sanding the stock to death.

Today we can with the click of a few keys ask Google to find us the known history of the M39, there are books, video's, even movies that feature it being used. Collectors have come to know it well, shooters have developed a respect for it's shooting capabilities, reloaders reload for it, surplus ammo can be found for it, and prices have shot past $350 for even the most common examples. $350-$500 gives the sandpaper experts, and paint enthusiast's pause in a way that $45 didn't, such people will rarely spend that kind of money on a "project" rifle when the same can buy a nice commercial sporter, a rifle that Bubba is trying to create when he takes sandpaper and such to a millsurp in the first place.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

Well put, Jim. It isn't the guys buying them now that are doing it to the rifles, it's the guys that bought them 10 years ago or more, or inherited Dad's and knew nothing about them, get this 'bright idea' to repeat the past mistakes done to countless Krags, Springfields, Mausers, Enfields, etc. We deplore the ruination of the history. Our consolation must be that each time Bubba J. Smith does this, our as-issued (or refurbed) Mosins become more valuable.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Don't ya just hate when JYD walks us down the path of "you should have got them yesterday" :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: ?......I wish, I wish I had gotten into my stuff years earlier .... : :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Anyone want in on an old Delorian??? :chuckles:

Prices are always moving. What you are paying for a Mosin today, you will wish you bought a dozen of them "today" in 10 years from now (or less). Prices are always going up.

Sure, wages aren't going up, but firearms are. :roll:

Get what you can afford today.......tomorrow you will be glade you did. (even at today's prices).

Dolk
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

dolk wrote:Anyone want in on an old Delorian???

Get what you can afford today.......tomorrow you will be glade you did. (even at today's prices).

Dolk
I think I'll pass on the Delorian. As for buying what you can afford, buy now or regret later.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

awalker1829 wrote:
dolk wrote:Anyone want in on an old Delorian???

Dolk
I think I'll pass on the Delorian. As for buying what you can afford, buy now or regret later.
Well, the dang Delorian didn't work for me either! :wink:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

TopperT wrote:Don't ya just hate when JYD walks us down the path of "you should have got them yesterday" :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: ?......I wish, I wish I had gotten into my stuff years earlier .... : :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:
All I got yesterday was the same serving of aggravation I got the day before. Now if you are talking milsurps and the 1980's and 90's well.....yea, The Happy Time :twisted:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Earl Burlin

Post by Earl Burlin »

The M39 was his property NOT yours. At least he is going to get some good use out of it, instead of swooning and drooling over it every once and a while when it's not stuck in your dark safe.

These rifles are meant to be USED. PERIOD.

There were nearly 40 million Nagant rifles made of all types. They are not rare. Some of you people need to get out to the range once and while to discover what these old guns are really about.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

They looked cool but weren't so hot once you really got a look at them. Nice concept-not so great execution. Kind of like a lot of other things-guns included. Beechcraft produced a futuristic turboprop that they branded the Starship. Very technology driven but the performance fell short. Beech finally discontinued product support and attempted to buy all of them back. Only owner who refused was Burt Rutan-had the means and the desire to keep his airplane. Now, on the other hand you have the Piaggio Avianti. Same concept (canards to control pitch and pusher engines) but very successful commercially. It's a Lamborghini with wings.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Earl Burlin wrote:The M39 was his property NOT yours. At least he is going to get some good use out of it, instead of swooning and drooling over it every once and a while when it's not stuck in your dark safe.

These rifles are meant to be USED. PERIOD.

There were nearly 40 million Nagant rifles made of all types. They are not rare. Some of you people need to get out to the range once and while to discover what these old guns are really about.
Earl, you are in the wrong forums.Try Gun and Games forum or may be Southern California Mosin Nagant forums. They like (and promote) hacking a Military Surplus rifle up (Bubba).

This is not about shooting Mosins at the range. No one here has said that is a bad idea...PERIOD. They are talking about "permanently altering a Mosin Nagant Military Surplus rifle by altering it like hacking off the barrel.

This BS of "it just a cheap rifle" is exactly what they said when they were importing the K98 Mausers back in the 60's. They took a hack saw to them and destroyed their value. Now that hacked up piece is worth maybe in the $300 to $400 range, where a untouched Mauser k98 is now worth north of $800 and hard to find.

No one is telling anyone what they can and can't do with their rifles at their house. Why are you so "sensitive"? We are telling you if you do hack it up (Bubba), don't bring it here (in our house) and pretend as if it is a good thing. This is a "preservation forum" Read the rules and look at the top of the forums header. It says just that. We have a right to impose those rules here in our house, if you don't like that.....there are other forums to take your rifle to and brag about it if you like. But you can not bring it here or defend those actions here...PERIOD.

Dolk

Don't try to crap on the floor of our living room and say it is a "good thing". ;mywink;
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

There are a lot of idiots still refinishing these from Classic even thought they are $400 now. Bubba likes classic. Look at the 91/30 photos on there. I hate when someone says they made millions of these. How many were lost during war and transportation? How many through natural disasters? These rifles are still being used by other countries--not every single rifle that was made will make it to the U.S. market. A lot of the ones that do get imported are ruined by bubba. Some mosin variants are extremely scarce. I get a chuckle when I see a particular Mauser described as being rare because 50,000 were produced. Yet, some Finnish rifles only had production numbers in the hundreds for a particular year--and these are only referred to as "scarce"....or produced "in the millions" by the unknowing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mosin Fanboy