My First American !! (KEEP LOOKING!!!!)

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Gsragtop

My First American !! (KEEP LOOKING!!!!)

Post by Gsragtop »

You never know what you will find, even if you have been to a store 100 times.. Today is another day !
I have this one pawn shop that I stop in all of the time when I am traveling, its a cool shop, with good deals on guns. However they NEVER have any mil surps with the exception of the occasional bubba job. Today is my last day in town and I figured I would take one more look.... BINGO AND SCORE !!!!!!
I have never purchased an American Rifle before because I cant afford them as a rule of thumb. However to every rule there is an exception, and for $250 I took this beauty home.. I am so excited !!! However im not 100% sure what I have.. I believe the receiver is a 1927 and the barrel a 1942 and it is an "S" stamped stock which I assume means Springfield. However the stock looks like its to nice to have seen action, where did it come from?? What can you guys tell me??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My First American !! (KEEP LOOKING!!!!)

Post by millman »

Damn! You stole that.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

You must have been one of their very very good customers in the past... Nice rifle ! :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

HOLLY HELL :thumbsup: :BBQ2: :cam2.gif: :Drool1: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

You just made about 750 to $950 with that purchase, depending upon the bore condition. Nice score !
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

jones0430 wrote:You just made about 750 to $950 with that purchase, depending upon the bore condition. Nice score !
No way.. really???
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

:o You got that for $250??? 250 American dollars?? :o

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Now that is the steal of the week!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Lotema wrote::o You got that for $250??? 250 American dollars?? :o

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Now that is the steal of the week!
Yes $250 American, lol... I knew it was a good deal, but I did not realize it was such a great deal..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

You could flip that overnight and double your money easy. A little work, good photos etc, you could likely triple it. Very nice deal. The question now is how good does it shoot?!! My first American rifle was a m1903 Mark I with a 42 barrel. That one is an insanely good shooter. For a first American, you did very well and are gonna really like it at the range! Congrats!
Lotema
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Lotema wrote:You could flip that overnight and double your money easy. A little work, good photos etc, you could likely triple it. Very nice deal. The question now is how good does it shoot?!! My first American rifle was a m1903 Mark I with a 42 barrel. That one is an insanely good shooter. For a first American, you did very well and are gonna really like it at the range! Congrats!
Some things I have read online say that I should not shoot new production 30-06 from this rifle and only use surplus ammo.. Is this true??
target

Post by target »

I shoot commercial ammo in mine, as do thousands others. They may be confused with the M1 Garand which is a bit more sensitive.

I have a feeling someone is getting fired once the boss realizes how little that fine rifle sold for. You sir are a thief... in a good way though. Excellent 1903.
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

You took that rifle! Unreal.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They even gave you a case with it, you better not go back there for six months or a year because somebody is likely to tell them what you got. :lol: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Gsragtop wrote:
Lotema wrote:You could flip that overnight and double your money easy. A little work, good photos etc, you could likely triple it. Very nice deal. The question now is how good does it shoot?!! My first American rifle was a m1903 Mark I with a 42 barrel. That one is an insanely good shooter. For a first American, you did very well and are gonna really like it at the range! Congrats!
Some things I have read online say that I should not shoot new production 30-06 from this rifle and only use surplus ammo.. Is this true??
Mine loved the 180gr Winchester, no problems at all. Ive reused that brass many times with 150 and 168 gr bullets and its been fine. I also shoot a lot of the HXP surplus without issue. It'll eat just about anything you want to give it.
Lotema
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I paid about that much for one over 20 years ago and thought I was getting a good deal. :thumbsup:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Looks fantastic. Big time congrats my friend!
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

You the Man./Indeed a steal.
Looks like 1 1923 serial Number.
http://www.bowersweapons.com/US%20MODEL ... RANGES.htm

Great Find.
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Very nice Springfield 03! Yes you did steal that. That's why pawn shops are my favorite places to check out, you can get some darn nice deals! Congratulations, you did real real good! :thumbsup:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Wow !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Drool1: If you get arrested for stealing it I suspect guys here will bail you out..... they'd know you have collateral. :lol: I went to a show today and saw tons of neat rifles and several Americans but none I could afford. Many congrats on a great score, now you can start looking for the next one. 8-)
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
sapishka

Post by sapishka »

the 1903 rifle an 1903A3 etc can shoot m-2 ball all day hunting ammo as well commercial etc. ,clean the bore after shooting m2ball if its before 1957 head stamp ,yes corrosive primed .the M1 Garand uses regular m2 ball military US stuff or greek hxp 30-06 of course .the shooting of heavier loaded commercial ammunition can and will damage the long op-rod ,that's the deal on those . American Eagle has new for m1 Garand ammo just to keep the loads correct for shooting the M1 Garand .nice stuff too .

Sapishka