New Guy Question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Dianoga

New Guy Question

Post by Dianoga »

Hello everyone,

This is my 2nd post and I'm anxiously waiting the arrival of my first Mosin Nagant 91/30. I purchased it for the purpose of hunting (mainly white tail deer) and was wondering how many others use it for that very same purpose. I did have some questions that I was hoping you guys could help me with.

Unfortunately for my wallet (100 rounds -$85 instead of 440 rounds-$95) my state (MD) requires that I use soft point ammo. I know that the old Military surplus ammo is corrosive and I still plan on cleaning my gun after it is fired but are there some non corrosive soft point ammunition out there? Is PPU a good ammo maker?

Im sure I'll think of some more and be back to pick some more skulls :wink:
racerguy00

Re: New Guy Question

Post by racerguy00 »

I've used PPU and Winchester soft point ammo for hunting with a mosin. Both worked fine for me.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

I like all the PPU ammo that I've tried in several different cal. Also really nice brass to use for reloading later on so save it all...
Dianoga

Post by Dianoga »

Thanks for the information guys, I really appreciate it.

Just thought of another question as well. When it comes to cosmoline removal in winter what would you recommend? I would prefer the heat method as opposed to using a harsh cleaner to try to get it out. Would using a hair dryer work? Don't think my wife will allow me to try to bake it out using the oven (have a 1 month old daughter and don't want any fumes). Any other tricks I could use?
dmoore714

Post by dmoore714 »

Followup question... I know a few people who insist on hunting with leadfree ammo. I think it is (or was) required in some states. Does anyone make leadfree rounds in 762x54r?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Just wipe your stock clean with a rag. As to lead free ammo. I would say no. In 7.62x54r I would say that that would be a roll your own deal.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
joelvca

Post by joelvca »

For roll your own lead-free hunting ammo, I think our options are limited to Barnes TSX bullets: .310" 123gr and .311" 150gr. If anyone knows of other options, I'd like to know, although I don't need them yet.

Regards,
Joel
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Don't fire your gun until it is dassembled and ALL cosmoline removed from chamber, bolt, bolt lugs, and barrel. If you shoot it with cosmo in it it will make sticky glue inside that's a bitch to get out.
Then your gun won't function.....You've been warned........Wolf ammo is great, fired 700-800 without failure......SBP......61 Mosins and looking.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

In the winter? Do it inside :D Lots of towels and keep rubbing until no more brown comes off on the towel. On the inside of the stock I use a nylon pic to scrape big gobs up until I can't get any more then turn back to the towels. I wouldn't use a heat source on the stock - may damage it. Towels work fine. I don't have to tell you not to use mama's towels right?
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Towels, towels, towels! PPU is great even the soft points. If you want lead free Remington used to make 54R however they have thus since discontinued it. Fortunately it really didn't catch on so you can still find some dusty boxes at the smaller shops. I don't hunt deer anymore so I can't weigh in on the acceptability of the 91/30 for white tail, but they work just fine on hogs so I have a feeling you'll be just fine. I would however recommend time at the range until you get your particular rifles idiosyncrasies down. Oh and the crud your getting out with towels ain't cosmoline you will see that reiterated in multiple threads in the forums. It's more like axel grease. Good luck and be warned the addiction begins with the first rifle.
As they say the pen is mightier than the sword...however that also means the pen is far more dangerous than the sword. The sword can take your life or your limb but can not take your freedom, the pen can. A wary patriot watches the pen as it can steal his freedom. The wary patriot knows he can use the pen to take power from those who wish to use the pen for evil, but keeps his rifle close by his side "just in case"!
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Soon, your first Mosin will be a distant memory.

Just ask those who have more than 50.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

50? That is heaven!