Ithaca model 49 saddle gun

Rim Fire Firearms
wolfstein

Ithaca model 49 saddle gun

Post by wolfstein »

I have never blued or restored a gun before. (I would never touch my Mosins for any change to them) However, I recently purchased an Ithaca model 49 single shot 22. It was really rusty and in bad shape cosmetically, however very sound mechanically. So I decided to see what I could do with the little gun. Here are some before and after pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Ithaca model 49 saddle gun

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice job, I had one years back and traded it for some milsurp or other. It was sized for a child and while I did shoot it I had difficulty with the short stock.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I gave one of these to my grandson for Christmas 3 years ago, he was 10. One of our members that passed away, Kari Prager, had sent it to me for him.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Great job!!
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Looks good. These have a very poor painted on finish originally & it tends to chip off over time.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Rongo wrote:Looks good. These have a very poor painted on finish originally & it tends to chip off over time.
Yep, noticed that on mine... But as most older 22 rifles one heck of a good shooter.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You did a great little restoration on this one.
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

When I first restored this gun I didn't do anything to the stock. Last week I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a "shot". I'm not very good at working with wood, but here are my results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis