Anyone Own A Marlin Model 60SB

Rim Fire Firearms
Buckhead

Re: Anyone Own A Marlin Model 60SB

Post by Buckhead »

I agree with you millman rimfirecentral is my go to .22 sight good info and good people.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I just picked up a 1981 Glenfield Model 60 "squirrel stock" off Armslist that had been bouncing around on there for over a month. The stock had some boo-boos but replacements are available on both ebay and GB. I offered him $100 and met him at Gander Mountain to pick it up. Needs some TLC, it's been rode hard and put away wet, he said it belonged to a small town PD and probably spent most of it's time thrown in the trunk of a squad car. It's as much for sentimental reasons as to have another .22, my very first firearm that I ever had was a squirrel-stocked Glenfield .22 :thumbsup:
IH424

Post by IH424 »

I'll play, here's mine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
entropy

Post by entropy »

There are few aftermarket parts for the Model 60 because it is a base level .22 plinking gun, and not at all ameniable to drop in parts like the 10/22. If you want a Marlin .22 that there's more options for such, the Model 795 is a better choice. Of course the Ruger 10/22 is the Lego gun in .22LR. :wink:

I personally find Model 60's a PITA to clean, but that could be because there were stacks of them to do at the shop every spring. :very mad:

Course, I should talk-I have a Rem. 552, also a PITA to dissassemble. Traded my son the 10/22 he was always borrowing for raccoon hunting for it, so I'd have something around to shoot! (in .22)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

PITA to clean? You need ONE tool, a straight screwdriver to tear it down, how hard can that be? Two screws to get it out of the stock, then three screws on the old style, one on the new and your action assembly is off. Hose it down, clean down inside with a Qtip and Hoppes, light lube and put it back together, takes me less time than it does to clean an AR.
entropy

Post by entropy »

I intensley dislike cleaning rifle barrels from the muzzle. The barrel of the Marin 60 is swaged into the reciever.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Splined and pinned actually. The barrel's still the easiest part to clean, the action either blasted out or a heck of a lot of Qtips! I just replaced the missing recoil buffer on the old style one that I just bought, three wire ties to hold all the spring-loaded stuff in place while removing the side plate, still not a lot of fun and another hand would have been nice...glad I don't have to do it often! I'm betting that this one, like most, had it's share of Stingers run through it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

mogunner wrote:Splined and pinned actually. The barrel's still the easiest part to clean, the action either blasted out or a heck of a lot of Qtips! I just replaced the missing recoil buffer on the old style one that I just bought, three wire ties to hold all the spring-loaded stuff in place while removing the side plate, still not a lot of fun and another hand would have been nice...glad I don't have to do it often! I'm betting that this one, like most, had it's share of Stingers run through it.
The first time I took one apart I didn't know about the cable tie trick, I had to compress all them springs back into place!

Marlin recommend as little cleaning of the barrel as possible, I will admit I rarely clean mine and it doesn't seem to hurt them.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

The "micro-groove" rifling on these is supposed to reduce fouling substantially, I know that I never used a brush on mine, just run a wet patch, dry patch, oil patch, dry patch and put it away. You do get some residue down in the feed throat that is easily cleaned out with a Qtip, the action itself is probably good for thousands of rounds or more before needing attention. Thanks to the military, I'm bad(?) about having to clean everything after shooting, even the .22's.
entropy

Post by entropy »

mogunner wrote:Splined and pinned actually. The barrel's still the easiest part to clean, the action either blasted out or a heck of a lot of Qtips! I just replaced the missing recoil buffer on the old style one that I just bought, three wire ties to hold all the spring-loaded stuff in place while removing the side plate, still not a lot of fun and another hand would have been nice...glad I don't have to do it often! I'm betting that this one, like most, had it's share of Stingers run through it.
Yup, forgot about that; dismantled a few for parts, only time I ever took barrels off them.

Murphy was an optimist.

mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Mine had a slight movement of the barrel in the receiver, a previous owner thought it'd be just fine to shim between the magazine tube and the stock in order to keep the barrel from moving! While it wouldn't have made a difference with the iron sights as both are located on the barrel, I planned on mounting a scope on the receiver so that had to be taken care of. I marked the barrel and receiver, removed the pin and slid the barrel out. Cleaning the splines, I coated them with red loctite and reinstalled it. Since the holes on the receiver were also bunged up from from some idiots attempt to "fix" it, I tossed it into the mill and took the holes out one size, cutting off the drill bit and using it as the new pin. Problem solved! Just glad the receiver wasn't cracked as many are that were abused over the years.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I lost my train of thought due to Longcolt44 claiming to have a 30 year old Marlin that he has not loaded or shot. I have mentioned my surprise many times, but I just have to say it again! If Millman gets ahold of it I'll bring a couple bricks of the good stuff to break it in. :P
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Today she got to shoot it.

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

bunkysdad wrote:I lost my train of thought due to Longcolt44 claiming to have a 30 year old Marlin that he has not loaded or shot. I have mentioned my surprise many times, but I just have to say it again! If Millman gets ahold of it I'll bring a couple bricks of the good stuff to break it in. :P
I ran about 50 rounds thru it when he wasn't looking. Forget that whole unfired business. Frankly it shoots a little to the left as it sits.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

millman wrote:
bunkysdad wrote:I lost my train of thought due to Longcolt44 claiming to have a 30 year old Marlin that he has not loaded or shot. I have mentioned my surprise many times, but I just have to say it again! If Millman gets ahold of it I'll bring a couple bricks of the good stuff to break it in. :P
I ran about 50 rounds thru it when he wasn't looking. Forget that whole unfired business. Frankly it shoots a little to the left as it sits.
The problem with LC44 is that he is a savvy dealer. He buys things I want, and makes me stand tall to get them. Case in point is this Norinco Mauser trainer knock off. He stole it from some poor soul needing to feed his family, and then gets a twofer from me. Not complaining really, as these are hard to find, but Sheesh. :) Just playin Chuck. Mauser for a 44 VKT M39 & a 1936 Izhevsk 91/30.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I took my daughter to the range today and the Marlin ran like it's supposed to. The iron sights were pretty close to right on the money right out of the box. And that was good because I need to figure out something else with the scope. Maybe I just need to locktite the screws. But my daughter had a blast and enjoyed dropping 22's into the tube a lot more than loading magazines. I posted a picture of her shooting it up a couple posts. Here she is posing with the rifle and the target. I am not sure she's all too pleased with me taking the picture.
IMAG0070 (Small).jpg
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Mike

Post by Mike »

BubbaDX wrote:I took my daughter to the range today and the Marlin ran like it's supposed to. The iron sights were pretty close to right on the money right out of the box. And that was good because I need to figure out something else with the scope. Maybe I just need to locktite the screws. But my daughter had a blast and enjoyed dropping 22's into the tube a lot more than loading magazines. I posted a picture of her shooting it up a couple posts. Here she is posing with the rifle and the target. I am not sure she's all too pleased with me taking the picture.
IMAG0070 (Small).jpg
Blue locktite on the screws is all you need, I've done that to all of mine.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

millman wrote:
millman wrote:
The problem with LC44 is that he is a savvy dealer. He buys things I want, and makes me stand tall to get them. Case in point is this Norinco Mauser trainer knock off. He stole it from some poor soul needing to feed his family, and then gets a twofer from me. Not complaining really, as these are hard to find, but Sheesh. :) Just playin Chuck. Mauser for a 44 VKT M39 & a 1936 Izhevsk 91/30.
I haven't shot these either. I seem to be missing a Ruger revolver, hummmmm??
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Finally got to shoot mine today after all the repair work I had to do on it. It ran fine, however it seems finding decent quality ammo will be the secret to it being accurate. I only took two kinds with me, some Blazer LRN and Remington HV Golden Bullets. The Blazers gave me a 3" group at 50 yards which is ridiculous. I switched to the Remingtons and the group tightened up to a respectable one IF you threw out the flyers from the obviously under-powered rounds! The difference in report was so varied, the ones that sounded louder were shooting out the bull, the ones that sounded weaker were hitting 2" low. I guess I'll have to drag out some of the CCI Mini-mags or the match grade stuff to see if this one will shine as it should.