Bolt cleaning today

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ranman106

Bolt cleaning today

Post by ranman106 »

Finally got the time to clean the cosmo from my 91/30 Izhevsk bolt. Didn't have the chance to do the barrel or stock. I live in NC and we had a few rain showers today. LOL!
Used the boiling water method and added Dawn dish liquid. That stuff really cuts the grease! First time ever doing that and I highly recommend it!
7.62X54R, when you have to reach out and touch someone.
steelbuttplate

Re: Bolt cleaning today

Post by steelbuttplate »

Don't ignore the chamber where the bolt locks in. If you shoot it without getting All the cosmo out of here you will have zee sticky bolt. If your rifles's dissembled stick the receiver down in boiling water and that'll do it, but there are other methods to brush/mop it out....Sticky Bolt No Damn Goode..... :2cents: ....SBP....almost as many Mosins as JYD :whistle:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
ranman106

Post by ranman106 »

Not going to shoot it yet. Once the weather clears, I'm disassembling the rifle and cleaning it the same way. Bolt already cycles better than it did!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It is amazing how much crud can hide inside the bolt and all its parts. A lot of people neglect to remove the extractor from the bolt and if you do be careful not to bend it, but there will be more crud under there in the little slotted area.
ranman106

Post by ranman106 »

bunkysdad wrote:It is amazing how much crud can hide inside the bolt and all its parts. A lot of people neglect to remove the extractor from the bolt and if you do be careful not to bend it, but there will be more crud under there in the little slotted area.
Got it!

Now to pick up a 40" long piece of 6" pvc pipe with end so I can take care of the barrel, chamber, and trigger.