Info needed on Mosin rifle

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
scott

Info needed on Mosin rifle

Post by scott »

Hello all,
my father bought a rifle at a yard sale and the guy he bought it from didn't know much about it, so I am trying to help him find what he has purchased.
I have attached several pictures of it. Really confusing part is the 300 savage stamp on the rifle. One of the photos has the New England Westinghouse Company stamp.

Any help or information is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Brett Scott
brett_scott_98@yahoo.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
racerguy00

Re: Info needed on Mosin rifle

Post by racerguy00 »

Its a former Westinghouse M91 that someone shortened and rechambered among other things. A fairly typical sporterization, just a bit more involved than most.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Its sole value is its worth as a shooter. Before the customization it was a very collectible rifle.

It was an American made Russian rifle brokered by the British. The Americans got stuck with it when the new Soviet Communist government reneged on a contract.

Do a search for M-91 on this forum and you will see what the original looked like.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
scott

Post by scott »

thanks guys for the info, really appreciate it
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

:facepalm2:
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

Curious - did Bannerman convert any of these M91's to .300 Savage? It's obviously seen more recent modifications, but could the original rechambering be a work of Bannerman?
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Somebody has made a sporting rifle from a very expensive New England Westinghouse made Mosin Nagant. It has had the barrel shortened and a sport front sight done. It has no collectible value any longer. I also looks to have been rechambered to 300 Savage. This needs to go to a gunsmith for a big safety check before even thinking about firing.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

To my knowledge Bannerman never rechambered anything to 300 Savage. That is a very strong cartridge and frankly I wonder about the safety of it. If they recommend lower loads for the 30:06 rechambered M91's I wonder what that 300 Savage would need to be safe to fire? Just a personal thought but I would not want to fire that or own it to be altogether honest. Main reason being I think as with all rifles I would want to see it work. Bill :o
entropy

Post by entropy »

cj1964 wrote:Curious - did Bannerman convert any of these M91's to .300 Savage? It's obviously seen more recent modifications, but could the original rechambering be a work of Bannerman?
Pretty sure they didn't do that one. Bannerman's usually blued the bolts on caliber conversions, and .30-40 and .30-06 were the most common. I wasn't aware .300 Savage was possible without a rebarrel.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Longcolt44 wrote:Somebody has made a sporting rifle from a very expensive New England Westinghouse made Mosin Nagant. It has had the barrel shortened and a sport front sight done. It has no collectible value any longer. I also looks to have been rechambered to 300 Savage. This needs to go to a gunsmith for a big safety check before even thinking about firing.

Yup... All the collectability is gone. :facepalm2:
300 Savage was more popular in the 50's & 60's... Could have been done back then with a second update recently with the ATI stock. Why would anyone convert to an obscure caliber today when 7.62x54r is way more economical to shoot.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Oh, the humanity of it ............the humanity. What a shame
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I fire my 30-06 Bannerman with standard 30-06 loads with no issues. I know a few people who do also, but like Zeebill says....300 Savage....Not a chance would I fire it...not without a string tied to the trigger and it laying in a old tire, and you can't "hunt" like that very well :roll: I suppose you could fire 300 Savage through it if you "toned down" the load a bunch, but what's the point?? Maybe availability of ammo? Maybe back in the 50's and 60's, but you can get all the 7.62 x 54r ammo you want now.

Interesting rifle, but it should have been posted in the "sportsters" section, not the "collectibles".

Dolk