New book "M91/30 Rifles and M38/M44 Carbines in 1941-1945, Accessories and Devices"

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
joe7170

Re: New book "M91/30 Rifles and M38/M44 Carbines in 1941-1945, Accessories and Devices"

Post by joe7170 »

qz2026 wrote:Here are some goodies after only reading about 10 pages...
Amazing - a can't put down book that explains a lot of what we have speculated on for so long. Some hints...

1. The real reason why production of 1941 Tula rifles were so low
2. The absolute incredible shortage of weapons Russia had to deal with just prior and for some time after the war started
3. The shocking number of lost weapons after Germany invaded.
4. The reason why and the luck Russians experienced that explains why hex receivers were used on many early war rifles. We see very few examples of these but they were produced in rather large numbers.

Mine was postmarked on 3/25 and was delivered to my PO on 4/6.

I think Alex hire pretty Ukrainian girl to lick stamp :lol:

Too bad he can't send pretty Ukraine girl with book :vsad:
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
NLMosin

Re: New book "M91/30 Rifles and M38/M44 Carbines in 1941-1945, Accessories and Devices"

Post by NLMosin »

:vcool: Pretty girls are a dime a dozen! A book that gives you real tangible info on Mosins......now thats something!
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Mine is on the way also.
Does that mean you will read it once and sell it a a bargain price??????? :chuckles:

Seriously, l'm in.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good luck, no, this one I need to keep. Don't worry, I will go down to the neighbors and get some romance novels for your next discount book box. You know the books were some male undershorts model is stripped to the waist holding a lady with large hooters on the front cover?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Good luck, no, this one I need to keep. Don't worry, I will go down to the neighbors and get some romance novels for your next discount book box. You know the books were some male undershorts model is stripped to the waist holding a lady with large hooters on the front cover?
:thumbsup: :chuckles:

I ordered mine yesterday after all the positive comments. Looking forward to getting it.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

talk about stamps...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Anyone have the link to the website for tracking?
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:Anyone have the link to the website for tracking?
I have bought a lot of stuff from Eastern Europe. Tracking shows shipped and then you get surprised when it hits the mail box.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Just requested two, hope they're still available. All of you guy's talking this book up has forced me to get one as well!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

SA1911a1 wrote:
BuckeyeSgt wrote:Anyone have the link to the website for tracking?
I have bought a lot of stuff from Eastern Europe. Tracking shows shipped and then you get surprised when it hits the mail box.

Yeah you normally can track it till it leave Europe, then it's just wait till the pony express rolls up :lol:
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Lotema wrote:Just requested two, hope they're still available. All of you guy's talking this book up has forced me to get one as well!
They are still available. Alex told me today he has about half of them sold already. He had 500 printed total and 470 available for sale. All I can say to anyone on the fence is don't wait to long or you'll miss the boat.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Lotema wrote:Just requested two, hope they're still available. All of you guy's talking this book up has forced me to get one as well!
Ordered mine a few days back. He still has them this book will not be available forever, and folks will be kicking themselves for not getting it.
Ratnik

Post by Ratnik »

qz2026 wrote: I think Alex hire pretty Ukrainian girl to lick stamp :lol:
I wouldn't say they are very pretty. Just old ladies from the Post Office :)
joe7170 wrote: Too bad he can't send pretty Ukraine girl with book :vsad:
Considering their weight, shipping will be VERY expensive :lol:

Ok, now I'm talking seriously. They have special tooling to place stamps. It is allowed to send books as special type of package, which is cheaper than package for example for goods (6$-7$ difference). But it require stamps. So sometimes this cause 1 day delay with shipping - post office don't have enough stamps to process all packages, so they order them ,receive them at the next day, and than they process parcels.
However, if somebody did not like stamps, and want to pay more for shipping, please ask about this option :)
Besides, I should think about this earlier - it is possible to order custom design of stamps. It will be cool if stamps had Mosins on them

When book is not exported from Ukraine, it can be tracked here
http://ukrposhta.ua/en/vidslidkuvati-forma-poshuku
Up to October 2015 it was possible to track parcels at USPS website. But then they changed their policies, and tracking info now is not visible online. However, they are tracked. If somebody have Ebay account, and sold something recently, he can upload tracking number that I provided to the details of Ebay transaction, and you will have tracking info (in few hours, when database will be updated).
I have such possibility, but as you understand, it's difficult to do it for every parcel. So if somebody did not received parcel in 2,5 weeks after I provided tracking number, please write me, I will check your tracking info.
And small tip - if at the classic USPS website (not mobile version), after you enter tracking number you get message "The Postal Service could not locate the tracking information for your request. Please verify your tracking number and try again later", parcel currently is not imported to USA, in case you see "USPS Tracking™ is unavailable for this product for UKRAINE.", it is alreasy imported.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Just like everything else 'Mosin'....limited supply....low price now. Its like the $69 Mosin that goes for $269 now....in ten years when you guys cant get the book I'll be selling the one that cost me $42 for $142!! :twisted: :chuckles:
People live together.
thughes

Post by thughes »

NLMosin wrote:Just like everything else 'Mosin'....limited supply....low price now. Its like the $69 Mosin that goes for $269 now....in ten years when you guys cant get the book I'll be selling the one that cost me $42 for $142!! :twisted: :chuckles:
For sure.

I have been trying to hunt down a copy of Serbian & Yugoslav Mausers by Branko Bogdanovic, it's been out of print since mid-2000. Original price was $14.99, current prices start at $150. (I don't want it that bad)
Screwball

New book "M91/30 Rifles and M38/M44 Carbines in 1941-1945, Accessories and Devices"

Post by Screwball »

thughes wrote:I have been trying to hunt down a copy of Serbian & Yugoslav Mausers by Branko Bogdanovic, it's been out of print since mid-2000. Original price was $14.99, current prices start at $150. (I don't want it that bad)
Wish I knew that a few months back to give you a heads up... Gun Show Books had them for around the original price. When I got my M48A, I wanted the book to go with it.

For the Mosin book, mine is on the way. [emoji41] I like the non-common info that you don't get easily on the internet. Keep those type of books on my desk, in case I want to look something up quick.

Got to find a spot for this book. [emoji107] But out of everything, the one that isn't easily seen is the PM remake magazine for taking care of the M16 in Vietnam.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

93f5784379b9587d272b74584cadaa79.jpg
:pointup:
Who wrote that little fella?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
People live together.
Screwball

Post by Screwball »

The Ministry of Defense of the USSR... [emoji6]

It was translated by James Gebhardt.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

thughes wrote:
NLMosin wrote:Just like everything else 'Mosin'....limited supply....low price now. Its like the $69 Mosin that goes for $269 now....in ten years when you guys cant get the book I'll be selling the one that cost me $42 for $142!! :twisted: :chuckles:
For sure.

I have been trying to hunt down a copy of Serbian & Yugoslav Mausers by Branko Bogdanovic, it's been out of print since mid-2000. Original price was $14.99, current prices start at $150. (I don't want it that bad)
You must be kidding. I bought a new copy of Bogdanovic's book, several months ago, and I whined about paying $30.00 for it. I can't recall for sure, but it probably came from either Ebay or Amazon.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

Ratnik wrote:
qz2026 wrote: I think Alex hire pretty Ukrainian girl to lick stamp :lol:
I wouldn't say they are very pretty. Just old ladies from the Post Office :)
joe7170 wrote: Too bad he can't send pretty Ukraine girl with book :vsad:
Considering their weight, shipping will be VERY expensive :lol:

Ok, now I'm talking seriously. They have special tooling to place stamps. It is allowed to send books as special type of package, which is cheaper than package for example for goods (6$-7$ difference). But it require stamps. So sometimes this cause 1 day delay with shipping - post office don't have enough stamps to process all packages, so they order them ,receive them at the next day, and than they process parcels.
However, if somebody did not like stamps, and want to pay more for shipping, please ask about this option :)
Besides, I should think about this earlier - it is possible to order custom design of stamps. It will be cool if stamps had Mosins on them

When book is not exported from Ukraine, it can be tracked here
http://ukrposhta.ua/en/vidslidkuvati-forma-poshuku
Up to October 2015 it was possible to track parcels at USPS website. But then they changed their policies, and tracking info now is not visible online. However, they are tracked. If somebody have Ebay account, and sold something recently, he can upload tracking number that I provided to the details of Ebay transaction, and you will have tracking info (in few hours, when database will be updated).
I have such possibility, but as you understand, it's difficult to do it for every parcel. So if somebody did not received parcel in 2,5 weeks after I provided tracking number, please write me, I will check your tracking info.
And small tip - if at the classic USPS website (not mobile version), after you enter tracking number you get message "The Postal Service could not locate the tracking information for your request. Please verify your tracking number and try again later", parcel currently is not imported to USA, in case you see "USPS Tracking™ is unavailable for this product for UKRAINE.", it is alreasy imported.
Awesome thanks Ratnik!!

Mine displays the "USPS Tracking™ is unavailable for this product for UKRAINE." so mine must be here in the states, only a matter of time now I guess :D