91/30 deer hunting

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
rlfd27

91/30 deer hunting

Post by rlfd27 »

I am new to the forum and have only had my 91/30 for a few months. I've put probably 25 rounds through it, all at close range, less than 30 yards. I haven't had the chance to go much further.

I normally deer hunt with a shotgun, but centerfire rifles are now legal anywhere in Wisconsin. The woods I will be hunting in will only provide a shot out to a maximum of 50 yards or so.

What kind of performance can I expect using Brown Bear 203gr soft point ammo?

Thanks for any help.

Larry
MeatMarket

Re: 91/30 deer hunting

Post by MeatMarket »

You can probably expect a dead deer. I use Sellier & Bellott 180 grain softpoint when hunting with mine. Just never use FMJ when hunting. I'm sure you knew that thought. Good luck hunting.
I believe in the right to arm bears.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

The Brown Bear 203s work great. Some of my mosins like them better than others though. If you group well with them you can rest assured they will do their part if you do yours.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

If you know someone who reloads and has 7.62x54R dies, your "options" increase dramatically. The "Brown Bear" do shoot well as do the S&B. CHECK YOUR GAME LAWS, before using any MilSup ammo. FMJ ammo is usually verboten! :biggrin: Bet your gonna be HIGH and right at 50 yards....... :biggrin: :biggrin: Best of all, have fun and be safe. Good Luck!
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

TopperT wrote:CHECK YOUR GAME LAWS, before using any MilSup ammo. FMJ ammo is usually verboten!
Even if FMJ is legal to hunt with in your area it is still wise not to use it. It is the least lethal projectile type and you run a higher risk of merely injuring the deer. I did that once when I was a teen and didn't know not to. I likely missed the vitals and the doe dropped in place and lay there for a full minute before jumping up and running off after I hit her. There was no blood trail whatsoever and I never found her. If she did eventually bleed out she got far enough away without leaving a trail. I'll never use FMJ when hunting.
I believe in the right to arm bears.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

FMJ is not legal in Wisconsin. Get some Soft points & practice to discern where your hitting at 50 yards or so.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Oh yes... And Welcome to the Forum. :alien:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
rlfd27

Post by rlfd27 »

Indeed, FMJ is a no-no.

I'm not so concerned about accuracy. I've got that figured out. I'm just wondering if the deer is likely to fall where it stands or run. I've heard stories from tracking it for 100 yards to falling over stone dead with an exit wound the size of your fist. As always, shot placement is most important.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

You can never tell if a deer will run or not. I've see a video of one running 50 yards after a hit to the chest with a .50 bmg hunting round.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
B24

Post by B24 »

rlfd27 wrote:Indeed, FMJ is a no-no.

I'm not so concerned about accuracy. I've got that figured out. I'm just wondering if the deer is likely to fall where it stands or run. I've heard stories from tracking it for 100 yards to falling over stone dead with an exit wound the size of your fist. As always, shot placement is most important.
From my experience it depends on where you place the bullet. All of my deer have been dropped with a Marlin 336 lever gun chambered in .35 Rem. Some in their tracks but none have run more than a 100 yards. A lung shot is lethal but they will run before they fall. I haven't hunted with any of my Mosins but I did buy some Brown Bear 203 in case I decide to.
fawnsworth

Post by fawnsworth »

Use Privi Partizan 150 grain soft point. It's about 13 bucks a box and hits almost exactly where your surplus ammo hits. Set your rear sights at 200 and sight it in at 25 yards. It will be close at 200. You also get the brass casing to reload.
Genetically Swiss

Post by Genetically Swiss »

7.62x54R when bullet placement is correct, will kill deer just as dead as a .308 or .30-06.

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
target

Post by target »

My most effective shot on a deer was with a 100 grain .243 at 120 yards. Put it right in the boiler room and he dropped before he know what was going on. Then I've had deer deer run 50+ yards when I've nailed them with 130 grain with a shot taken withing 100 yards. Have also had them run after taking a 150 grain 30-06 at 70 yards. Then using 7.62x54R 203 grain I tracked a deer in a huge circle for 30+ minutes only to need another shot to put him down for good. Bullets do weird things to deer. They are tough animals and we have harvested more than a few with year old bullet and broadhead wounds where both were recovered from the animals.

As long as you put the bullet in the right spot you could be using a 62 grain .223 and fill a tag just as easily as any other round.

Now days I use my M1903 with a 150 grain Remington Core-Lokt. Seems to work just fine.
Tcmosin

Post by Tcmosin »

I was thinking of using one of my Mosin's just for fun next weekend. I was lucky enough to already bagged a doe Sunday. So now I have to step up to a 3 point(on one side) or better due to the antler restriction. I'v got some hollow points and soft point reloads for the Mosins, both should do just find. The doe I shot was with my 30-06, 165 gr corelok, good lung shot clean through both ribs quarter size holes. First deer I've taken with the 30-06, surprised at the damage to the lungs, sure isn't like the 30-30 I used for years. So I really don't think it would matter much what you used in a Mosin, a clean shot should do the trick.
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
George Washington