Finnish M 31

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Pitbill

Finnish M 31

Post by Pitbill »

Input sought. I stopped by my favorite gun store and found a Finnish M31, it is missing the cleaning rod and needs a new Magazine Spring I think. I could not see down the barrel for the crud. The barrel has about 90 % bluing, the reciever is hex. Looks like a Romanov eagle on it.

The Gunsmith there offered to clean it the bore for so I can get a good look. They're going to hold it for me until Tuesday. I could not find an import stamp. Markings are as follows: SA/B/D/ Serial number 41550 w/a Gershon type sight. They want $175.00. I am leaning towards buying it. I'd like to hear your thoughts. One more thing - the wood is in good condition typical Fin with splices and rivets.

Thanks
BubbaDX

Re: Finnish M 31

Post by BubbaDX »

Is it an M91 or M91/30 maybe? Or may be an M39? I think the M31 is a 9mm semi auto. Either way, for $175 I would buy it.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Not sure about the m31 model, that doesnt seem correct. And not sure about your rear sight description either. But if its not been messed with and is in good shape nearly any finn is a safe bet at that price.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Not sure here either. I know how difficult it is to remember details after you look at something then leave the store. I have been saying for years my brother's m44 carbine was Polish with a circled 11 on it. I looked at it the other day and it is a 1947 Izhevsk. It is a m44 at least I remembered that much.
As mentioned already, if it looks like it is in good shape and especially if it has not been all modified, cut on, or sanded then whatever it is is gonna be good at 175.00! If you want to be more sure maybe he will let you take a couple of pictures if you drop back by and reassure him you are serious about Tuesday.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

BubbaDX wrote:Is it an M91 or M91/30 maybe? Or may be an M39? I think the M31 is a 9mm semi auto. Either way, for $175 I would buy it.
+1 Buy it if it doesn't look chopped in any way. Study the forum to get a baseline of what the various Mosin models should look like. Remember, if nothing else, that M91 handguards are worth about $100 by themselves.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
entropy

Post by entropy »

The Finnish M31 (correct nomenclature KP31) in the Suomi submachine gun. It does not have a hex reciever. I find it odd you knew the name of the sight, but not which Model it is. I agree with the other guys, either way, for $175 it's probably worth it. :wink:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Pitbill

Post by Pitbill »

Sorry gents old tired eyes and fat fingers. M91. curved rear sight bladed front sight. These were made between 1926-27 and 1940 to 43.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

entropy wrote:The Finnish M31 (correct nomenclature KP31) in the Suomi submachine gun. It does not have a hex reciever. I find it odd you knew the name of the sight, but not which Model it is. I agree with the other guys, either way, for $175 it's probably worth it. :wink:
Yea, the Suomi KP/31 is one of the few Finnish with a round receiver. :chuckles:

I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Not sure about yours Greasemonkey but my KP is just BEGGING to be SBR'd! That's a gorgeous stock you've got there too btw!
entropy

Post by entropy »

Pitbill wrote:Sorry gents old tired eyes and fat fingers. M91. curved rear sight bladed front sight. These were made between 1926-27 and 1940 to 43.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
It happens. Well, as mentioned, it's probably a good deal at that price. 8-)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien