Suomi KP/31 Range Report

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Genetically Swiss

Suomi KP/31 Range Report

Post by Genetically Swiss »

Well, I am back from a successful day at the range with my new to me Suomi KP/31 semi-automatic. Below are the particulars.

Rattlesnake Range, Richland, Washington
28 degrees
95% humidity
Elevation ~ 400'

Prior to shooting I did apply CLP to the bolt and bolt area as it was dry. Ammunition used was Fiocchi 115 grain ball. I fired one stick magazine of 36 rounds at 25 yards. The gun and magazine worked flawlessly. Accuracy was very acceptable, albeit about 2 1/2" right.

Following the 36 rounds at 25 yards, I fired using the drum at 50 yards, although not with as much concentration. It was more of a function test for the drum than anything else. There were two double feed malfunctions very near to each other about halfway thriugh the drum. Shot were spread out, but tending right, consistent with the 25 yard string.

I will drift the front sight a bit, some have stated that due to the parkerizing of these TNW manufactured KP/31's they are almost impossible to drift the front sight. If I cannot, I have access to excellent gunsmiths who can assist. I must say, the trigger is rather heavy, but not unmanageable. It was a subgun, not a sniper, after all. All in all, an excellent day at the range. I am very, very pleased with my new purchase. :thumbsup:

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
john_the_plinker

Re: Suomi KP/31 Range Report

Post by john_the_plinker »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Very good! These are surprisingly accurate.
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Was hoping that you weren't going to have to drift that front sight. Hopefully your gunsmith will be able to get it to budge without any problems. Also, you might want to try feeding your Suomi some steel cased 9mm. Walmart carries the Tulammo 9mm steel cased rounds at about $11 for a box of 50. The brass tends to swell when shot from the Suomi & can case problems like the one you experienced. When Centerfire originally sold these they did so with a note in their catalog to only run steel cased ammo through them. I've got a later build in the 6K serial # range & I've had zero issues with steel or brass case though. On another note, I've read in several places that you shouldn't lubricate the inside of the tube and it should be run bone dry. Here is some info: http://guns.connect.fi/gow/suomi1.html
mitch5690

Post by mitch5690 »

I recently got one.of these myself, love it, is your trigger pull.way.to.harsh also?
Genetically Swiss

mitch5690 wrote:I recently got one.of these myself, love it, is your trigger pull.way.to.harsh also?

It takes a man to pull the trigger on these babies. :vcool:

GS

-Lebed-
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Genetically Swiss wrote:
mitch5690 wrote:I recently got one.of these myself, love it, is your trigger pull.way.to.harsh also?

It takes a man to pull the trigger on these babies. :vcool:

GS
I have nerve damage and have trouble with heavy triggers and when it felt heavy to me I figured it was just me. I have had M91's which were so heavy before I worked on them a bit I had to use two hands or two fingers to shoot them the first time out! Did you get any of that black crap I mentioned? My buddy Ed told me he gets none at all. Wonder why I do? Ammo maybe? Told you it was accurate! I was totally shocked how accurate it was! Thank You for not mentioning the light recoil! :lol: Enjoy it while we have cheaper ammo for awhile now! Bill
Genetically Swiss

No black stuff.

GS

-Lebed-
Adam_9130

Post by Adam_9130 »

Nice shooting!!! I've been to that rattlesnake range before, it's a pretty nice range!!
Genetically Swiss

Adam_9130 wrote:Nice shooting!!! I've been to that rattlesnake range before, it's a pretty nice range!!

Yes it is, one of, if not the best in the State.

https://www.tcsa.info/index.php

GS

-Lebed-
gurn

Post by gurn »

You are a lot tougher than I. I hate shooting when it gets cold. Congrats on a cool gun. Keep your eye out for a 50 rnd. coffin mag. They are hard to find now and expensive but work well. Mine has a nice trigger pull but pulling that bolt back about separates the joint in my finger :beek:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Genetically Swiss

gurn wrote:You are a lot tougher than I. I hate shooting when it gets cold. Congrats on a cool gun. Keep your eye out for a 50 rnd. coffin mag. They are hard to find now and expensive but work well.
Thanks, but there is a fine line between tough and stupid. :bwink: Besides, it's a Finnish gun, cold should not bother it. And me? Let's just say I'm well marbled. :biggrin:

GS

-Lebed-
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

gurn wrote:You are a lot tougher than I. I hate shooting when it gets cold. Congrats on a cool gun. Keep your eye out for a 50 rnd. coffin mag. They are hard to find now and expensive but work well. Mine has a nice trigger pull but pulling that bolt back about separates the joint in my finger :beek:
That bolt pull is something, I'm amazed even the cheapie 9mm will cycle it problem free. The trigger on mine is not bad when compared to some other rifles I've shot.

And, a coffin magazine, :Drool1: I'd love to find one.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
gurn

Post by gurn »

Then this is what you need to keep your eye out for. You never know when you will run across one at a show or gun shop. Last pic is it with the loader.ImageImageImage
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!