Mosins can be like a box of chocolates......

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
SA1911a1

Mosins can be like a box of chocolates......

Post by SA1911a1 »

I had been keeping my modest collection to Izhevsk rifles, but at a recent gun show I found this nice wartime Tula on a table, and the vendor didn't think it was made of gold, so I bought it.

It is really nice for a wartime gun, the machine work was the quality of the pre-war stuff and the stock had no varnish and was a really nice "walnut" color, and free of big dings. The refurb was very nice job on the refinish. The bore was very nice with plenty of shine. This one also had the brass trim on the handguard which was novel to me.

When I opened her up a got a nice surprise. The tang was a '39 Izhevsk (explaining the nice finish) and was also stamped '43.
If I had been a little more experienced, the nice machine work on the receiver should have gotten my attention a little more.

When did the Tula plant start operations in the Urals? Does the date indicate that this might have been made on Tula machinery at the Izhevsk arsenal?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Mosins can be like a box of chocolates......

Post by Darryl »

Tula M91's 1891 to 1932 + or -.

Tula M91/30 1930 to 1948 (both Hex and round receivers) changed over around 1936

They were pressed by the Germans in 1943 and 44 and for a while the parts from Tula were sent over to Izhevsk for assembly. I think if it had Tula marking on it, it was machined in the Tula factory.

I'm not positive about the exact time and dates that was, but I think it was in 43 or 44???

Dolk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

See, I told you there would be no stopping once you got going, before you know it you will have 100 8-) Nice rifle Steve.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

We told you. First a Finn, now the Tulas. It will never stop my friend.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Noble Sniper

Post by Noble Sniper »

Tula moved operations in 1941 due to the german advance into the SOviet Union. The reason why you see so few 1941 tula 91-30's etc............ ;)
•"Was there ever a people whose leaders were as truly their enemies as this one?"
- Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

"....from my cold dead hands:
President Charleton Heston

"Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !! "
Dr. Strangelove
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Longcolt44 wrote:We told you. First a Finn, now the Tulas. It will never stop my friend.

Ain't gonna happen L.C. I only want one more then it is off to collecting mouse guns. Any Idea where I can get a simulated pearl handled Raven? Does Hi-Point make .25s? Is there a mouse gun forum somewhere?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Have you called the local cathouse...is that right? Seriously, use a .22 revolver with Aguila "Super Colibri".
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

C'mon, Be honest. You bought the one with the Smiley Face on it :?: :o :shock: :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice one SA anything tula above a 40 is hard to find 8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Longcolt44 wrote:Have you called the local cathouse...is that right? Seriously, use a .22 revolver with Aguila "Super Colibri".
Took your advice and got one L.C. :D

(This is the revolver I learned to shoot with)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Those will pop a little bit through a pistol, but are dead silent from a rifle. They sound like a spitball out of a straw.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mouse gun, oh, you mean like my 1847 Colt Walker? :lol:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:shock: What size are the Mice? :shock:
Junk Yard Dog wrote: 1847 Colt Walker?
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

desdem12 wrote::shock: What size are the Mice? :shock:
Junk Yard Dog wrote: 1847 Colt Walker?
He is old and is having vision problems, he read it as Moose. :D
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

millman wrote:Those will pop a little bit through a pistol, but are dead silent from a rifle. They sound like a spitball out of a straw.
I wasn't thinking about the noise, I was thinking about the power in the house.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Longcolt44 wrote:
millman wrote:Those will pop a little bit through a pistol, but are dead silent from a rifle. They sound like a spitball out of a straw.
I wasn't thinking about the noise, I was thinking about the power in the house.
8-)

C. S. Lewis
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Wow! is that a giant mouse or a tiny pistol?
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

I just spent the afternoon with my Chocolates checking bores and running an oily patch through them and their cousins being Enfields, Schmidt Rubins, Mausers, and some of the modern stuff. All the 22's got a wipe down as they haven't been to the range recently. So I now have to spent some quality time with the Boss as I have been either here at the key board or with my collection. But you are right about the Mosins Nagants I have 8 if you include my M39's and I am still willing to add to the group. But if I do I will need another storage location Hard pressed to hide 50+ guns in my house. :mrgreen:
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

SA1911a1 wrote:
Longcolt44 wrote:We told you. First a Finn, now the Tulas. It will never stop my friend.

Ain't gonna happen L.C. I only want one more then it is off to collecting mouse guns. Any Idea where I can get a simulated pearl handled Raven? Does Hi-Point make .25s? Is there a mouse gun forum somewhere?
How many times have I said "just one more"
We have met the enemy and he is us.