New Acquisition Bulgarian Makarov - Should be C&R But Isn't

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Capybara

New Acquisition Bulgarian Makarov - Should be C&R But Isn't

Post by Capybara »

This is my latest acquisition, a very nice 1990 Circle 10 Bulgarian Makarov. I cannot figure out why the Russian Military and the E. German Maks are the only ones that the ATF considers C&R, these should be as well. I find the whole satellite Soviet territory thing to be just as compelling from the Bulgarian POV as from the East German POV but from what I hear, very little chance of anything new being added to the ATFs list under the current administration. So in my mind, this is definitely a C&R gun, it's just that the ATF doesn't concur.

Anyway, bought this in December on the day after Christmas from a very nice Calgunner, picked it up out of jail on January 1st so this is literally a New Year gun. It came with two mags, a rubber grip that is ugly but has the thumb shelf and the original leather holster. Other than a little holster wear, the bore is immaculate and overall the pistol is in great shape. Looking forward to putting some rounds downrange with it. I have the P64 and the CZ82 also but out of all three, this one is the best looking and balances the best IMHO. It will be interesting to shoot all three in a row to see what shoots best. I really enjoy shooting the P64 and the CZ82 so it will be interesting to see how this feels in comparison.

I always wanted a Makarov and a Tokarev, now I have both. On to the next boxes on the C&R handgun list.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New Acquisition Bulgarian Makarov - Should be C&R But Is

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice, maybe it has something to do when the pistols were produced? Or maybe BATFE just flipped a coin.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I bought one of these in the 90's and I'm sorry I ever sold it. Great pistol! I have three Russian commercial Makarovs (IJ-70s); two in 9x18 and one in .380 ACP. Your pistol is a true Cold War milsurp. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Nice, maybe it has something to do when the pistols were produced? Or maybe BATFE just flipped a coin.
Not sure, but my CZ82 is from 1990 also and it is C&R. For some reason, the ATF only deemed the Russian Milsurp and E German as worthy of the C&R moniker. It matters to me because when I travel out of state, dealers can only sell me what is on the C&R list. I ran into a shop in Lake Havasu last year that had a "like new" one of these that I was all hot to buy, but then we looked up the Makarovs in the ATF guide and lo and behold, the Bulgarian wasn't listed. So I had to pass, he couldn't sell it to me. I bought this one locally and had to go through California's pointless 10 day wait to take delivery. We just won a ruling here that defeated the 10 day wait, but of course our anti-gun AG has to appeal it and drag it out for months before it can be implemented. But sometime this year, if you live in California and are a certain class, namely hold a CCW, an FFL03 or already own firearms, you will be able to take home your new gun as soon as you pass the BG check. Which in a free state would be 20 minutes but we are convinced they will still find a way to drag it out into multiple days because California likes to torture and punish those of us bold enough to own guns. Enough of my ranting, glad to have my "new to me" Makarov.
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Esoteric question for Mak owners. This one came with a set of black rubber grips with a thumb shelf and the stock grips you see in the picture above. Removing the black rubber grips to mount the red stock ones, the retaining screw (slotted screw) seemed to fit the rubber grips perfectly. But when I use the same screw to try to affix the red grips above, the screw that was used with the black grips doesn't seem quite long enough, no matter how hard I press with the screwdriver, the threads never make it to the frame.

Anyone know the size/length and thread pitch I should be looking for to affix the stock red grips above for when I go to the hardware store?
Mosinhope

Post by Mosinhope »

I believe the reason East German and Russian Maks are C&R is because of the convoluted thinking of the ATF that East Germany and USSR are no longer countries, but former countries. The Russia of today is not your father's USSR. Bulgaria is still Bulgaria with the same borders. Go figure!
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

With some research, discovered that the original grip screw isn't something you are going to find at the hardware store. Tapered .315 with a weird head. Luckily all of the parts houses have them and Liberty Tree Collectors too. https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=52
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

1990 Bulgarian Makarov Range Report
I had an interesting morning shooting the Makarov for the first time. I was up at the Glass Factory above Santa Barbara, Ca. at sunrise. I brought my graduated AR500 gong set, two of the Rubber Do All Impact Self Healing Targets, a ball and a square and my normal wood and steel target stands to shoot at some paper targets.

Ammo Used
50 rounds of steel case Silver Bear 95GR FMJ 9x18 Mak
100 Rounds of RWS Geco Brass 95 GR FMJ 9x18 Mak
50 Rounds of Hornady XTP 95 GR JHP 9x18 Mak

Shooting Impressions
I prefer the stock Bulgarian Red Star grips but the pistol didn't come with the mounting screw for those grips. I ordered the correct mounting screw from Liberty Tree Collectors but it has not yet arrived so I was relegated to using the black rubber grips with the thumb shelf that the previous owner had installed.

Operational Details
Overall, the trigger felt pretty smooth with little stacking, grit and only a bit of take up before engaging. The included Makarov magazines hold eight rounds of 9x18 Makarov and I kind of liked the open sides on the magazine. That feature reminds me of my Ruger SR22 magazines. I find that the round count holes on my of my pistol magazines just don't seem to be that accurate so it is refreshing to have a magazine that when you zone out while loading and forget how many rounds you have loaded, you can just look at the loaded rounds through the side of the magazine to get a count. While the Euro style heel release is definitely not my favorite, it is serviceable, although I still find myself looking for the magazine release button near the trigger guard. I trend to shoot a lot of guns per range visit because I am a C&R guy and I like the variety. When I am shooting alone, I often bring five or six guns and when I go with the few friends, I often bring ten or twelve guns. Not the best for my shooting skills, I probably should only bring one or two guns per trip and become better with them, but I like shooting a variety of guns when I am just plinking, it just seems more fun.

How Did It Shoot?
The Makarov seemed to shoot slightly to the left of POA, I tried a variety of grips and stances but no matter what I did, my shots were always landing to the left of the bullseye. Not a big deal. The sights on this pistol, while not great, are usable and I made a few shots at some misc targets like my 3" gong repeatedly at about 75'. I am not a natural or particularly great pistol shot so I was happy with these results.

We Want To See A Target
Please ignore the small holes in the target, those were from my .32 ACP CZ50. This was my best three shot group from 25 yards, about a 2.75" spread. Not too bad, as I said, I am not a great pistol shot, but I continue to practice and improve slowly. I am not showing some of my much worse targets where I have groups sprayed all over the target at even 7 yards. It's too humiliating :43: So based upon my results, I would say that I need a lot more pistol skills and practice but the Bulgarian Makarov is more than up to the job.

Recoil was light with all three types of ammo used and the pistol fed all 200 rounds perfectly, including the Hornady XTP JHP with not a single failure. I am interested in getting a chronograph out with this gun and I will be running some tests with ballistics gel too. I look forward to putting more rounds downrange with this pistol. So far, it is definitely a keeper. For $300.00, I think I did well.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

:thumbsup: Yes, you did well. 300 is about the going rate for these. Only way you could have done better is to find a Russian military and those are few and far between. :thumbsup:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The main reason for firearms not being classified as C&R is they can not be dated accurately. This is why the Chinese Norincos are not C&R.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Longcolt44 wrote:The main reason for firearms not being classified as C&R is they can not be dated accurately.
So you are asserting that the date codes on the Internet like this http://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/re ... d=29179027 and this http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html? ... 6&t=146113 are all bogus? They do seem like folklore that has been passed down, I have yet to find anything official looking out there that supports or opposes these date codes.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Capybara wrote:
Longcolt44 wrote:The main reason for firearms not being classified as C&R is they can not be dated accurately.
So you are asserting that the date codes on the Internet like this http://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/re ... d=29179027 and this http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html? ... 6&t=146113 are all bogus? They do seem like folklore that has been passed down, I have yet to find anything official looking out there that supports or opposes these date codes.

Bogus or not the BATFE is the ruling entity.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

For something to be a C&R it has to be 50+ years old or granted an exception by the BATF. The BATF usually only grants and exception when a curator from a recognized museum sends in a letter explaining why that particular firearm or line of firearms are unusual. This is how the CZ82 became C&R, it is one of the few issue pistols with a polygon barrel. The other problem with Bulgarian Maks is production didn't start until 1970. In another decade some will reach C&R status.