Why we love Mosins

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
King Johhny

Why we love Mosins

Post by King Johhny »

Hello
Just thought I'd start a topic on why we all love are Mosins. I Love mine because of the history and I would take a mosin over a modern hunting rifle any day.

Please post why you love mosins/ what you like about you mosin

M91/30 1940 Izhevsk
Oct 1944 Springfield Armory M1 Garand
Czech post war K98k
Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99
SMLE No.1 Mk.III 1918 "peddled scheme"
guido66

Re: Why we love Mosins

Post by guido66 »

As a student of history,I enjoy my mosin collection because mosin's are simply rich with history-And having a bit off russian dna in my ancestry might have something to do with it as well. Plastic guns may have their place,But there is nothing like wood and iron combined with age.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I am in it for the history, definitely not the shooting, my commercial sporters and US milsurps will shoot rings around all but the Finn Mosins. The history of the Mosin is longer than any other military bolt rifle, Revolutions and wars from one end of the world to the other. So much history that one lifetime is not enough to cover it all.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
JER

Post by JER »

I became interested after learning my Grandfather carried one, serving with the U.S. 339th Infantry in Russia, 1918-1919. Finding a Remington Mfg 1891 became a priority. Then a couple 91/30's to cover WW2, then a couple M-44's just 'cause they're a cool, great looking carbine, then a couple M39's...then..then.... well, you know lol...
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

the history, the design, the cool, the shooting.

I think that about covers it.

Oh yea, It also doubles as a spear.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

jones0430 wrote:the history, the design, the cool, the shooting.

I think that about covers it.

Oh yea, It also doubles as a spear.

:pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup:
sonney

Post by sonney »

Were else can you buy a 308 for under 200 dollars and have fun with it. Ammo is cheap and they make a good wall hanging.

sonney
Historyfan

Post by Historyfan »

Just as my Screen Name says....and the Shooting! I really enjoy the research and learning from the knowledge on this Board.
Great hobby!!
Dan

1930 Tula 91/30
1934 Ishevsk 91/30
1943 Ishevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper
1944 M44
docbob

Post by docbob »

There is so much history with these rifles and other milsurps that there is always something new to learn. When I handle a non-refurbed MN such as my '39 Tula [SA] with blood pitting on the receiver ring I wonder......was it a poor dumb Russian conscript that shed that blood during the winter war, or...........
I don't spend a lot of time with my sporting rifles anymore 'cause they have no history, no mysteries...............
entropy

Post by entropy »

The historical aspect coupled with the low cost (when I started collecting them about 10 years ago) was the main draw. I have had a lot of fun shooting and collecting them, as well as sharing appreciation of them with all of you, and many people on gun ranges.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

The history behind them and how the mind reels just thinking about the stories they can tell.

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1943 Shirley Enfield No 4 MK 1
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

King Johhny

Post by King Johhny »

Thanks everybody for posting! keep em' coming! :good: "Thanks:
M91/30 1940 Izhevsk
Oct 1944 Springfield Armory M1 Garand
Czech post war K98k
Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99
SMLE No.1 Mk.III 1918 "peddled scheme"
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

Because, Guns. So many guns. That's all.
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

There are many reasons. I have been a life-long student of history, so that is a big part. I like to shoot, and they shoot as good as I do. But, one big reason is this; I grew up during the cold war, surrounded by warnings of WWIII, the US vs The Soviet Union, in which most of human life (including me) on Earth would be sacrificed. I remember Khrushchev promising to bury us Americans, and a WWII vet teacher of mine was building a fall-out shelter. We won the cold war, and I now collect the spoils of our victory. Screw Khrushchev, I have the weapons he was going to clean us up with. .!.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Swandriver

Post by Swandriver »

History. Mystery of the rifle - where has it been, in what situations has it been used, who did it kill, who did it save.

Topic starter at the range. Holy crap, what is that? or, Wow, is that a Mosin Nagant?

The expressions non Mosin Nagant shooters have when the first fire one.

Best of all, the rifle itself. It looks like a war rifle, feels like a war rifle, shoots like a war rifle, sounds like a war rifle.

Almost impossible to break….
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

1. Because you can buy cheap ammo, lots, that is AP, Me like go shoot. :chuckles:
2. They are a bolt action like no other, when good and clean, like the slide on a fine Trombone. :music2.gif:
3. I get more accurate rifles than so-so ones. .......I have several that will do 5 in. groups and a few that will do under 3". :big shock:
4. They beat Germany on the Eastern front. :thumbsup:
5. Probably tougher than anything made today, todays are made too shoot, these Mosins are made to stab, beat, swing, or throw. :furious:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
TMB

Post by TMB »

Because I think the 91/30s look cool. They sorta remind me of a modern Kentucky rifle. I also liked the price of it and the ammo. :D
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I just love rifles. Not just Mosins, but pertaining to the Mosins I love the fact that you can buy 5 rifles, all Russians, or all Finns, or a mix and are all totally unique, and affordable to the average guy.
husker51

Post by husker51 »

I like my Mosins because they are cool old relics of a time gone by and they were affordable. I appreciate the story behind them and the individuality of each one I own. :vcool:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I've been collecting Mosin Nagants for about two and a half years. I don't have a large collection, but I have probably put more rounds through them than any bolt action milsurp I own. During my brief experience, I have learned a lot about the Eastern Front in WWII and Russia's war against the Finns and the Nazis. I love the rifles for their simplicity, ruggedness and the plentiful supply of surplus ammo that feeds them. I probably paid an average of $140 for the eight M91/30 rifles and $200 for the three carbines. I have a supply of ammo that will keep them shooting for years to come. Some I don't shoot for my own personal reasons. These are the ex-dragoon hex receiver M91/30s with the nicest metal finish and stocks, so they are essentially unfired since refurbishment. To sum it up, I love these rifles for their place in history, their collectibility and the sheer fun of shooting them. I'm not sure if I will acquire any more, but I always keep an open mind and wallet if the deal is right. I don't think I could ever vote for the Mosin Nagant as the best battle rifle of the second world war, as I could rank several rifles ahead of them including the M1 Garand and the Enfield SMLE. Nevertheless, I will never deny that Mosin Nagant rifles have a unique place in firearms history and need to be preserved as is.