M39 Review...........Post Your m39's We have some new one's on the forums!!!

Post your model specific Mosin here!
Fledge

Re: M39 Review...........Post Your m39's We have some new one's on the forums!!!

Post by Fledge »

Finally got around to cleaning up this 43' Sk.Y. Most of the bluing its gone, and it has some well done stock repairs. I got it for under current retail, so I am quite happy with it.
DSC_0553.JPG
DSC_0542.JPG
DSC_0550.JPG
DSC_0541.JPG
Partially scrubbed tang. Maybe a Sestro 1916?
DSC_0545.JPG
Arsenal repair
DSC_0548.JPG
Another arsenal repair
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fledge

Re: M39 Review...........Post Your m39's We have some new one's on the forums!!!

Post by Fledge »

1944 VKT with a pretty stock.
DSC_0545.JPG
DSC_0538.JPG
DSC_0548.JPG
DSC_0536.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Those are beautiful stocks! My 1943 Sk.Y. has virtually all bluing gone and is in a boring post war stock. I wasn't thrilled when it showed up from Classic Firearms. However, it has an very light trigger, which I am happy about. I'm looking forward to getting it out and shooting it!
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
airbornetrooper

Post by airbornetrooper »

Fledge wrote:Finally got around to cleaning up this 43' Sk.Y. Most of the bluing its gone, and it has some well done stock repairs. I got it for under current retail, so I am quite happy with it.
Yep you sure did, you won that one for $350 which is a steal!
Author of The Finnish Mosin-Nagant: Three Line Rifle to Ukko Pekka (For sale below)
The Finnish Mosin-Nagant
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Yup $350 Buy it now price. It is actually a lot nicer than I could have hoped for.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

1941 SAKO matching bolt, barrel, receiver with non-matching magazine. This one came from Burns directly before they sold to Classic. In correct SAKO war time stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

capt14k wrote:1941 SAKO matching bolt, barrel, receiver with non-matching magazine. This one came from Burns directly before they sold to Classic. In correct SAKO war time stock.

That is a nice one. There is just something about the m39!

locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

I have two 1944's a VKT and a Sako Under the receiver shank on the Sako is either a 9 arrow up 9 or a 6 arrow down 6, can anyone interpret?
StagrhandShooter

Post by StagrhandShooter »

What are people's experience with a "D" vs non-"D" barrel in the accuracy Dept? Is 54r ammo safe in a non-"D" barrel?
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: M39 Review...........Post Your m39's We have some new one's on the forums!!!

Post by capt14k »

StagrhandShooter wrote:What are people's experience with a "D" vs non-"D" barrel in the accuracy Dept? Is 54r ammo safe in a non-"D" barrel?
Probably the wrong thread for your question. Start new thread.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
HughMunguz

Post by HughMunguz »

Gotta love the wartime stock though :)

Apologize in advance for crappy pictures.. Cameramanship is not my forte :\
STG58

Post by STG58 »

1944 made on a 1896 receiver.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

One of these days we will have to do a count and see how many M39's we have on the board. I have between 14-17, too much trouble to dig them all out of storage, but that number is close, I know some here have many more than that. The M39, highest form of the Mosin infantry rifle.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
McAlistor

Post by McAlistor »

Hello, new to the forums! Just picked up my first Mosin, an M39. Looking forward to researching on how to properly care for it with the help of the forums here. It's not in the greatest shape, but at least it's a place for me to start and maybe pick up a new hobby :)

Hopefully I'll be able to post some before and after pictures early next year when I have some free time to work on it. In the meantime, here are some photos of the markings. The only one I'm confused on is the crest with the PK letters under it, I'm guessing it's a variation of the emblem for the Proof Commission, Probaya Komissiya, just haven't seen it before.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

McAlistor wrote:Hello, new to the forums! Just picked up my first Mosin, an M39. Looking forward to researching on how to properly care for it with the help of the forums here. It's not in the greatest shape, but at least it's a place for me to start and maybe pick up a new hobby :)

Hopefully I'll be able to post some before and after pictures early next year when I have some free time to work on it. In the meantime, here are some photos of the markings. The only one I'm confused on is the crest with the PK letters under it, I'm guessing it's a variation of the emblem for the Proof Commission, Probaya Komissiya, just haven't seen it before.
Yeap, Imperial Eagle from Russia "Probaya Komissiya" -- Proof Commission marking, if you scroll down a little bit on the link below it shows a picture of one.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/mis ... index.html
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

My 4 Sako's, hhmmm, something's not right.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
capt14k

M39 Review...........Post Your m39's We have some new one's on the forums!!!

Post by capt14k »

I will continue the group shot maybe we can start a trend.

Top to bottom

1943 Sky
1942 SAKO
1941 VKT
1943 Sky

Top 3 check off all the boxes for me. Original Finish on metal and stock. 90%+ bluing remains. Matching barrel, receiver, bolt, and magazine floor plate. The receiver is stamped matching, not dot matrix. The Sky has correct 43 Civil Guard Stock Cartouche. All have excellent bores.

Bottom one checks all the same boxes except it has dot matrix serial on receiver and little finish left on the metal. However it has something the others don't, a flame handguard.

J0h1F

Post by J0h1F »

Very nice rifles indeed, I've begun to think that FDF made the right decision to export most of the Mosins to the US, as Finns generally respect the original quality rifles a lot less, there's a whole lot of modified (=destroyed) Finnish Mosins in Finland. In the US, proportionally a lot more seem to be kept in the original condition.
capt14k wrote:1941 SAKO matching bolt, barrel, receiver with non-matching magazine. This one came from Burns directly before they sold to Classic. In correct SAKO war time stock.

About the magazine mismatch, it isn't a real mismatch as the magazines weren't usually marked by Finns (I can't say never as I'm not completely sure, but AFAIK none were), so the markings are matched to the rifle the magazines were take-offs from (and some were grinded out completely, there's a lot of unmarked magazines on Finnish Mosins). So that's a rifle with perfectly matching numbers as in the Finnish configuration.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

J0h1F wrote:Very nice rifles indeed, I've begun to think that FDF made the right decision to export most of the Mosins to the US, as Finns generally respect the original quality rifles a lot less, there's a whole lot of modified (=destroyed) Finnish Mosins in Finland. In the US, proportionally a lot more seem to be kept in the original condition.

About the magazine mismatch, it isn't a real mismatch as the magazines weren't usually marked by Finns (I can't say never as I'm not completely sure, but AFAIK none were), so the markings are matched to the rifle the magazines were take-offs from (and some were grinded out completely, there's a lot of unmarked magazines on Finnish Mosins). So that's a rifle with perfectly matching numbers as in the Finnish configuration.
Actually on the M/39 the magazines were matched, but the butt plates were not. On the M/28-30 the magazines weren't matched, but the butt plates were.

Many Finnish Rifles are sporterized in Finland because that is what they had and they used them for hunting rifles. Here it was Mausers, Enfields, and Springfields. Most M/39 didn't come here til Burns imported them in 1982. By that time people were seeing the collectible value. That is why most M/39 are in original condition. As for earlier Finns they weren't sporterized here because 7.62x54R wasn't a popular hunting cartridge in the 1960s.

Today Finns do not destroy the rifles just as much as we don't. The collectible value is seen in both countries.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That and Ol' man Burns got busted and lost the FFL causing his stock of milsurps to sit in limbo for some years before his wife and kid got permission to sell them off.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt