At long last, something new

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

At long last, something new

Post by millman »

I sold my GP100 long ago and Longcolt44 made me send him Security six back, so I decided I needed another Ruger. Found this today. A SP101 Kit gun. I am going to put some Wollfe springs in it, but other than that it looks and feels good. I'll see how it shoots when the snow stops.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: At long last, something new

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good looking revolver :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

P1090003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Thanks Jim. Imagine a 1/2 size GP100 and that is what this is like. Plus it's an 8 shot.

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Very nice but one question. When did you start shooting outside? :twisted:

The night is young. I may have some groups by morning, If it were Saturday, you could expect a range report. Colibris at 14 feet.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Very nice. I had one for a little while. Price was too good to pass up. I parted with it and got the .327. You're going to have some fun.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a nice revolver. How are the stores up your way fixed for .22 LR?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

SA1911a1 wrote:That is a nice revolver. How are the stores up your way fixed for .22 LR?
Thanks. We can get .22lr almost as readily as the old days. I have been going by our local Academy Sports a couple of times a month and buying a box of whatever they had. Last few times I could get bulk packs. I now have a stash that I don't mind plinking from.

C. S. Lewis
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That is good news on the revolver and the ammo. I have quit looking for ammo as of late. I am sitting in the parking lot at Walmart right now while my wife gets a few things. Tempted to run inside and check on 22's but honestly I don't need em. I'd rather buy some reloading powder
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

These SP101 rimfire have not been out too long have they? Couple years or less? Anyway I sure like Ruger stainless. My brother has the single action 10 shot, the Super Single 10. :)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You can tell I'm excited about your pistol can't you? I keep posting about it. Let me know how the Wolff Spring kit does in this. Should feel like a action job has been done.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

bunkysdad wrote:You can tell I'm excited about your pistol can't you? I keep posting about it. Let me know how the Wolff Spring kit does in this. Should feel like a action job has been done.
I will keep you posted. The wolffe springs made a big difference in LC44's Security Six.

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

millman wrote:
bunkysdad wrote:You can tell I'm excited about your pistol can't you? I keep posting about it. Let me know how the Wolff Spring kit does in this. Should feel like a action job has been done.
I will keep you posted. The wolffe springs made a big difference in LC44's Security Six.
Yes it did, a lot better. I would advise anybody to at least try them out. Wolfe springs are cheap and if it is not to your liking change back.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I'd post some more Rugers for ya since you are so excited but this is Eric's day. 8-)
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:
I'd post some more Rugers for ya since you are so excited but this is Eric's day. 8-)
Go ahead. I would like to see them. 8-)

C. S. Lewis
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

All .327's
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I didn't know they ever had a .327 GP100. Those are all sweet. It's a bit pricy plinking with .327 Mag isn't it?

C. S. Lewis
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

millman wrote:I didn't know they ever had a .327 GP100. Those are all sweet. It's a bit pricy plinking with .327 Mag isn't it?
I bought that one before prices shot way up on them. A bit pricy yes but it's a fun cartridge. I have a small stash so I'm good for a while.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I was looking for a gun to fit the canoeing/fishing kit gun niche. I looked at the Charter Arms Pathfinder, until I realized that the grip frame on them is made of plastic. That was the deal breaker for me. I just ponied up and spent the extra $ for the all steel Ruger. As some may note, I could have spent even more and come away with a S&W that fills the same niche in more style. This may be true, but in my area new Smith .22s start at about $700, and used ones are unobtainium. I gave up on finding that "barn find" K22 long ago.

C. S. Lewis
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I'm sure Russell would agree, you made a fine choice.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F