Yugo Ceremonial SKS from AIM

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
TheMaineEvent

Yugo Ceremonial SKS from AIM

Post by TheMaineEvent »

This is my first, and likely last SKS, but I figured that if I was going to get one I should get a nice one. They're just not a rifle I'm interested in and are too short for me to get into collecting and shooting them.
AIM got in a batch of Yugo ceremonial rifles that looked to be mint so I thought this would be a good buy. I'd get a nice rifle that I can tuck away and hold onto for a long time. Yes, they're expensive, but I don't mind paying for a nice rifle. It's not going to be a shooter so it was worth paying more to get something nice.
Boy, was I not disappointed. This is a MINT rifle in every aspect. It still has a layer of cosmoline on it, which I'll likely leave since I'm not going to shoot it. The stock, finish, and bore are all 100%. I couldn't be more happy with this one. Also included were a new sling and cleaning kit.
Not the best of pictures, but I wanted to snap a couple quick ones to post up.
catcracker

Re: Yugo Ceremonial SKS from AIM

Post by catcracker »

Very nice. Does it have a year of production on it? I recently purchased an SKS that was made in 1982.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is an interesting rifle. It may, over time, be a very wise investment. I would tell you for sure, but my crystal ball is fogged up today. :oops:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

catcracker wrote:Very nice. Does it have a year of production on it? I recently purchased an SKS that was made in 1982.
No date of manufacture that I can see.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Looks like s/n starting with 703 or 708 will be 1986 or 1987. http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-24.htm (Yooper John's site)
Nice looking SKS congrats. :vcool: :vcool:
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

It's a 709 serial number, but thanks for the link. I know next to nothing about these so every bit helps.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Watch out. SKS's are addicting. They are the last semi-auto battle carbines, Before you know you are getting a Chinese as a shooter, run across a really good deal on a Russian and you have SKSitis.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

I need to collect another rifle lineage like I need a hole in the head, lol. I bet they're a fun rifle to collect and shoot though.
SKhiSm 59-66

Post by SKhiSm 59-66 »

TheMaineEvent wrote:It's a 709 serial number, but thanks for the link. I know next to nothing about these so every bit helps.
Here's a link to the raw data Withergyld generated the table from, I like it better than the table, there's some other goodies there. :thumbsup:

http://web.archive.org/web/200711051941 ... %20End.htm
"And at this range, I'm a real Frederick Zoller"
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

Much appreciated.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

I bought one of these too. Couldn't pass it up. I almost got two but decided to not go overboard like I usually do. I also got one of the M59s that Dan is selling so I now have 4 SKSs, One Russian and three Yugos, This one, a regular M59/66a1, an M59 and the Russian. I also picked up two stripped AR receivers. Been wanting to build my own AR for a long time and since My FFL only charges me $20 to do transfers whether it's one firearm or four I threw the receivers in there too. I figured these were near mint from the pictures and simply because of what they are. Thanks for the advanced pictures. Mine are still at the FFL waiting for my NICS check, which is not so instant, to complete.
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

I think you're going to be very happy with this sks! Sounds like you're building up the collection rather nicely. I have a C&R license which is nice to have but it allows you to spend money freely when you can get older rifles shipped right to your home.
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Gorgeous rifles. Wish I had the $$ for one.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

TheMaineEvent wrote:I think you're going to be very happy with this sks! Sounds like you're building up the collection rather nicely. I have a C&R license which is nice to have but it allows you to spend money freely when you can get older rifles shipped right to your home.
I thought hard about getting a C&R but these are the first C&R rifles I've bought in a few years. I went through a period a few years ago where I was buying quite a few but never got around to getting the C&R. I probably won't be needing it much right now. My buying has slowed considerably. I'm running out of room here, lol.
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

I hear you there. I've bought more than a few rifles simply due to the price and fact they could be shipped to me. I need to cull a few of the impulse buys to make room for rifles that I want to complete my collection.
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

That sure is purdy.
Bareassmeagain

Post by Bareassmeagain »

Yes those are very beautiful rifles. Now were starting to see more and more and it sounds like the verdict of condition is in. Haven't seen no negatives yet.

Did these come with the booklet like the recent non ceremonial 59/66 have ?
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Bareassmeagain wrote:Yes those are very beautiful rifles. Now were starting to see more and more and it sounds like the verdict of condition is in. Haven't seen no negatives yet.

Did these come with the booklet like the recent non ceremonial 59/66 have ?
Yes Kerry, they do and it's a bound booklet. The one I got is in perfect condition and looks like a new rifle.
Bareassmeagain

Post by Bareassmeagain »

Thanks Mike,, Im jealous ! You guys did really good and money well spent. 8-)