A rare Yugoslavian M59 SKS, a long barrel

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Greasemonkey

A rare Yugoslavian M59 SKS, a long barrel

Post by Greasemonkey »

Well, after a long break due to other irons in the fire and I finally got a job transfer back to my home area, I'm back :big shock: :chuckles:

A recent purchase I picked up, known as a long barrel Yugoslavian M59. These are believed to be prototypes from when Yugoslavia first started production and have slight differences from any other SKS. Made prior to the normal M59, one true give away is a serial less than 100. This particular one is #061. Another difference is it has a 22 inch barrel, not the standard 20 inch, and there have been a few found with a 21.5 inch barrel. And by far the biggest difference is the front sight, it is adjustable for windage with a screw driver. There are about 22 of these known currently in existence, and it is highly suspected only 100 were ever made. There have been 2 found that are later production, in the "C" series block of serials, but as I understand, they lack the adjustable front sight.

This particular rifle went through a refub at some point, and it is still coated in storage grease. The bolt, stock and trigger guard match. The gas tube, piston, rear sight, top cover and bolt carrier are unnumbered. The barrel is so full of grease, it's condition remains unknown. The box mag is marked #116, and it has the cleaning kit in the butt plate.

This is a close up of the adjustable front sight, this is the only SKS you will find this on.

Here is a family shot, the long barrel M59 with a conventional "B" and "C" series M59 and a M59/66
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
WeldonHunter

Re: A rare Yugoslavian M59 SKS, a long barrel

Post by WeldonHunter »

Sweet Carl, good to see you back again. I've been busy too and haven't been around as much as before. Lots of other things going on around here. I picked up a few M59s since we last talked too. One's an M59 and the other is one of the Slovakian ceremonial M59/66a1 When I get time I'm going to post them both. Still need to clean the Slovack but it's basically a new rifle. I really like that long barrel you have there though. That's a rare one, and very cool. Adjustable windage front sight, man that's something you just don't see.
COOLDUDEGAMER

Post by COOLDUDEGAMER »

Hmmm...
That M59 you got there looks very close to my Type 56, though mine does looks a lot closer to the 2nd from the right.
I wonder how rare the long barreled one you got is. :)
Why am I always tired?!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

COOLDUDEGAMER wrote:Hmmm...
That M59 you got there looks very close to my Type 56, though mine does looks a lot closer to the 2nd from the right.
It's very rare Craig. They'll all look close because they're all made basically to the same specs. They Chinese used different wood for the stock because of the regional aspect. It's Chu wood if memory serves me correctly.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

WeldonHunter wrote:
COOLDUDEGAMER wrote:Hmmm...
It's very rare Craig. They'll all look close because they're all made basically to the same specs. They Chinese used different wood for the stock because of the regional aspect. It's Chu wood if memory serves me correctly.

Ahhhhh, Chu! :bwink:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Devo86

Post by Devo86 »

very nice find. I see people looking for these all the time. How do you like that albanian import noirnco sks?
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

How does one get so lucky?
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

You have had a nice run. I learned something new today. Never new such a rifle existed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Very cool Greasemonkey. :Drool1: 8-) Never had any idea that such a rifle existed. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Bareassmeagain

Post by Bareassmeagain »

I didn't think anyone in Virginia was allowed to own a m59 long barrel. You better send that one to me to care for