New 91/59

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
JoeZ

New 91/59

Post by JoeZ »

Just picked this up last week. I was after what I thought was a 1945 M38, but the closer I looked, appeared to be a 1943, so I passed on it. The seller had this one as well that he was letting go for the same price. I left it there without giving it much thought and went home. I wasn't really in the market for a 91/59, but quickly learned that I should have been. I went back and forth with a few PM's to another member on the forum, and decided to make the jump. It sounded like a pretty good deal. Drove back out the next day and bought it. I am very happy with it, but as discussed in another post, I am going to wait to put a different handguard on before I shoot it as I found a small crack in this one. I thought it was really clean upon purchase, but spent about an hour and a half with it, a 30 cal bore brush, some Hoppes No. 9, and a lot of patches, and it really cleaned up nice.

It does have some small pitting, but overall, I think it is pretty good.

I have an Izhevsk M44 in fantastic condition, but the rifling appears stronger in this one. Sorry, I don't have any pics of the bore, I can't seem to figure out how to get one in focus yet, but I will.

So what started out about 2 months ago as a quest for an inexpensive 91/39, has currently turned into owning 2 carbines. Almost grabbed another M44 that a local pawn shop had here for 169, but didn't see the ad in time. Still looking for a 91/30, but I am starting to get snobbish about it and am holding out for something special. Wasn't planning on collecting anything, but now here I am.

Thanks.
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: New 91/59

Post by Darryl »

very nice M91/59.. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :thumbsup: ....D
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Nice carbine.

Did you notice how much smoother and crisper the trigger is compared to the Russian refurbs.
Kollaa kestää
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Sweet! :thumbsup:
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

"Wasn't planning on collecting anything, but now here I am." Yeah Brother, Welcome to Mosins Anonymous. Nice carbine!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You might try gluing up the handguard on it. Finding a handguard for a 91/59 is like finding chicken lips. An M38 or M44 will not fit.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The 91/59 is just such a awesome carbine to have. Not easy to find at all. They are unique with the longer rear sight and tend to be excellent shooters. Congratulations.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Longcolt44 wrote:You might try gluing up the handguard on it. Finding a handguard for a 91/59 is like finding chicken lips. An M38 or M44 will not fit.
Yup... A little glue and all is well.

Fantastic Find! :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
scribs87

Post by scribs87 »

beautiful gun. If you end up waiting to trade for a m28 or m28-30 let me know via pm.
one finger john

Post by one finger john »

Nice find/purchase. Would it be possible to have a picture of the bore?

John
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

:cry: :cry: These are so Purdy, they bring tears to my eyes....

My old eyes didn't see much of a crack. Should be ok. Something that wasn't brought up... but first, you have an uncommon 1930r rifle. Most you see now are '42-
'44's. So what you have does not come along very often. These models with the '30's shank dates are hard to come by. So take care of this one, she'll be worth some money. But, my main point is - have you checked the tang date on this carbine? I have only seen a very few of these with a different receiver than the barrel. And this carbine should have a hex receiver. So, this is a very cool and unusual 91/59. The barrel was probably changed out when it was a 91/30.

And if you can't stand this mismatch, you can send it straight to me. I'll even pay the shipping :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
JoeZ

Post by JoeZ »

qz2026 wrote::cry: :cry: These are so Purdy, they bring tears to my eyes....

My old eyes didn't see much of a crack. Should be ok. Something that wasn't brought up... but first, you have an uncommon 1930r rifle. Most you see now are '42-
'44's. So what you have does not come along very often. These models with the '30's shank dates are hard to come by. So take care of this one, she'll be worth some money. But, my main point is - have you checked the tang date on this carbine? I have only seen a very few of these with a different receiver than the barrel. And this carbine should have a hex receiver. So, this is a very cool and unusual 91/59. The barrel was probably changed out when it was a 91/30.

And if you can't stand this mismatch, you can send it straight to me. I'll even pay the shipping :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes. Tang date is 39. I am pretty sure that's the date on barrel too, but the 9 looks like a 0.
I'll try to get a better pic, but it is really difficult to tell.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

To my eyes it looks like a 1939, the 9 is missed stamped and kinda looks like a 0 so would be correct in a round receiver and confirmed with the 39 tang.
Anywho, Tula are rarer 91/59s. :thumbsup:
Kollaa kestää
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Lee-online wrote:

To my eyes it looks like a 1939, the 9 is missed stamped and kinda looks like a 0 so would be correct in a round receiver and confirmed with the 39 tang.
Anywho, Tula are rarer 91/59s. :thumbsup:
Could be a '39. those are fairly uncommon too... Tula's seem to have represented about 1/2 the 91/59's before 1940. After that they are pretty uncommon. Probably has a lot to do with the German occupation in '41.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

nice one!!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I have already said it. I love the 91/59! I would not mind finding another one but if I never do I am just thrilled to have the one single example. Mine is somewhat scrubbed but not completely. I would have never found it if not for the generosity of Buckeye Sgt who already had his and passed the local find to me. It was listed for sale on a N Texas hunting forum. When you find em you jump on em if you can.
one finger john

Post by one finger john »

Love the subtle product placement in the last photo.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

[emoji14]
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

That's slick!