1941 Izhevsk M38 with Egyptian Markings

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
neal45

1941 Izhevsk M38 with Egyptian Markings

Post by neal45 »

I’m always on the lookout for something unique and I found it this week. Besides Russian History and Military Weapons, I am interested in Egypt in many ways and have visited there twice. While I don’t want to expand into later Egyptian weapons, the Mosin is different.

These marked Mosins are not very common. I had a friend translate the information on them from Karl-Heinz Wrobel’s book, Volume 2 and I hope KH doesn’t mind me posting it. So here the relevant info from his Egyptian Marked Mosin page:

After Egypt got closer to the Soviet Union during the cold war, a large amount of M. 1891/30 rifles, among them many from Hungary, and many M. 1944 from various (manufacturing) countries made their way to Egypt. They were used without alteration, although Arabic numbers were written on the right side of the butt with white or yellowish lacquer. The - in a very British way - “Railway Works Department” (RWD) named factory manufactures replacement barrels. Large quantities of ammunition of the 7.62x54R calibre were manufactured in Egypt. The arms were sold in the 80s after Egypt got closer to the United States.

It looks like Egyptian Marked M38s are not that common but here is mine. The rack number is 148 (or 841) but I'm not sure about the other charcters. I have included some Egyptian cartridges that I have had for some time. It is the nastiest Mosin ammo I have ever used.

The carbine bolt is a mixture of parts and the buttplate (not shown) does not match. It appears to be an early Century import. It failed the field headspace test but that is irrelevant to me since I have enough Mosin shooters to keep me busy.

The handguard shows a nasty dent and crack but the apparent crack in the buttstock is just in the shellac.

The stock is the M44 type with a bayonet groove, sling slots are late war/post war, and there are no refurb marks.

Last edited by neal45 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee-online

Re: 1941 Izhevsk M38 with Egyptian Markings

Post by Lee-online »

That is a unique looking rifle with those marking. Very interesting for sure.

Were these imported from Egypt directly or via another Russian country?
Kollaa kestää
neal45

Post by neal45 »

I have not been able to find anything more on these puzzling Mosins.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I like it! I sold an m44 with similar but far less extensive markings a while back. Definitely a story there that we can hopefully figure out.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Not only has that been there and done that, it got a free t-shirt, excellent.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Looks like this one was used hard. Very interesting piece. Nice Neal :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'd love to visit Egypt and the entire ancient Mesopotamian area. But, alas, I don't think that's in the cards during this lifetime... Maybe Egypt while they have a hard nose president.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Now that is an interesting M44, I shot thousands of rounds worth of the Egyptian 8mm years back, it was no different that any other 8mm except for the occasional dud. I wonder what they did differently with the 7.62x54r. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

Zeebill has a rifle very similar to that, with the Arab writing. His is in very nice shape as well.

RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Pretty cool stuff.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Russian, Albanian, Hungarian, Chinese, and now Egyptian? Wow I got to get one of those!!! :thumbsup:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
neal45

Post by neal45 »

I just check and noticed that we don't have an Egyptian in the Other Countries M44s. What about putting this Mosin in that showcase?
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I think that's a great idea Neal. Mosins marked like this don't turn up often, and very few of those are m38s. It's a great carbine.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Istaqa

Post by Istaqa »

Very cool. I spotted a similar rifle at a gun show in Council Bluffs Iowa yesterday. I just bought a carbine last weekend or it would have come home with me. The stock markings where very similar. The cocking knob was modified like this:
1206151229.jpg
This is one of my own cocking knobs, but it was modified in the same way on the Egyptian stock marked rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Thanks for posting that one. You have improved my knowledge and damaged my psyche. (now I have another variation to lust over) Perhaps, I can make up for it by increasing your knowledge on Egyptian ammo.

There is a reason why the Egyptian ammo is so nasty to shoot. Where we extract most of our nitrates, for making gunpowder, from pine stumps, the Egyptians use camel dung. The stuff you scrape out of your barrel after shooting this ammo, does miraculous work when spread on roses or turnip greens. As a matter of fact, I just spread some myself.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ground ape

Post by ground ape »

Istaqa wrote:Very cool. I spotted a similar rifle at a gun show in Council Bluffs Iowa yesterday. I just bought a carbine last weekend or it would have come home with me. The stock markings where very similar. The cocking knob was modified like this:
1206151229.jpg
This is one of my own cocking knobs, but it was modified in the same way on the Egyptian stock marked rifle.
I'm sorry this newbie does not understand this od, can someone explain? Thanks all.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I am not sure what is meant by a modified cocking knob based on that photo. Looks normal to me.
ground ape

Post by ground ape »

Is it a way to make the safety more user friendly? I learned the other day that the Finns put finger rings on some of their cocking knobs.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I read Egyptian, on the stock it says, my camel likes to have his ball rubbed :shifty: :bs.gif: :biggrin: Ya don't see them much in pawn shops :thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

ground ape wrote:Is it a way to make the safety more user friendly? I learned the other day that the Finns put finger rings on some of their cocking knobs.

I've never seen a legit Finn cocking knob ring. All I've seen were added here. I think the cocking knob pictured is just a normal variation. I seen nothing unusual with it
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

neal45 wrote:I just check and noticed that we don't have an Egyptian in the Other Countries M44s. What about putting this Mosin in that showcase?
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: