M91-38 1904 Izhevsk

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
djbuck1

M91-38 1904 Izhevsk

Post by djbuck1 »

A recent acquisition, this M91-38 is unusual and something of a mystery in that has a Hungarian stock and looks like it has seen service. The rifle appears to have been together this way for some time. It was uncharacteristically dirty for the type, and the receiver and chamber were full of that crappy grease common to Mosins.

The history will likely never be known. Theories/conjecture welcome.

redeuce

Re: M91-38 1904 Izhevsk

Post by redeuce »

That is an interesting rifle.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Odd bird for sure, excecpt for the barreled action and mag assy it looks like a Romanian mix master, but the bluing (or lack of) on some parts tells me this rifles parts came together sometime well after it was cut down to a 91/38.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin

Post by WWW »

Interesting indeed.

It looks like the front barrel band and the handguard end caps were painted with some sort of brown paint, as if they didn't want their "shiny bits" standing out in battle.

Of course, the bolt is shiny, but that was possibly/probably swapped out (and force matched) later anyway.

At least that's my theory. :)
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

91/38 sporterized sometime in the last 10-15 years and then returned to military by the addition of a Romanian used Hungarian stock and parts when prices started to rise on these. Nice find.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

WWW wrote:Interesting indeed.

It looks like the front barrel band and the handguard end caps were painted with some sort of brown paint,

The front barrel band has a "plum " coolered bluing, and is probably Polish. This can be confirmed if it has a "y" inspection stamp like the one pictured below.

“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Very cool, I gots to gets me one.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!

Post by WWW »

Miller Tyme wrote:
WWW wrote:Interesting indeed.

It looks like the front barrel band and the handguard end caps were painted with some sort of brown paint,

The front barrel band has a "plum " coolered bluing, and is probably Polish. This can be confirmed if it has a "y" inspection stamp like the one pictured below.

A-ha! An actual answer! I've heard of the plum colored bluing, but have never seen it in person.

Now we need more pics...
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Nice looking piece. Lots of neat things going for it.
uberjon

Post by uberjon »

I was bidding against you on this rifle and also really liked it. Who knows how or where the stock got added but it's a cool gun.
neal45

Post by neal45 »

"The Boss" has a good theory but you can never be sure. I really like it anyway, partly because of the cool stock.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I sort of agree with the boss on this one. As far as my understanding goes, these guns were never issued or if issued - it was very sparingly. Always a chance it ended up in the Balkans and went through Cugir. That would explain the Hungarian stock. But, I don't think so. Likely fussed with at some point and then mounted in an 02 stock. Shame... but, you have the real deal there, so congrats. I don't believe I saw the listing for this one. The stock does have some unique qualities to it. Too bad, the original 02 rifle was removed.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

uberjon wrote:I was bidding against you on this rifle and also really liked it. Who knows how or where the stock got added but it's a cool gun.
Yes, despite the Hungarian stock I couldn't pass it up. I do have my other M91/38, but they don't seem to come around often in any configuration.

Post by WWW »

djbuck1 wrote:
Yes, despite the Hungarian stock I couldn't pass it up. I do have my other M91/38, but they don't seem to come around often in any configuration.
So does it have a Polish Mark on the front barrel band?

Can you take another picture of it to show the "plum" color better?
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

WWW wrote:
djbuck1 wrote:

I will check, tonight.
mitch5690

Post by mitch5690 »

My 91/38 had a plum band also... So dunno if it was only a polish thing
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Many 91/38's have plum bands and cleaning rods. You will see this with some 91/59's as well. Obviously, many of the B Barrel Finn's were plum colored as well. I really think it is the type of steel they used that turns reddish when their "bluing" is applied to it. I have a Soviet refurb Star Model B and it's extractor is the same way.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

djbuck1 wrote:
WWW wrote:
djbuck1 wrote:

I will check, tonight.
I checked both this rifle and my 1915 PTG M91/38. Both have plum colored front barrel bands. Neither one has the band marked in any way.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Too much for me to comment on .....other then I will note:

The bolt is not "electro pencil" to match,.....it is "arc penciled" to match. Arc pencil occurred on late model M91/30's and M44's from after the war to 1948. If a bolt was replaced then, they were using a arc pencil to match them back on......Also.....on the M91/59's. They were arc penciled also.

Am I crazy, or is some of those numbers upside down and backwards on the bolt?
combo.png

It is interesting this one has an arc pencil match on the bolt. Not sure what that means on this rifle at all......Just noting.

It's looks a M91/38 that was placed into a Hungarian stock sometime.

Dolk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neal45

Post by neal45 »

dolk wrote: Am I crazy, or is some of those numbers upside down and backwards on the bolt?
Wow Dolk, I missed that and have not seen it before. That is really unusual.