Overcharged Mosin Rounds

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Mosin-Marauder

Overcharged Mosin Rounds

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

Did something stupid, meant to load 51.2 Grains of H4350, instead loaded 51.2 Grains of 4064, idiotic, wont happen again, I didn't realize they were overcharged until after I fired them. They extracted with a bit of stickiness, and primers were cratered something fierce. No ring in the barrel that I can see, I dont think theres a ring in the chamber either. Going to see about getting the headspace checked today. If Head space checks out will my 91/30 be safe to fire again?

Forgot to mention this was with a 180 grain bullet, the charge was 4-5 grains over max.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Overcharged Mosin Rounds

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The rifle didn't blow apart....this time....if it passes headspace, and it probably will, there is no reason it should be suddenly unsafe. If it was going to blow apart it would have done so with the magnum charged rounds. There is no room for errors in reloading, if you can't keep things straight then rethink your entire reloading setup, why was the wrong powder out were you could mistake it for another in the first place? The cans are clearly labeled and had you been triple checking each step of the procedure you would have caught it before it made it's way into the rifle. Were you on a public range? If so then think of the people you put at risk who were shooting next to you. If you get hurt or killed then it's bad enough for your family, if you survive and hurt or kill someone else then it's world ending. Never have more than one powder out when reloading, always triple check every step of what you are doing and that includes checking to be sure the components you are using are exactly what is called for. Never store powder in any container except the one the manufacturer provides so there is never any confusion about exactly what kind of powder it is.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I load with one powder on the bench and a note with the "recipe" jotted down on it and double-checked with my list in the manuals...and probably recheck it three times to make sure!
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

HELLOOOOOO, Is anybody in there???? Since you were using IMR and HODGDON products.(different colors and labels)..... Then I suppose (hope) you were using their data. If so, then, you were approx. 8.5- 9 grans over charged, not 4-5 grs..... For the 180gr. bullet. Some one needs to pay a little more attention.. I'm not trying to kick the dead horse, but man... you need to pay attention.. your life depends on it.
You received a second chance that day, my friend. (It could have been worse) I sure hope this was a lesson for you. A LESSON is something you LEARN FROM.... PLAY SAFE.
I hope this is a reminder/lesson for everyone that reloads. remember the basics.... Safety first...
I know it made me think about the steps... Play safe and I'm glad to see your OK..
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

All of these things mentioned above I imagine you have already told yourself, I'm just glad you are ok. These are the lessons that tend to stick with you. A good idea I recently got from another reloader was to mount a dry-erase board by the bench in plain sight. Then you can write your recipe in plain sight where it is on your mind. Next in importance, when choosing bullets is to be careful not to grab a heavier bullet than you intended, especially if you are close to maximum powder loads. Heavier bullets increase chamber pressure. Best of luck
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

It's a good thing you were shooting these rounds in a Mosin and not a less robust platform. Our favorite old war horse is built to take abuse. Just don't make a habit of it! LOL
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
entropy

Post by entropy »

Yup, that was a hot load! Shouldn't have damaged the rifle, but it probably did something to your shorts! :D

If you want a good 180 gr. IMR 4064 load, try a 180 gr. Ballistic Silvertip on top of 41.6 gr. of IMR 4064. A member of the old forum, Ron7.62, gave this load to me for a deer/bear load, and it has been a good 100 yd. hunting load. Ballistic Tips are fine for zeroing and target loads with this load, too.

boltaction has a very good point: IMR and H are not the same powders in the same numbers. I always use IMR, and their data.

I follow mogunner's regimen also. One powder, one type of bullet, cases already primed, (I do it away from the bench with a Lee Auto Prime) data written down on the pad on the table, triple check everything.

:oops: Actually, when I went down to check that recipie, I noticed I had .223 55 gr. Nosler Varmint bullets on the table, as well as the Hornady 230 gr. .451's for the .45 ACPs I'm working on. But I don't think I'd get those 55gr. to seat well in the .45 cases. :wink:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien