Mosin Nagant Type 53 range day

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Adam_9130

Mosin Nagant Type 53 range day

Post by Adam_9130 »

At 100 yards it looks like I was able to get about 2 inch groups (at best) with my 1955 chinese type 53.Overall it was a pretty good day for me!! :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redspoon

Re: Mosin Nagant Type 53 range day

Post by redspoon »

Looks like some good shooting Adam :thumbsup: You got a cleaning rod with yours, like most mine didn't come with one.
Adam_9130

Post by Adam_9130 »

redspoon wrote:Looks like some good shooting Adam :thumbsup: You got a cleaning rod with yours, like most mine didn't come with one.

Actually I ended up buying the cleaning rod, I needed one to clean the bore after shooting corrosive ammo, and this was the cheapest option!!
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Adam_9130 wrote:
redspoon wrote:Looks like some good shooting Adam :thumbsup: You got a cleaning rod with yours, like most mine didn't come with one.

Actually I ended up buying the cleaning rod, I needed one to clean the bore after shooting corrosive ammo, and this was the cheapest option!!
Get you a cheap cleaning kit with the aluminum rods so you don't run that steel down the barrel. Few bucks at Wally World will save your barrels some wear and tear. :wink:
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

looks dang good to me!!
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Very good shooting! Good looking t53 as well!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Adam_9130

Post by Adam_9130 »

Thanks everyone!!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Good shooting Adam. He is giving some great advice. If you can spring for a 1-piece cleaning rod from Tipton in a 40" then you can remove the bolt and clean from the chamber end and save wear and tear to your muzzle. Cleaning rods on these Mosins should be considered for show only. They run about 35.00 to 40.00 and made from carbon fiber. Worth every penny
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

bunkysdad wrote:Good shooting Adam. He is giving some great advice. If you can spring for a 1-piece cleaning rod from Tipton in a 40" then you can remove the bolt and clean from the chamber end and save wear and tear to your muzzle. Cleaning rods on these Mosins should be considered for show only. They run about 35.00 to 40.00 and made from carbon fiber. Worth every penny
:pointup:

The best choice for a cleaning rod. Those steel issued rods are the reason for many of the counterbores on Mosins. Your doing the rifle a disservice by using it. Next is the multi-piece cleaning rods you get in a starter kit. They are better but the connections between pieces can collect debris, develop burrs & can prove to be a detriment to your bore as well. Plus they kinda suck when they work themselves loose inside the bore... Not fun.

No, a good 1-piece Tipton or similar cleaning rod is your best choice. Invest in some jags & a good Gunsmith screwdriver set while your at it too. But start with that cleaning rod. :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Oh, yes... And very good shooting with your Type 53! Can't ask for better performance out of an old warhorse. :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

Nice shooting--bet you were rattlin the ground wasnt you!! :D
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

My 53 shoots quite well also. I cannot shoot 2" at 100 yds with it but that is more me than the rifle. Funny that a rifle which was looked down on when they were first imported would turn out to be so well made. They are kinda like Arisakas in that respect. I had a Type 53 on my table at a flea market last summer and a man stopped and just stared at the carbine. I asked if he wanted to handle it and he said, "No, I handled enough of them in 64 and 65. Some people put these rifles down but anyone that does has never been shot at by one." Then he walked away. I remembered my Dad saying something almost identical about the Arisaka.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

A Vietnam vet that had these rounds hitting around him would surely never forget it. Seeing his buddy hit by one would be far worse.
Adam_9130

Post by Adam_9130 »

I'm pretty happy with the rifle. It was a good purchase for $110!!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yeah that sounds like a good deal alright.