What size bullets to start out with for Mosin?

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Mosin-Marauder

What size bullets to start out with for Mosin?

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

I was thinking .308 just to get started as I already have some of those, then moving up to .310-.311 if I see fit? I'd be starting out with 150 Grain SPFB as I already use these for my k-31. And then maybe try some heavier ones like 174's or 168's? Which grainage would be best for 150 yards max? I've gotten 2" groups with 180 grain winchesters so if the 150s don't work out, I'll step it up. Thanks for your help!
Lotema

Re: What size bullets to start out with for Mosin?

Post by Lotema »

Have you slugged your barrel yet? That should give a reasonable starting point. I've just recently started reloading for 7.62x54R myself and have been going through different bullets trying to find what works best in some of my rifles. Been focusing on my PU @ 100 yards first. My PU slugs at .3105. It seems to like the Sierra .311 174gr MatchKings best so far at a min load of IMR-4895 (only powder I've tried so far). That got me a .760" 5 shot group @ 100 this past weekend.

I also tried Sierra .308 150gr Spitzer soft points as well as the .308 165 gr HPBT's. The 150's gave me 2.5 - 3" groups and the 165's gave about 2" groups. Decent enough that I might spend some more time working the powder loads for those. Didn't have any keyholing, shot just fine. The groups with the 150gr .308 were just about an inch larger than similar 150gr .311's, which shot about 1.5-2".
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

I've been hesitant to slug my bore for fear of screwing up the crown or getting it stuck in the barrel. I don't even really know what I need/ how to do it.
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

I was a bit hesitant to do it as well. If somebody is gonna screw it up, it would be me. I followed the directions here: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm and yeah in hind sight, so totally simple I don't know why I was worried about it in the first place.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

I thought a board member made a video on this. Turns out it was Iraqveteran8888. I've never done this myself. But it looks like it would work.
http://youtu.be/ErFaJlUVs1Y

Please warn members if this method is incorrect.
Cat
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

I've never tried to slug a barrel from the muzzle. Not only to you increase the chance of damaging the crown but any crud your slug dislodged goes into the action. Slugging from the chamber end and you nave a series of progressive tapers, chamber to throat to bore,
dknoffsinger

Post by dknoffsinger »

50 yd MN target.jpg
I have found that the best accuracy in my Nagants comes from cast bullets sized .312"
The two bullets are cast from Lyman # 311359 (115 gr ptd gc) and Lyman # 414299 (200 gr rn-gc) loaded with Hodgdon Longshot.
The best grouping coming from the 200 grainers. 10 shots left of bullseye.
The five shots below that are with the 115 grainers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Devin K Noffsinger
DKN Gunsmithing
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That group is nice. What kind of rest are you using?
dknoffsinger

Post by dknoffsinger »

Harris 6" - 9" bipod.
Devin K Noffsinger
DKN Gunsmithing
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

That is some shooting. Great Group! :thumbsup:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

JIMPARKS

Post by JIMPARKS »

1934 Tula Hex 91/30 really likes 52.5 grains of IMR 4350 behind a 168 grain Sierra Boat Tail Hollow Point in .308. 1/2" to 3/4" groups pretty consistently. Have never been able to get better than 2. 1/2" groups with the 147 grain surplus.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Sounds like another for Sierra. 308 boat tails. I have some I think. I just might have to try that. I did just load some. 309 cast bullets to try in my M39 and m28. Now I need to get to the range.
FineRedMist

Post by FineRedMist »

I just slugged the bore of my 1931 Izhevsk 91/30, and let's just say it's a bit roomier than some of the ones you guys have. The grooves measured .302 in both directions, and the lands measured .314 on one side and .315 on the other. So...do I start with .312 bullets? I think I've found a place that has Hornady 150 grain soft-point .312 in stock.
dknoffsinger

Post by dknoffsinger »

You can try...but you may find that you will have to cast .314" bullets for that one.
Devin K Noffsinger
DKN Gunsmithing