M44 supplier suggestions - AIM vs Classic

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
gregsteb

M44 supplier suggestions - AIM vs Classic

Post by gregsteb »

I'm going to be ordering 4 M44's. Aim has them listed, as does Classic. Aim is $10 higher and has an additional $10 hand pick charge. Supposedly, Classic's are Molot imports and the reviews are mixed. AIM has no reviews available and could very well be Molot imports also.

Has anyone bought an M44 from AIM? Or Classic?

I generally like having the handpick option, but I seriously have reservations about them hand picking from the best of 5 for 4 different rifles. I really doubt they will hand pick 4 from a group of 20. I'm on the fence on which company to buy from and was hoping for some feedback or reviews from members.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: M44 supplier suggestions - AIM vs Classic

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

So far as I know only imports of M44's have been Molot. Molot will have all the typical Molot engravings but it is still a Soviet era M44. This supply will be exhausted soon, I don't think it matters were you get them so long as you can get them. I never bought a M44 from Classic, I did buy 91/30's from them, no problems with the weapons, crappy packing job, that was almost 10 years back. Aim I bought several carbines from, no problems.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The only recent imports of M44's I should have said, I might also mention that Aim is known for holding back some rifles and selling them at a later date for more cash, so it is remotely possible that they are selling off M44's from an earlier batch from Ukraine. Only way to know for sure is to call them and ask.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I would buy from Aim anytime over Classic (the used car salesmen of Milsurps) if for no other reason than the way they deal with people at times. All dealers hold back things and try to increase the value of them. If they were honest enough to admit that over the phone I would be very surprised. They always act like they are your buddies when you buy often from them but they are in business to make money and they use any methods necessary. They aren't Wallmart and to expect them to act like that is ridiculous. Making Bucks is their game and they do what they can get away with period! Good Luck! That is what it will take and never fool yourself to think any other way. Bill ;mywink;
JayPoc

Post by JayPoc »

If they are the "excellent" ones from AIM priced out around $250, then I do think they are the recent Molots. But they periodically have shooter grade, project grade, etc. Just a few months back they had a nice batch of presumable Balkans that hadn't seen the typical soviet refurb process. I am happy enough with mine, although I haven't shot it yet.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You could order a couple from each place, and make notes on things like friendliness, customer service, quality of packing, promptness in shipping, etc. ... then compare notes and you will have a wealth of info for future purchases. Personally I think you will be fine either way. As for best of 5, I just don't think they have a person picking through them anymore. I think the best of 5 come from a shelf with the best of 5 already packed and ready to go. I could be wrong.
IJDM

Post by IJDM »

Over the past 2 months I have boughtboth a311/30 and M44 from Classic. No issues and both exceeded expectations.
Last edited by IJDM on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

I'll throw this out there, Samco has M44s for $169.95. They have them listed as Good to Very Good but I've learned condition is subjective sometimes when dealing with online vendors. It's kind of a crap shoot most times. http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype ... 4&subcat=5
gregsteb

Post by gregsteb »

WeldonHunter wrote:I'll throw this out there, Samco has M44s for $169.95. They have them listed as Good to Very Good but I've learned condition is subjective sometimes when dealing with online vendors. It's kind of a crap shoot most times. http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype ... 4&subcat=5

Good catch. I got excited until I looked at the fine print. 60-65% blue and guaranteed to have cracked stocks. That could very well be what I end up with anyway, and at a much higher price.

I went with AIM after weighing my options. I only bought 2 and payed for hand select. I'm impatient, so that kills me, but it'll let me see what I'm getting before I order anymore. Plus my checkbook can recover.

Thank you for the feedback.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

gregsteb wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote:I'll throw this out there, Samco has M44s for $169.95. They have them listed as Good to Very Good but I've learned condition is subjective sometimes when dealing with online vendors. It's kind of a crap shoot most times. http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype ... 4&subcat=5

Good catch. I got excited until I looked at the fine print. 60-65% blue and guaranteed to have cracked stocks. That could very well be what I end up with anyway, and at a much higher price.

I went with AIM after weighing my options. I only bought 2 and payed for hand select. I'm impatient, so that kills me, but it'll let me see what I'm getting before I order anymore. Plus my checkbook can recover.

I hadn't noticed that. They recently added that to the description. It was there before. There was a shipment of unrefurbed M44s that were being sold recently and the guys were all over them. AIM was selling those. That might be what these are too. The pictures can sometimes be different from what they actually have but looking at the one they're using that rifle sure looks like it's not a refurbished M44.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

gregsteb wrote:

It may be that at this time of Mosin Collecting that a few bucks one way or another may look awful small before too long. As long as you are not paying tourist prices at the local brick and mortar, you will most likely be ok. Being a tightwad, a cracked stock for a substantial discount would sound good to me. If you get all of the wood, cracked stocks or even ones that are badly broken are not that hard to fix.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
husker51

Post by husker51 »

I just wanted to add that SOG still has M44s listed. And they have them in laminated stocks as well. I paid $229.99, prior to hand pick and tax, for laminate. They jumped to $259.99 about a month ago. The others are $239.99. I was very happy with what I received. It wasn't the 1944 Tula I told them I preferred :lol: but it was still one of they very best Mosins I have purchased. :2cents:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
gregsteb

Post by gregsteb »

husker51 wrote:I just wanted to add that SOG still has M44s listed. And they have them in laminated stocks as well. I paid $229.99, prior to hand pick and tax, for laminate. They jumped to $259.99 about a month ago. The others are $239.99. I was very happy with what I received. It wasn't the 1944 Tula I told them I preferred :lol: but it was still one of they very best Mosins I have purchased. :2cents:

Well so much for patience. I remembered SOG, but the 44's didn't come up under Mosin in the search criteria. After your post I entered m44 and there they are. I'm not on file with them so I'll need to get my paperwork on file. I'm going to opt for the laminated option also.
gregsteb

Post by gregsteb »

SA1911a1 wrote:
gregsteb wrote:

It may be that at this time of Mosin Collecting that a few bucks one way or another may look awful small before too long. As long as you are not paying tourist prices at the local brick and mortar, you will most likely be ok. Being a tightwad, a cracked stock for a substantial discount would sound good to me. If you get all of the wood, cracked stocks or even ones that are badly broken are not that hard to fix.

I'm cheap as well, except when it comes to tools and firearms. When it comes to them, I buy the best I can afford. Your right on with the stock repairs, it's the lack of blueing that concerned me. If I was buying them as shooters they would be perfect. I have select rifles of each model, that I use as shooters and the rest are wall hangers.

Speaking of brick and morter shops, my wife was out-of-town this weekend, so I hit 5 gun shops and a gun show. 6 stops and thousands of rifles. I saw a TOTAL of 3 Mosin's. A '42 Izh 91/30 - beat to hell for $199. A '43 Izh -with a misdrilled scope mount and cheap scope for $199. And a '44 M38 that someone put a couple hundred coats of high gloss urethene on for $380. Pretty depressing.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

gregsteb wrote:
husker51 wrote:I just wanted to add that SOG still has M44s listed. And they have them in laminated stocks as well. I paid $229.99, prior to hand pick and tax, for laminate. They jumped to $259.99 about a month ago. The others are $239.99. I was very happy with what I received. It wasn't the 1944 Tula I told them I preferred :lol: but it was still one of they very best Mosins I have purchased. :2cents:

Well so much for patience. I remembered SOG, but the 44's didn't come up under Mosin in the search criteria. After your post I entered m44 and there they are. I'm not on file with them so I'll need to get my paperwork on file. I'm going to opt for the laminated option also.
The laminates are in the list at the link I posted and I just added to hardwood M44s too. I try to keep whatever is available in there but some slip by.
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

I have purchased from both with no problems.

Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
gregsteb

Post by gregsteb »

bunkysdad wrote:You could order a couple from each place, and make notes on things like friendliness, customer service, quality of packing, promptness in shipping, etc. ... then compare notes and you will have a wealth of info for future purchases. Personally I think you will be fine either way. As for best of 5, I just don't think they have a person picking through them anymore. I think the best of 5 come from a shelf with the best of 5 already packed and ready to go. I could be wrong.

I took your advice. I ordered 2 from Aim, 2 from Classic, and 2 Laminates from SOG.

These are my observations and based on this experience, one supplier really led the pack.

Customer service -

SOG Their reps were freindly, they weren't rushed or fake, very professional and helpful. I spoke to two different reps on two different occasions and
both were excellent.

AIM I got off the phone and felt like they are doing me a favor. I'll take your petty order, but hurry I have bigger fish to fry. I'm an old man and I've
become accustomed to being treated respectfully and they just rubbed me wrong.

Classic. No complaints. They were easy to deal with. Freindly and helpful.

Order updates

all 3 immediately sent invoices and updated the order status.

Shipping

SOG - They shipped next day and provided tracking. 3 days to my door. Exceptional service.

Classic- They shipped the morning of the 3rd day and provided tracking. I believe that is perfectly acceptable service, no complaints.

AIM - They notified me the item had shipped 5 days after I placed the order, but that was on a Friday and the order didn't get picked up until Monday,
so 8 days until the packaged shipped. I should mention that the FFL was already on file with them, so unlike the other two suppliers they didn't
have to verify the FFL. SLOW SERVICE. Also, they are the only supplier that doesn't provide tracking information. I actually ordered a different
Rifle from SOG a week after AIM, and received it a day sooner than this shipment from AIM.

I don't intend to single out or to rip on AIM. Their service is fine / acceptable, but compared to Classic subpar. Classic actually had very good service
across the board. SOG has exceptional service.

I'll update on packaging and product quality tommorow night. Sneak preview, AIM gains ground on quality ( which - when all is said and done is what
really matters) However, SOG still manages to outpace their competition.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

My response would have been AIM. Yes, it seems to take a little longer for their order/shipping process to kick in. I've done my fair share of business with them in the past. I just got tired of the crap shoot when ordering sight unseen. If any issues popped up, they were all over it. I've never had to call them. All the big companies have been very responsive to me via email. But, I think I could say that for all of them. I'd obviously be interested in the over all quality of the rifles but I would like to know exactly what these guys are shipping now. My thoughts are that there are still some Ukraine refurbs out there, but I think that most are Molots and some Tulsk'y carbines as well which was the most current shipment coming out of Russia. I think the $169 rifles being discussed above was an overflow of the Romanian non refurbs that hit a while back that you see all over GB for $200 now.
gregsteb

Post by gregsteb »

qz2026 wrote:My response would have been AIM. Yes, it seems to take a little longer for their order/shipping process to kick in. I've done my fair share of business with them in the past. I just got tired of the crap shoot when ordering sight unseen. If any issues popped up, they were all over it. I've never had to call them. All the big companies have been very responsive to me via email. But, I think I could say that for all of them. I'd obviously be interested in the over all quality of the rifles but I would like to know exactly what these guys are shipping now. My thoughts are that there are still some Ukraine refurbs out there, but I think that most are Molots and some Tulsk'y carbines as well which was the most current shipment coming out of Russia. I think the $169 rifles being discussed above was an overflow of the Romanian non refurbs that hit a while back that you see all over GB for $200 now.

Your a yooper. I'm going to guess Sault St. Marie? Close enough. I love da yoopers, good humor. I have a cabin in Lutsen, MN. I pick up the U.P on the radio from across Lake Superior.

I'll update on rifle quality with pics tommorow night.

I did buy 1 of the $169 specials, it makes the worst of the type 53's look pretty damn nice and thats not saying much. Your right on about the non refurbs flooding GB. I can't believe the sellers on GB have been able to get by without further descibing the condition. Mine is blacker than the ace of spades, the cleaning brush drops down the bore, and the blueing is maybe 70%. Really rough.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

gregsteb wrote:
qz2026 wrote:My response would have been AIM. Yes, it seems to take a little longer for their order/shipping process to kick in. I've done my fair share of business with them in the past. I just got tired of the crap shoot when ordering sight unseen. If any issues popped up, they were all over it. I've never had to call them. All the big companies have been very responsive to me via email. But, I think I could say that for all of them. I'd obviously be interested in the over all quality of the rifles but I would like to know exactly what these guys are shipping now. My thoughts are that there are still some Ukraine refurbs out there, but I think that most are Molots and some Tulsk'y carbines as well which was the most current shipment coming out of Russia. I think the $169 rifles being discussed above was an overflow of the Romanian non refurbs that hit a while back that you see all over GB for $200 now.
Your a yooper. I'm going to guess Sault St. Marie? .

lol, not a yooper. I'm 60 miles due south of the bridge-northern, lower Michigan. My brother is a Yooper - he's weird :D

I did buy 1 of the $169 specials, it makes the worst of the type 53's look pretty damn nice and thats not saying much.

I knew when I first saw them, I think it was Classic, sell out so fast that most were on their way to GB. A few guys on the forums bought and posted them. I had a feeling about those Classic $169 shipped rifles and was right. Some are ok, but just that - ok. My thought are the same about the SAMCO stuff too. I really don't think any of these made it to Curik for refurbishment. If they did, they were probably pass-throughs and likely considered too much work for the pennies Century would give them. SAMCO probably got them from Classic or visa versa. Get what you pay for and I wouldn't touch a non refurb without looking it over or seeing a lot of pictures. For some guys though, it's just their cup of tea. That's what I like about the Mosins. There's something for everyone. I've got some really nice, I'm fairly certain Romanian, M-44 non refurbs with mirror bores, nice untouched stocks and nicely weathered metal that I picked up over the years.