First Year Tula - '49 SKS

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
martin08

First Year Tula - '49 SKS

Post by martin08 »

I don't know why I like Russian gun designs. But when I review the contents of the collection, it seems like the six dozen Mosins, SKS's, and a token AK-47 would tell that I do have a focus - for whatever reason.

Today, I'll introduce the beginning of the SKS model run, a 1949 Samozaryadniy Karabin sistemi Simonova (Самозарядный карабин системы Симонова). These are found in three basic configurations here in the US. There are a handful or less of the original configuration guns with the spike bayonet, a few more with blade bayonet and early features, and some with blade bayonet and upgraded features. All are refurbished to my knowledge, and are considered extremely rare in any condition.

Mine is the blade bayonet model with the early features of a reinforced bayo groove on the front stock ferrule, 90deg gas block, spring loaded firing pin, tabbed bolt/bolt carrier system (pics are representative, from my '50 Tula) , open looped takedown lever, scrolled receiver cover logo, and friction held (vs. springed) safety lever. But enough talk. Here are a few pics. Enjoy, and thanks for looking.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: First Year Tula - '49 SKS

Post by Rongo »

8-) 8-)

Very nice early example. I'm very happy with my 54' Tula. A fine rifle. :D
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very nice '49, mine is a '50 Tula I picked up back in the 90's when we first started to see them on the market, thanks for sharing it with us 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Nice. I have been wanting one of these since that dude, (member here) that lives up in the hills, posted a picture of his. Very nice. 8-) 8-)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Very nice 8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Sweet!
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Hlavinka

Post by Hlavinka »

VERY NICE! Sold my '49 for a small fortune and it didn't have the 90 degree gas block. I still regret it.
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

Great pics and a beautiful SKS. The Russian SKS is the smoothest that I have had experience with, the fit and finish are miles above the other SKS's that I have fired. Does having some of the early features add value to the gun? Just curious.
Hlavinka

Post by Hlavinka »

Ban-One wrote:Does having some of the early features add value to the gun? Just curious.
Big time.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

The year and rarity of the gun do make it valuable, as Hlavinka has alluded. Far less than 1% of SKS's in the US are first year issue guns. The early features add a bit more value, and if one can find a non-refurbished with the spike bayonet, well, make sure you buy a lottery ticket or two!
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

Well...no lottery winner here but I still love my Russian SKS. One more question, I thought that the SKS's all used chrome lined barrels. I have a Russian SKS without a chrome lined barrel and was wondering why this was.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

The '49 and '50 were originally all non-chromed barrels. Some early 51's also had non-chrome and the early style bolt and carrier, but are not common. Late '51 to '56 were all chrome lined.

And examples from the early ones can be found with chromed bores from a barrel replacement during the refurb process.