M38 and M44

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MNMose

M38 and M44

Post by MNMose »

Thanks for the welcome back, all. I promised some pictures of the M38 and M44. I was playing with a photo-stitching program trying to get a good image of the carbines. Since I need to run, I'm posting the best so far. Please forgive the bent fore ends. I will post more later.

The M38 is a nice, all matching 1941 Izhevsk carbine. My only non-counterbored M38, and probably in the top 5 barrel conditions among my Russian Mosin Nagants. All pieces are Izhevsk that I have found so far. I wonder where this one hid out the war.

The poorer cousin is a 1946 Izhevsk with a piece missing from the stock and the previous owner spray painted it. You can just see the missing piece to the left of the receiver. I can see the ejector and almost to the bottom of the receiver. I asked the seller what the story was and he said when he bought it the stock was in bad shape with a missing piece so, he painted it. I was hoping a 1946 M44 would have been in better shape but, the bore is pitted with ok rifling. It had active corrosion in the bore when I got it so, my guess is the guy shot it and didn't clean it well. Otherwise all parts match and the headspace is good. I will put this one in the restoration section. I've not had one like this before.
2 mosins resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pacanis

Re: M38 and M44

Post by pacanis »

Thanks for the pics, MNM.
I love that dark stock on the carbine.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They look fine :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

pacanis wrote:Thanks for the pics, MNM.
I love that dark stock on the carbine.
The painted one? :redfaced:

Too bad about the previous owner & his ability to wield a can of spray paint.

Welcome back!! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Look forward to following your restoration work. Spray paint, some peoples kids..........................

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If they are not tagging with it, or huffing it, they are spraying it on rifles....
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

At least he saved the best part for you. You have a couple of good additions.
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Shoot, that was painted? It looks like that dark, greasy looking wood I've seen. At least on my laptop.
oops :oops:
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I wonder if you could toss the stock in an oven on low heat and maybe sweat the paint off by baking the cosmo out of the stock??? The paint wouldn't have stuck well if there was any residue of it at all, maybe you'll get lucky.

Don't use the wife's oven BTW... they get kinda miffed about doing stuff like that in the kitchen...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Why? what's wrong with baking gun parts in the oven? I do it all the time :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Chumlee Bumsnag

Post by Chumlee Bumsnag »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Why? what's wrong with baking gun parts in the oven? I do it all the time :)
People mock me on SKS boards when I tell them to put new Chinese stocks in the oven. I put them in at 170 degrees and it takes about 2 hours to sweat out the cosmo. I come back every 15 minutes and wipe them with paper towel. Soaked every time.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I sometimes bake black powder revolver parts to remove water after a scrubbing. Cookie sheet, low heat, then toss in some leftover pizza for lunch :)
Theodore Roosevelt
MNMose

Post by MNMose »

Chestnuts roasting by an open fire. Carbine stocks in the oven. Sounds like a new Coca-cola commercial. :P
Danial

Post by Danial »

On the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me, an M-forty-four car-bine!

(Ok sorry, maybe I'm a little too new for that kind of outburst..)
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Not when it makes sense, actually fits the tune...and had me humming it outloud :)

:lol:
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

On the second day of Christmas could I have two ex-dragoon Tulas???

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper