Have a great Labor Day

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Have a great Labor Day

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Have a great Labor Day holiday everyone, I know I have been laboring all summer for this and I intend to enjoy the long weekend. I am hitting two flea markets on Sunday morning, last spring one of them turned up a couple of guns for me, so we will see.

Remember, have a great time, but whatever happens, don't name it after me :lol:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Re: Have a great Labor Day

Post by SA1911a1 »

Good luck on your Tour-De-Gun. I hope you find a perfect '41 Tula hex M-1944, Finn capture for $40.00. :D
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Yes, everyone have a great Labor Day. Stay safe.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

So far so good, we grilled for dinner last night and tonight. Then made Margaritas for everyone but me (I don't drink alcohol) and tomorrow I plan to do some chicken and maybe steak. We are getting dome thunder dunkers right now but nothing too big. Hopefully tomorrow I'll make a range run and do some shooting.
Hope everyone has as good a week-end as me or better if possible.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I checked out several nice rifles today, and am trying to decide what to do about it. Top of the list is a No5 Jungle Carbine, great metal, but stock is refinished. also a M1893 Mauser (Turk K Kale 1939), then a Spanish Mauser in 308. Several cool old 22's etc....... Anyway, hope you all have a great holiday too, I know I will even though I have to work Monday.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

If you are going to spend money on a Jungle 5 I would suggest you get one in original condition, unless it is very cheap.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Noble Sniper

Post by Noble Sniper »

Hello all, this is the first Labor Day in years that has really meant something to me. I have been layed off the last three weeks (thank GOD) after being away from home and living in motels and a cabin for 11 and a 1/2 months while working on a new power plant being built. This is the longest I have lived in my new house with my family i MOVED INTO JUST DAYS BEFORE I WENT TO WORK. Much transpired while I was gone. My kids growing up and my gundogs family growing. Seven years in the making my Rufus and my Belle finally had pups................... 12 of the little guys and gals and they all lived and are tuff as hell. I leave home again monday afternoon to go to a refinery again for awhile but its all about knowing I can finally give my family the life they deserve. I just know that eventually there is a HD dyna wideglide in my future to expand my freedom a bit more ;) To all of us that work and sweat and toil for a living.................. ,y hats off to you brothers :D And of course MAGNUM POINT GUNDOGS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
•"Was there ever a people whose leaders were as truly their enemies as this one?"
- Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

"....from my cold dead hands:
President Charleton Heston

"Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !! "
Dr. Strangelove
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Have a great Labor Day weekend everyone. 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
klibben

Post by klibben »

I spent all day today exploring the former Ohio State Reformatory (the prison from Shawshank Redemption, as well as the russian prison from Air Force One, etc). It's a magnificent structure, still as solid as the day it was built in 1886...prisons need to be more like that and less like a dormitory these days.

Tomorrow I'm going to the Cleveland Indians game, and specially selected my seats so that I'll have a perfect view of the Cleveland Air Show if I look straight across the the stadium. Weather looks good too, for now, although the past 24 hours have been wet and stormy. Probably end the day with a cookout.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (ca 390 AD)
Noble Sniper

Post by Noble Sniper »

Hey Klibben, you live anywhere near Lima. I leave tomorrow to start work at the refineries there for a month. Staying in Wapokoneta ;)
•"Was there ever a people whose leaders were as truly their enemies as this one?"

Dr. Strangelove
klibben

Post by klibben »

I'm 2 hours east of there, just drove through last weekend!

How long you in the area?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I heard about that place Kenny, no way you get me near that joint!
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
smacneighill

Post by smacneighill »

You have an enjoyable holiday as well Jim. Oh yeah, I have some more ghost stories for ya . . ;)
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." ~ Thomas Payne
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You live near that prison, you know the one, the one they sent the Ghost Hunters into! I forgot who lived near there, and it's been driving me nuts all night. Klibben was there yesterday on a tour. Look forward to the storys, it's near that time of year again, nothing much happening here, not that I noticed anyway.
Theodore Roosevelt
klibben

Post by klibben »

You say someone else lives near there? I'm only 20 miles downwind from it.

Jim, it's a great place and not scary during the day. Absolutely beautiful architecture. Lets see, I hiked probably 4 miles up and down in that place, met some former inmates, saw different places where people died, went in the room that gets the most activity on the ghost whatever technology (supposedly one lady went in there and screamed and ran out and was covered in scratches... when they went in there was nothing in there (only room in the building with no windows), I got locked up in the hole, saw the sewage tunnel Andy Dufrene crawled through, explored the world's largest free-standing steel cellblock, and even stumped all the volunteers there! There used to be a big metal cage in the middle of the central guard room... but it wasn't there, so I started inquiring. Thing was, I remember seeing it about 8 years ago when I was last in that room, but absolutely no one knew what happened to it, why it was moved, and most of them didn't even know what I was talking about. Weird, it's obvious they must have taken it out to make a reception hall (they put glass walls in that room so you can have wedding receptions, etc. in there and still see down the cell blocks... guess that big piece of history was in the way of their profit?

Here is the site, with some ghost stories, pricing, and photos.
http://www.mrps.org/
Noble Sniper

Post by Noble Sniper »

klibben wrote:I'm 2 hours east of there, just drove through last weekend!

How long you in the area?
About a month, just a short shutdown ;)

Dr. Strangelove
klibben

Post by klibben »

That's a shame, if you were still around when the crops came down I'd invite you over to feed my mosins!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

"THE HAUNTED PRISON EXPERIENCE NEVER SELLS OUT!!

THIS IS NOT THE OVERNIGHT GHOST HUNT. THE HAUNTED PRISON EXPERIENCE IS A "HAUNTED HOUSE" STYLE TOUR, COMPLETE WITH ACTORS, ANIMATRONICS AND PROPS, DESIGNED TO INTENTIONALLY SCARE OUR GUESTS."

Yea, I just bet it don't sell out, not after seeing that ghost hunters episode! Not a good idea, I see two things happening, I am in there all wired up and some fool jumps out to scare me, I either shoot that person in the head, or keel over with a heart attack dead. Fortunately it's too far off for me to casually visit, we have our own sort of place like that, not open to the public,- http://www.hauntedhudsonvalley.net/harl ... ic-center/
The dam place gives me the willies, and I have to pass right through it every time I visit friends up north of here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecBx_KbDSJQ
Theodore Roosevelt
smacneighill

Post by smacneighill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:You live near that prison, you know the one, the one they sent the Ghost Hunters into! I forgot who lived near there, and it's been driving me nuts all night. Klibben was there yesterday on a tour. Look forward to the storys, it's near that time of year again, nothing much happening here, not that I noticed anyway.
I literally live a stones throw away from Waverly Hills (yes, you can throw a stone from my house and hit it . . its in my backyard :D ). Most of the homes in and around where I live are teeming with activity. You can hear people walking through our home day or night. Things constantly seem to "fall" (nothing has been broken yet though). And these things are squarely placed on level surfaces, and away from edges. Lately, whoever they are, are now they're calling our names out. We've had quite a few sleepless nights.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." ~ Thomas Payne
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Dang guys. I had to work today. Did a oil change. Installed a headlight bulb. Installed a door speaker. And diagnosed a broken power window regulator. Not a bad day though because I reached Kari's wife Gail and had a nice short chat. She is the most lovely person, and could sure use our prayers. She is happy to hear about our memorial. I'll post more in the appropriate section.