Woohoo....got my moose draw

Sonny

Woohoo....got my moose draw

Post by Sonny »

Well I wish I could tell you guys that I was drawn for a bull tag but nope. I didn't have enough priority points for that but I was drawn for a cow tag.
Hey what the heck a steak from a cow taste's just as good if not better than a steak from a bull. :thumbsup:

Season starts third week in September and I have 18 vacation days booked off,go me.. :D
One day of hunting and 17 days of drinking beer..lol

Would love to shoot a moose with a Mosin but I'm gonna take my Christmas present out.A Marlin 1895 in .45-70 using Hornady 325 gr. LeveRulution (spelling) ammo.

I'm stoked.. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Woohoo....got my moose draw

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have seen those animals close up, if I was going to attack one I would use the 45/70 also :shock: Good luck with the hunt, good eating :Drool1:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

Moose is better than beef, I think. Course, I live in WI, so the first time I had a steak from SWMBO's folks' freezer, I just grabbed one that said 'T-Bone'. Tasted horrible! I actually put catsup on it, even after giving SWMBO crap for that once. Turns out it was an old Holstien cow they culled and kept the meat cause they didn't have any steers ready yet. (Her Dad uisually had one or two Jersey steers fattening up for the freezer.) We got 880# off my Dad's bull in 1991 (Got it on his 50th BD), my 220# went fast!

Good luck, Sonny! 8-) :thumbsup:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I'm thinking a Mosin may not be big enough. lol Congrats and good luck!! And just in case nobody had ever told you, if you see a moose crossing the road, do NOT honk your horn!! :shock: :chuckles:
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

jimpierce7 wrote:I'm thinking a Mosin may not be big enough. lol Congrats and good luck!! And just in case nobody had ever told you, if you see a moose crossing the road, do NOT honk your horn!! :shock: :chuckles:
A well placed shot with a good softpoint 7.62 x 54r will put a moose down.

But then there is no such thing as being over gunned when it comes to moose...lol.. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhRUHWPWbbo
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

an acquaintance of mine in Wyoming had a car that was stomped to hell and back. He honked at a moose. lol He said it looked a lot bigger stomping his car than it did in the middle of the road.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

A moose is just a big deer..

A very very big deer..lol
entropy

Post by entropy »

jimpierce7 wrote:I'm thinking a Mosin may not be big enough.
Scads of them are killed every year with 7.62x54R in FInland. The .303 has killed many, many moose over the years in Canada, eh? :wink: Very similar ballistically. I had my .30-06 Rem. 742 carbine with as 'the backup gun' for our group of four (Me, Dad, my uncle, and my stepmom) on our hunt. Had 200 gr. Nosler Patitions loaded with a mid powered charge of 4064 worked up for it. I think if Kathy had had my '06 instead of her 7mm-08, she'd have got the moose she missed on the first day of the hunt. I had it point blank sighted; she'd have been 1.5" high at the 225 yds. her shot was at, instead of the (at least) 5.5" low she was. She was sighted in at 100 yds. and aiming where she would on a deer, and must have just went under the chest and behind the leg.

My Dad ended up getting our moose; a nice bull, taken with a Sako .300 Win. Mag., at 55 yds. Well, that's how far the moose was at the first shot. He ended up putting five into him, though in hindsight, we figured he was dead from the first one, just took a little time for him to realize it. All were in the lungs, with one hitting the heart. (the third shot from about 20 yards.) He had to unload his gun to cross the road the moose crossed, and reload, for the last shot. (MN State law- cannot fire from within 50 ft. of center of a road.) The moose hunt in MN is so tightly controlled that a warden, (and there were many about) was there within 5 minutes of the first shot. We'd just pulled it back up to the road (with my truck) when he pulled up on an ATV.

I was happy for my Dad, getting his moose on his 50th BD, but he robbed me of my shot on the cow we'd spotted the bull with originally. She stood and looked at us (cross-eyed, I swear!) as I got out of the back of the truck and duck-walked/ran the 220 yards to where I stopped ( they were 1/4 mile fields, I went half in) and got ready to shoot. Just as my scope had stopped heaving up and down and I'd settled into a good sight picture on her heart, I heard, BOOM, then WHACK from the bullet hitting the bull, and my Dad working the bolt on the Sako. I just got up and started walking across the field towards my Dad. The cow never even moved.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

On one of the reality shows about living in the North Pole area there is a woman that shoots everything that walks with an M39. She broke the stock on one but the next week she had another. So do we have another sister collector in Santa Land ?
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
entropy

Post by entropy »

There have been threads about her here before. The show is "Life Below Zero", Discovery Channel, IIRC. She's not a collector; to her, it's a working piece. She probably chose the Mosin because she is Inuit, and probably has some Russian in her background. (There ae lots of Russian decendants of original settlers in AK, and many are part Inuit also.) Of course, she chose an M39 Mosin because they are renowned for their accuracy. :wink:

Murphy was an optimist.

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Her husband is not allowed a firearm for some reason. I read he is getting the problem fixed, he does spot for her.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Rain,wet snow,strong cold winds and no moose.
Worst hunting trip ever.
But there is always next year..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh no, not snoooooooooooooow :big shock: I do not need a reminder that last years winter from hell is likely to be repeated this year, and it starts in a month or less.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt