m44

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
fintowin

m44

Post by fintowin »

Picked up a few more Mosins today at a show. I really didn't need another m44, but this one was so clean and new looking I figured I should grab it. Its a 1945 that appears to be non refurbed. The serials are all the same font. Bluing on the barrel is purple or plum like a Finn. The wood is not the typical arctic birch. At first I thought it was sanded, but there are a couple of small cartouches that are crisp, and the finger grooves are plenty sharp and deep. It looks like it was made this year, not 70 years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
fintowin

Re: m44

Post by fintowin »

couple more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

The butt plate is definitely not the same font. Look at the second cryllic letter and the 3.
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

You are right. It is different. I would say I cant believe I didn't see it, but my eyes are not getting any better. So that stock was probably put on later, but the magazine looks original.
-George Washington
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I would say the font on the butt plate looks much like the font on the bolt. This may be force matched, but that is still a correct rifle. I love it and there is no way I would have passed it up, funds permitting. Congrats buddy :P
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

The stocks finish is weird. Looks like a finish bubba would do, not a shellac like a refurb.

The bolts font is also different, look at the A.
Kollaa kestää
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Lee-online wrote:The stocks finish is weird. Looks like a finish bubba would do, not a shellac like a refurb.

The bolts font is also different, look at the A.
Yes, I see the different A now in the magnified photo. The finish is not bubba, though it looks a little like it in the pic. It looks similar to a pristine Romanian I have.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... =+romanian
-George Washington
bimmey

Post by bimmey »

Nice! I don't think I would pass that one up either.
Don't shoot that antique rifle! You could put an eye out!!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Take a look at the first picture you posted. Look closely at the crossbolt, or rather the lack of finish on the wood in the crossbolt channel. That's very likely a post-war stock that didn't get a liberal shellacing at the arsenal but instead a light finish. There is no finish on that channel & probably never was. Virgin wood in there.... I have a 46 Izhevsk M44 that has the same style finish... Just that mine has flaked & chipped off in a few places over time.

A nice find. :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
one finger john

Post by one finger john »

Really nice grain pattern. I'm jealous. Good find.

John
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yep, a mighty nice find. I could just about get jealous a little bit.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That one is just plain purdy! Congratulations on your good taste and sound judgement.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
husker51

Post by husker51 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953