1957, Judi is looking back.....

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Judi and her Mosins

1957, Judi is looking back.....

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
.Hello everyone, I am finishing up my Dads estate. In the process of going thru his many items pop bottle caps, 139 Am radios from the 1960's portable ones, road maps, telephone books from the 1950's.

I have discovered another room with novels and gun magazines .....anyhow, I started to read one. Please enjoy this with me. :brows:

Very interesting, (also keeping this in the Mosin section) are some sales of Mosins. also interesting is that many guns were sold .."by the pound"....those nice imports your looking at. :Drool1:

So sit back and time travel :beek: with Judi to 1957, enjoy the articles, and cry at the prices. :bonk:

:ani-pop:

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/1957issues/G0757.pdf

Thanks,......... ;mywink; .Judi and her Mosin's

Add on... :whistle: . for the first person to ID ...the KOMMISSAR KILLER - $1 2.95... on pg. 49 ... :brolleyes: ....... :big shock:
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1957, Judi is looking back.....

Post by millman »

It is a Nagant.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Judi and her Mosins

Correct Eric..........

Next.......Anyone catch the Ad on page 66 ..................?.... :pointleft:
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I enjoyed that.

I was getting ready to start school when that was printed. I doubt that my father was making $1.00 per hour, as a journeyman plumber, to support a wife and four kids, my mother stayed home to take care of us rug-rats and the house. The prices in the magazine reflected a significant part of a 1957 income.

I liked the Numrich add offering to buy parts guns for $1.00- $5.00.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
pongo

Post by pongo »

Very neat. Thanks!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Buried in my collection someplace are two original Bannerman catalogs, the 1899 upgraded for 1902, this one has USS Maine items for sale, and the 1940 updated for 1943. Reading them makes me desperately wanting time machine. All of the stuff you mentioned would sell on ebay, some of it for considerable money. There are radio collectors out there, probably pop bottle collectors, and I know antique gun magazines would be sought after by gun collectors.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Well, that was fun!!
entropy

Post by entropy »

Too bad Faisal II was only the Shah of Iraq for about another year before he was deposed in a military-led coup; a young Saddam Hussein then tried to assassinate (unsuccessfully) the leader who assumed power after the coup.

I get a kick out of the ad with the Nagant revolvers and Cz 38 calibers switched. (p. 49)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Judi and her Mosins

Well,....Did the Ad on page 66 with the red boarder second to last page.....Did anyone catch the Mosin ad....?... :bwink:

;mywink;
Dr. Seuss quote
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Saw them as "Hunter Confiscated" at 14.95
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Judi and her Mosins

Correct George !...... "Hunter Confiscated" at 14.95 Mosin's...Now wonder if those Russian farmers might have bubbaskied some of them. :tongue:

Anyone catch the WW2 German Army Surplus value savings.... :bonk:

The Python for $25.95. ..... :crazy.gif:

Also they have M-38 for the low price of $12.95 on page 63 ....Rare imports.... :pointleft:
Dr. Seuss quote
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Neat! Thank you for sharing. :thumbsup:

I'm as impressed by your effort to scan and post it as I am by "the thing itself."
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I graduated 8th grade in '57. In Dec. of 1958 my mom and dad bought me my Winchester 30-30 for Christmas.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
jaytex1969

Post by jaytex1969 »

My mother was 7 and I was -12.

Still very cool to see. Thanks Judi!
BOHICA
Judi and her Mosins

:soapbox:
. No I did not scan the magazine, Just took some time to find a link to it. :thumbsup: . Thought I might have a few of you read with me, Thanks. I found the prices by the pound on imported guns the bigger surprise.

Been side tracked reading a issue of "Mad" magazine from 1965... :crazy.gif:

I wonder, since these coupons do not have expiration dates on them. If they would still honor them. I guess I might have to post some pictures of things to figure out what I have here. Stay tuned.

Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
Dr. Seuss quote
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

My God I remember most of that stuff and what scares me worst is I wasn't a kid then either! :oops: I do indeed remember buying a pallet of US weapons by the pound too. I broke the pallet down and drove home with the rifles in my new to me 1947 Ford Coupe. You could have a party in that trunk and have room to dance too. :lol: Bill
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

I can remember when the Brig on the highway between Pearl and Honolulu sold off their surplus pumps and revolvers back in '58.

I was too young and dad wasn't interested. Everything went for under $25.00 a piece. :o
tractor357

Post by tractor357 »

Eight years before I was born, cool stuff. That was really cool to read through. I will need to go back and read it again a few more times.If I had a time machine I would not use a De Lorean like Back To The Future, it would need to be a eighteen wheeler. I also have a couple old Bannerman catalogs that I like to page through and dream a bit now and again. Thanks Judi