Best 22lr for plinking up to 200 yards

Rim Fire Firearms
cleanneon98

Best 22lr for plinking up to 200 yards

Post by cleanneon98 »

Looking to replace my GSG522 with a more accurate, probably bolt action, longer rifle. Will be shooting at small targets at 50 yards, paper at 50/100/200, and also some larher steel targets at 200 yards as well. I understand there are problems with the 22lr during it's supersonic-subsonic transition, and right now I am getting velocities of 1200fps at the muzzle, so even by 100 yards, the bullet is unstable. Either looking to get something that will shoot super fast so I don't hit the transition (but that requires expensive ammo) or something bolt action that won't have cycling issues with subsonic ammo and will be a little more accurate at distance. I understand the drop of the round at that distance, and will be using optics to help out.

Not looking to spend over $500 for the rifle itself, optics are a separate budget
1943 SAKO M39 SK.Y #505023
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Best 22lr for plinking up to 200 yards

Post by millman »

IMHO 200 yards is kinda wishful thinking for a .22lr.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

There are many rifles that would work on the shorter distances. Savage and Ruger both make some nice ones. For more serious target work Kimber 84s make a nice starter, or an H&R M12. Then there are a myriad of older bolt .22s. Rimefires are as bad a sickness as Mosins.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
cleanneon98

Post by cleanneon98 »

I like the packaging of the Savage MK2 with the wood stock, but can't find that one with an accu-trigger as well. I kind of want both.

Dick's has a great deal on a Savage MK2 GXP with a scope already installed. $199, but no accu-trigger, and it doesn't seem like something I can add down the road.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

200 yards? Easy, I buy good quality ammunition from Winchester, Remington, or Federal, then I go find some kid with perfect vision to shoot the rifle for me. :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

I've got a regular ol' Ruger 10/22 with the average bull barrel on it in a normal polymer stock. I can pass a folded dollar bill between the barrel and stock, so it ended up being floated. Combined with a cheap 9-12 scope and it'll punch paper out to 100-120 yards consistently. The barrel is a Butler Creek and the stock is...is something.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:200 yards? Easy, I buy good quality ammunition from Winchester, Remington, or Federal, then I go find some kid with perfect vision to shoot the rifle for me. :)
Jim, that is certainly one way to handle it, but I would get in the golf cart, drive up to 50 yards and do my own shooting.

I don't think I ever attempted to shoot a .22 at a target over about 75 yards, so I can offer no good solutions to the OP. I do, however have a Chinese JW-15, bolt action .22 that will send squirrels to tree heaven, every shot, at 75 yards, with bulk ammo and with the assistance of an inexpensive scope.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
cleanneon98

Post by cleanneon98 »

I went with a Savage MK II BV with a 21" bull barrel, and a laminated wood stock. It will be wearing a 6x steady power Primary Arms ACSS scope, specifically designed for the 22lr with a BDC to 200 yards, which is perfect cause my range goes to 200. The reticle has a part which you can use to range targets, specifically 12oz bottles and cans, and sporting clays, out to 200 yards. Will be FUN!

tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

millman wrote:IMHO 200 yards is kinda wishful thinking for a .22lr.
Yeah; what he said. It starts to look kind of like a mortar trajectory at 200.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You can shoot steel at that range, like hickock 45 and get the tink sound when you connect. Nice rifle selection buddy. How bout a pic?
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

I'm going to be a little sarcastic here and say anything you can get your hands on, .22LR is still in very short supply here in The Valley of the Sun.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
entropy

Post by entropy »

You're talking Anschutz 1413 and Winchester 52D territory there, and they're usually only shot competitively at a max of 100 yards. The Savage is a good gun for the $$$, The hashmarks on that BDC look suspiciously close together for .22lr. Sure it isn't for .223 Rem.?
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
cleanneon98

Post by cleanneon98 »

entropy wrote:You're talking Anschutz 1413 and Winchester 52D territory there, and they're usually only shot competitively at a max of 100 yards. The Savage is a good gun for the $$$, The hashmarks on that BDC look suspiciously close together for .22lr. Sure it isn't for .223 Rem.?
Positive. That's a 6x power scope. Primary arms makes a 223 reticle which at 5x goes all the way to 800 yards using a similar size tree.

I have the same optic in a 4x Prism variety with an illuminated reticle on my WASR and it's just awesome.

Yes I have steel at 200 at my range. Satisfying pings are what it's all about.