Old Colt Revolver

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
SA1911a1

Old Colt Revolver

Post by SA1911a1 »

I have been on an old revolver binge as of late. This one followed me home today from a sleazy pawn shop. Colt Model of 1903, accepted by the Army in 1904. Reported to be chambered for .38 spl, but I will not shoot anything hotter than .38 S&W, and very few of them. (the chamber will load a large variety of .38 rounds, including .38 S&W, .38 short colt, .38 long colt) It matches all round including the grips that are penciled with the last 4. The finish has faded to a consistent grey/brown patina. It is hard (for me) to photograph properly. This is the revolver (and caliber) that convinced the army to go back to a .45 round as the .38 just didn't have enough initial knock-down power.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
BubbaDX

Re: Old Colt Revolver

Post by BubbaDX »

Very nice. And in great shape for its age. I absolutely love the patina. Very cool. Whether you shoot it or not, it was a good score. Shooting it is just a bonus. :vcool: :vcool:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That is very cool Steve. You definitely found a keeper here. It should be fun shooting some light loads. What about some light handloaded 38 spl wadcutters?
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

bunkysdad wrote:That is very cool Steve. You definitely found a keeper here. It should be fun shooting some light loads. What about some light handloaded 38 spl wadcutters?
Thanks Dad, I thought it was cool as well. A couple of months ago I found another one that was in a little better condition and somewhat cheaper, but It was traded with my son for a nice 91/59. When I saw this one, I just couldn't resist.

These guns have a reputation of being both complicated and fragile. Parts are nearly non-existent and few gunsmiths have the ability or the desire to work on them. I shot a few rounds through it today as a function test and it will be a while before it comes out to play again. It shot well and was dead on, and I would like to make sure it remains that way on my watch.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Absolutely love it, nice score. Now for that lanyard and holster?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

8-) Nice! I see it has Rinaldo A Carr's cartouche.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Well done, that serial number according to Colt records is, 1903 "NEW ARMY & NAVY MODELS 1892,94,95,96,1901 & 03"
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

1892 engineering and 1903 machine work:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: Nice.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)