Colt Revolver

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
SA1911a1

Colt Revolver

Post by SA1911a1 »

I stepped into some new territory today. My first Colt revolver is on the way. A 1941 "Official Police" model in .38/200 made for the British when they were pressed for firearms. It seems as if between 15,000 and 48,000 were made, depending on which "expert" you listen to. This one has an early serial number, is in probably 70% condition and I paid too much for it, and I am ok with that. It ships today from the Carolinas so maybe I can have a photo session by the weekend.

I have been stocking up on .38 S&W as I can find deals on it for the other vintage guns I have been buying lately, so I am not overly concerned about ammo availability or cost. It is not like this will be my everyday range gun.

If anyone has any knowledge of these, please share it with me. One question that I am perplexed about is this; does the British connection, markings, and low production add or detract to or from the .38 spl. guns made for American use?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Colt Revolver

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Any extra history adds to the value, in this case it is not just a Colt, it is a Colt made for and then issued by a military force making it a milsurp.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This reminds me of a bull session many years ago when some handgun collectors were showing off this and that S&W, Colt, and so on, all nice clean guns. One ancient guy pulls a well worn revolver out of a bag, 1917 Colt, casually mentions that he had picked it up in a place called Belleau Wood from a man who wouldn't be needing it any more, it had saved his life twice in the days that followed and he kept it ever since. Every eye in the room was glued on that revolver, and at that time despite a New Service going for maybe $120 or less on the market, that worn old piece was pretty much the most sought after gun in the room that day. History adds value.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I received this revolver earlier today. A nice way to end the collecting year. It is in better condition than I expected has a perfect bore, and covered in British markings. I looks and functions really nicely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Nice!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
entropy

Post by entropy »

That's a great find! :Drool1: You don't see too many of them, because the British Govt. dumped the ones they still had into the sea after WWII. So any here would be 'exchange' bringbacks, traded to Tommies who really coveted a 1911, and probably tossed in a bottle or two of good Scotch with the .38.

That is an interesting mark- The usual British service proof mark is a crown over the letters B N P (Birmingham Nitro Proof) Canadian proof marks are crossed swords with D and C on either side of the swords, and P below the cross. (Dominion of Canada Proof)

I thought it could be a Webley Proof mark, and it could be, but the Webleys I've seen have the 'crown B N P' mark.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

entropy wrote:That's a great find! :Drool1: You don't see too many of them, because the British Govt. dumped the ones they still had into the sea after WWII. So any here would be 'exchange' bringbacks, traded to Tommies who really coveted a 1911, and probably tossed in a bottle or two of good Scotch with the .38.

That is an interesting mark- The usual British service proof mark is a crown over the letters B N P (Birmingham Nitro Proof) Canadian proof marks are crossed swords with D and C on either side of the swords, and P below the cross. (Dominion of Canada Proof)

I thought it could be a Webley Proof mark, and it could be, but the Webleys I've seen have the 'crown B N P' mark.
My scant research indicates that the mark is the "Woolrich Arsenal" acceptance mark that was probably applied at the Colt factory by British inspectors. Various parts have other British markings, mostly from the London Proof House. It also has the British version of a "billboard", being the caliber and pressure test (4 tons) and nitro proof on the barrel. It seems that these were applied when the revolver was taken out of service and prepared for commercial sales.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
entropy

Post by entropy »

Maybe it was just the private arms that were donated to the British that were dumped in the sea. I had never seen that 'W' mark before; another one to file in the cerebral library.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
+dhic

Post by +dhic »

I found some .361, 200 gr long nose bullets for a 38-200 load. I'm going to load a few for my Aussie Victory. Best I can find
out they are loaded to around 600 fps. I load meek & mild 145 gr for the break tops .
+dhic
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

What a great way to end the year. A great find and beautiful piece of history. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice find.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!