1897 Czech 91/38

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Ehtball

1897 Czech 91/38

Post by Ehtball »

I wanted to share some pics of my recent acquisition. Didn't quite know what I had until I got home and did my DD.

Apparently, I bought a Czech 91/38 with a 1897 Izhevsk receiver and barrel. the number on the shank is a 3. The rifling is very, very good--, I'd rate it as excellent- bluing 100%.
The Czechs did their own triggers on these guns and frankly, this one is as good as most mil-specs triggers today.
The stock is done in a M-44 configuration with war-time sling slots. It was produced by the Czechs and made from Elmwood. Aside from a couple of dings she's a real beauty.
There are no import marks on this gun, anywhere.

I'm trying to upload and the file size is too big.
Jeff H.
Last edited by Ehtball on Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racerguy00

Re: 1897 Czech 91/38

Post by racerguy00 »

Can't wait to see it. A member here has been compiling a database of these. Interesting carbines for sure.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, just size the pics down to 640x480 before trying to post them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Thanks for the info ehtball. I'm looking forward to the photos. Please see the info I have gathered on the 91/38 in the sticky at the top of the main collecting page. Please post the serial number or if hesitant like some folks to post the whole number (not me), put an x for the last digit. Or PM or e-mail me. I don't want to post a duplicate.

I just checked my database and I only have one 97 Izhevsk. It is 277170. Is it yours now or do you have a different one?
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Congrats on your 91/38 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I recently picked up one in the elm stock as well. I don't know about the trigger comment though. I really don't think the Czech's did anything different to the mechanicals than the Russians did during the refurb process. If you put aside the fact that they were using any manner of stocks and Imperial rifles, the process appears to have been no different than the other refurbishment processes, i.e., pick a part from the bin and install it. The triggers on mine are the same as other refurbs - some better, some worse - all typical Russian. You probably got one of the really good sear/trigger/bolt combinations.

Be very interested to see the pictures. These elm stocks are a mystery to me. Until I got mine, the only place I had seen them was on Hungarian M-44's. Leads one to believe that they were scurrying around just trying to find stocks for these carbines and it's possible they got some from Hungary.

As JYD says, reduce them to no more than 640x480 and they will upload just fine. You could also use photobucket.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

neal45 wrote:Thanks for the info ehtball. I'm looking forward to the photos. Please see the info I have gathered on the 91/38 in the sticky at the top of the main collecting page. Please post the serial number or if hesitant like some folks to post the whole number (not me), put an x for the last digit. Or PM or e-mail me. I don't want to post a duplicate.

I just checked my database and I only have one 97 Izhevsk. It is 277170. Is it yours now or do you have a different one?
That's mine Neal :)
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Can't wait to see this one!!! :wink: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
finloq

Post by finloq »

No pictures? No carbine. I call: shenanigans.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I want a 91/38 very badly. Congrats and I can'tell wait to see the pictures. Like JYD said, once you resize them to The smaller size 640x480 they will load here. ;mywink;