Cracked stock repair?

Everything shotgun discussed here.
dmoore714

Cracked stock repair?

Post by dmoore714 »

Back when I was in highschool and too dumb to care, my grandfather gave me his old double barrel shotgun. He told me it was "really old" and I probably shouldn't shoot it... so I cleaned and oiled it, and then locked it in a closet and forgot about it.

I got it out this past Christmas and cleaned it again, and realized it's a really beautiful gun. Ithaca double barrel, maybe a Flues model. Guessing pre-1920. But it has a medium sized crack in the stock.

Is there something that can be done to repair the crack, or keep it from getting worse? I don't plan to shoot it again. But want it to stay in one piece so I can pass it down to my grandson someday (if I ever have one)
SA1911a1

Re: Cracked stock repair?

Post by SA1911a1 »

dmoore714 wrote:Back when I was in highschool and too dumb to care, my grandfather gave me his old double barrel shotgun. He told me it was "really old" and I probably shouldn't shoot it... so I cleaned and oiled it, and then locked it in a closet and forgot about it.

I got it out this past Christmas and cleaned it again, and realized it's a really beautiful gun. Ithaca double barrel, maybe a Flues model. Guessing pre-1920. But it has a medium sized crack in the stock.

Is there something that can be done to repair the crack, or keep it from getting worse? I don't plan to shoot it again. But want it to stay in one piece so I can pass it down to my grandson someday (if I ever have one)
Post a close-up of the crack and maybe someone will have a good solution.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
dmoore714

Post by dmoore714 »

Didn't get a good up-close picture... but here's the whole gun. Crack is right around where the red circle is. I keep this one at my parents' house (because I live in the hood and don't have a safe). Going home this weekend though. Will try to get a better pic of the crack up close.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Could be 20's but I am guessing it's a bit newer than that, 40's maybe, try Numrich arms ( google them) you may be able to find a good, or even a new replacement stock for that. Boxlock shotguns are easier to fit a stock to than the sidelock models. Is it loose and rattling? Not locking up? Wear on the internal parts? This is a good gun, Ithaca didn't make crap guns there is no reason if the gun is still sound that you can't shoot it. Have a gunsmith eyeball the work's in it and make sure you do not have a Damascus twist barrel, replace the stock or fix the crack, and take it to the range. I shoot shotguns as old or older than this with no difficulties. Just stay away from the magnum loads and check the size of the chamber to be sure it's 2 3/4. Nice gun, I had one under the shop counter for 30 years before we replaced it with something more modern.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
dmoore714

Post by dmoore714 »

Thanks for the tip!

If I'm not mistaken it has a date stamped on it somewhere. Maybe 1914 or 1915. Will look for that when I go home this weekend. Either way... Its oldest thing I own :)

Even if I replace the stock I doubt I'll ever shoot it. Its more of an heirlume than a gun in my eyes.