Saw something new on GB...

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Varangian

Saw something new on GB...

Post by Varangian »

I was looking at this over on Gunbroker over the last week or so. I never saw something like this before... Does anyone know how many of these were made? I've never saw one of these let alone heard of it before last week.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =540792018

The auction ended a few days ago btw.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Saw something new on GB...

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I never got into the sport conversions of milsurps, this looks like something Bannerman would have made. I would be a little fuzzy on how a Serb M91 gets back to Russia.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Varangian

Post by Varangian »

The origin story the seller gave was a bit off I agree... I don't believe its Serbian in origin. Wasn't the Bannerman conversions exclusively done on American made m91s though? The fact that its an early Chatellerault M91 that doesn't have any signs of either German or Finnish capture marks makes me think its been in Eastern Europe/Russia for most of the last century don't you think?
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Just a guess but I would say European Bubba? Bill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Bannerman was in business into the 1960's and involved in conversions of everything at least into the 1950's. It is possible they could have gotten M91's from the Spanish hoard. This sort of shotgun conversion is fairly common, the British made things like this out of Martini Henry rifles to arm colonial troops who's loyalty they were skeptical about. Bannerman made the "Zulu" shotgun out of old French muskets, this could even be a home done job. Some European countries have rules about civilian guns sharing a caliber with military rifles.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Post WW1 there where a lot of small gunsmiths converting old Military rifles ( which was a big no-no to own) into sporting/ hunting shotguns. There was a company in Germany whose name I believe was GEHA that converted hundreds if not thousands of GEW98's into shotguns.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Varangian wrote:I was looking at this over on Gunbroker over the last week or so. I never saw something like this before... Does anyone know how many of these were made? I've never saw one of these let alone heard of it before last week.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =540792018

The auction ended a few days ago btw.
Frolavka's were made at the arsenals. Mine is in 28 gauge with matching assembly numbers. There is a link to my thread on Gunboards about it in the shotgun section here-under, "Mosin shotgun", I think. I purchased mine due to its military provenance (US history), not because it's an oddball.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:vconfused: Mosin goose gun, or squirrel, reaches the top of the tallest white oak. :lol:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Ha ha, nice.
gopedxr7

Post by gopedxr7 »

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRareShotgun.htm

i always find these kind of conversions interesting.