Got my first Mosin Nagant and glad to be here

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
keiichi

Got my first Mosin Nagant and glad to be here

Post by keiichi »

Bought myself a Mosin Nagant about a month ago and finally got to clean it and take it to the range.

Also glad to be here to learn more and be part of the community.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Got my first Mosin Nagant and glad to be here

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, that's a dark one, but indoor flash tends to kill the red highlights in the shellac. Have fun shooting it, I assume you checked the headspace? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

WELCOME You are at the right place.
carls mosin

Post by carls mosin »

:) hi and welcome. good to have you here. congrats, that is a beauty. :thumbsup:
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Welcome to the madness. Nice rifle.
81turbota

Post by 81turbota »

I really like those older Izhevsk rifles, yours has very crisp markings! That crest is perfect. I have to find it, but I remember reading that hex Izhevsk rifles are rarer than Tulas, it wasn't until the war that Izhevsk started cranking them out.

Both my pre war 91/30's are fantastic shooters, yours should be too!

Welcome :biggrin:
1898 Tula M91 - SA
1929 Tula 91/30 - MO/53
1931 Tula 91/30
1934 Tikka M27
1940 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M38
1944 VKT M39
1944 Izhevsk 91/30 PU sniper
1968 No maker M39

1941 Podolsk SVT40 - SA
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Welcome to the boards and congratulations on your first Mosin. Metal and wood both look really good on that one. So how did you and the rifle do at the range? Were you shooting the surplus or commercial in it?
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Welcome. Very nice first Mosin :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
captkirk222

Post by captkirk222 »

Welcome from one new guy to another. I wish I had an Izhevsk with that clear of a Soviet crest, I've never seen one so clear before.
As long as it is capable of serving its purpose, it will never be obsolete.

Disclaimer- I cannot guarantee that what I type will sound as good in your head as it does in my head.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Don't listen to these guys, they are all trying to butter you up. That 'thing' is a commie sewer pipe POS. It's not worth the money it will cost you to ship to me to dispose of properly. I'll give you $17.82 for it.

:chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:

Seriously that is a very nice rifle. I hope you enjoy it (and the rest of it's cousins that you buy) for many years to come.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

keiichi

Post by keiichi »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Welcome to the board, that's a dark one, but indoor flash tends to kill the red highlights in the shellac. Have fun shooting it, I assume you checked the headspace? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks.
I actually got lazy and just used my phone for the picture taking and no flash was involved. However my lighting source was pretty bad as it was my room lighting that was casting shadows everywhere so I had to position myself to avoid blocking the light....but that just caused the bright reflections you see in the picture.

As for headspace, you guys are probably going to give me heck as I know about the gauges etc., but the condition of the gun was pretty good, I trusted the gun store's appraisal and did some chambering with snap caps etc....but yes, dumb lazy risk..... :facepalm2:
keiichi

Post by keiichi »

Lotema wrote:Welcome to the boards and congratulations on your first Mosin. Metal and wood both look really good on that one. So how did you and the rifle do at the range? Were you shooting the surplus or commercial in it?
The range was good! To my surprise, windage was pretty good, but I was shooting embarrassingly high. Iron sighting at 50M was okay and easy to compensate, but then trying to hit something at 100M was not natural. I ended up placing another target below the one I was aiming for and targeted the lower bullseye to hit the center of the higher target...lol. Other than that, grouping was pretty decent and overall pretty happy with it.

I was shooting surplus, so I've been pretty picky about cleaning it after I'm done.

There's just something about these classic rifles that I can't explain why I have an affinity to.....
AJ333

Post by AJ333 »

Congratulations and welcome to the club! What a beauty.
Be careful, Mosins have a way of multiplying in the gun safe. Sometimes 1 by itself can reproduce, but as soon as there are 2, there seems to be no stopping it. The 91/30 is the gateway Mosin, and it leads to much harder rifles.
Cold Steele

Post by Cold Steele »

Welcome now that you have bought your first one it will be hard to resist getting more. Nice looking rifle!! :vcool:
"You’re never beaten until you admit it."
General George S. Patton Jr.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

I agree. You've started with a very nice rifle.

Welcome! :)
Mike

Post by Mike »

That is a very nice first Mosin!

What is the second one going to be? :chuckles:
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Welcome to the madness.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

keiichi wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Welcome to the board, that's a dark one, but indoor flash tends to kill the red highlights in the shellac. Have fun shooting it, I assume you checked the headspace? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks.
I actually got lazy and just used my phone for the picture taking and no flash was involved. However my lighting source was pretty bad as it was my room lighting that was casting shadows everywhere so I had to position myself to avoid blocking the light....but that just caused the bright reflections you see in the picture.

As for headspace, you guys are probably going to give me heck as I know about the gauges etc., but the condition of the gun was pretty good, I trusted the gun store's appraisal and did some chambering with snap caps etc....but yes, dumb lazy risk..... :facepalm2:
Trust...but verify.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a very nice entry into the Mosin-Nagant business. Congratulations, and welcome!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

I think that you did very well, after my 1st Finn I ordered nothing but Russian Hex receivers from both Arsenals from the mid 20's - 30's and am very pleased.

Just wish that I had gotten into 91/30's earlier and less $$$, but still pleased to have gotten on board w/ these specimens.

Now w/ the PU's and M44's in the '40's I love them all :biggrin: