Poor poor baby With UPDATE. New photos.

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Poor poor baby With UPDATE. New photos.

Post by Longcolt44 »

A guy came into the shop today needing money and had a Ruger security Six with a 4" barrel to sell. As a gun to resell at the shop it was not something we were interested in. You will see why in the following pictures. I asked what he wanted and he wanted way to much for a revolver in the shape it is in. I told him I would give him $150.00 and he said fine, let's do it. I told him to meet me at my truck parked a few doors down and we would do the deal. If I did it in the shop we would have to through all the ATF paperwork but at my truck it was a face to face deal, no paperwork and legal in Ohio. The revolver is in bad cosmetic shape but all the mechanics are in very, very good shape. I don't know what was spilled on it but it removed the bluing in places. I can send it back to Ruger and have it refinished but I may or may not. Tight as a new one, good bore and a very nice trigger, even in double action. I am really not a revolver fan but I just couldn't pass this one up. Enjoy but please be kind to her, she knows she's ugly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Poor poor baby

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cover the chambers and entrances into the works and paint it black. This is a work tool, all it needs is basic protection and then it's good under your truck seat, or desk drawer for 50 years. Good price for a solid revolver, they let it surface rust and them cleaned it with steel wool, you can see the scratches in the metal.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Heck yeah, buck fifty all day long. Nice grab :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

That's exactly what I've been looking for lately. A functioning but rough cheap .357 magnum. So I'd say good buy.
AK shooter

Post by AK shooter »

Nice buy! I would blast it and give it a nice rust blue.
finloq

Post by finloq »

As JYD said. A solid self defense piece.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
entropy

Post by entropy »

Lauer makes Dura Cote in a single-use can-no need for separate hardener or heating. I'd get a can of that to refinish it.

Nice grab! 8-) :vcool:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Those Ruger sixes in a 4 in. barrel are really fun to shoot. I saw one at a show almost identical to yours condition wise for $350. The guy actually sold it.

Leave it as, get one of those fake [SA] stamps and put it on GB. Then describe the finish wear as "blood pitting". :biggrin:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
finloq

Poor poor baby

Post by finloq »

fintowin wrote:Those Ruger sixes in a 4 in. barrel are really fun to shoot. I saw one at a show almost identical to yours condition wise for $350. The guy actually sold it.

Leave it as, get one of those fake [SA] stamps and put it on GB. Then describe the finish wear as "blood pitting". :biggrin:
Hell! Have somebody sign a statement that says: this is the gun that killed Napolean.

The 'e' is for integrity.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I spoke with Ruger today and for $110.00 they will recondition this ole girl to like she was before somebody tried to kill her. Prep it and re stamp, and blue it real shiny.
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

$260 ain't bad. What's the retail in like new shape, or how much could you get?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
finloq

Poor poor baby

Post by finloq »

"Just because you ARE a character, doesn't mean that you HAVE character."
Do you want a shiny piece in your collection that (even though it will be a refurb) you won't want to scratch? Or do you want a working .357 that isn't pretty but does its job?

Their not extremely collectible now, but may be in another 20-30.
Sometimes it's nice to have a pretty gun in your safe, sometimes it's nice to have a beater that's reliable.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

For 110.00 I would send it in. I have seen their refinish work and it is nice. I would not need a beater just to shoot it. I can shoot a nice one all day long and still,keep it looking good.
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

For $110, I would send that puppy back and get it looking good! Then put proper wear marks of your own on it. On a modern gun, holster wear and wear from proper use look sexy to me on a properly maintained gun. Abuse just looks like well, crap. $110 would be a no brainier for me.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Brake Weight wrote:$260 ain't bad. What's the retail in like new shape, or how much could you get?
I have never bought a firearm with the intent of selling it or how much I could get for it. That is a job for my sons and grandkids. I am going to get it done by Ruger. I just want to put a new dress on her before we go to the dance.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I'm of the camp of leave it be... But looking at this one the wear is not an earned one. Some kind of mechanical & chemical means was applied intentionally or inadvertently to get it to look this way. In this instance I would send it in to Ruger.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

Longcolt44 wrote:
I have never bought a firearm with the intent of selling it or how much I could get for it. That is a job for my sons and grandkids. I am going to get it done by Ruger. I just want to put a new dress on her before we go to the dance.
Not saying to sell it. But if one can be bought for less then I'd leave it be. I don't sell anything either. Things usually get given away, get traded, or get junked when I finish with it.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

For $110.00 I'd go for it, then if you ever want to sell it in the future you're sure to get your $$$ out and then some. :thumbsup:
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

A buddy kept a S&W Model 36 in his desk drawer and some contact lens fluid leaked and got all over the cylinder and side that was on the bottom of the drawer. It took the blue off the same way as your Ruger. He had it reblued locally and the guy did a good job but a factory re-furb for $110 is a steal. Personally I think I'd go the dura coat route but anyway you do it you won't go wrong.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

dalek

Post by dalek »

For $110 you get a factory rebuild/rebluing? And you are still thinking? :vconfused:

It is not like this was the gun used to kill the last dodo on Earth or something like that, so no need to preserve its patina.

I wish I could do that to my revolver but it would mean shipping it overseas, and you know what that leads to. :vsad:

Talking about patina, don't you love when Bubba get a Martini-Henry or a C96 and then go crazy with the wire wheel all over it?