MAS 36, 1939 Non-refurb.

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
TheSovietSamurai

MAS 36, 1939 Non-refurb.

Post by TheSovietSamurai »

Hey everybody, won this rifle during the Australian arms auction in Melbourne today. Never seen one here before, and I'm certainly no expert on French firearms.
Just want to confirm that it is what I believe it is.

Unfortunately I only have the image from the catalog, I did inspect it today but was unable to take pictures.

Anyway, it has the early type sights and sling attachments, walnut stock and a sort of lacquer finish on the metal, only slightly worn.
Original bayonet in place, sharp cartouche on the right side of butt, marked 1939. Stock, bolt, trigger-guard etc all match the receiver, only non-matching part is the magazine floor-plate.

Am I right in saying that this is an unrefurbished pre-war example?

desdem12

Re: MAS 36, 1939 Non-refurb.

Post by desdem12 »

Looks unrefurbed to me. If it isn't counterbored then i would believe it as such. Also the early sights. Nice rifle :vcool: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
81turbota

Post by 81turbota »

I always thought those were cool. Do you plan to shoot it? I hear they are very underrated rifles, and can perform well.

I'd love to check one out. Nice find!
1898 Tula M91 - SA
1929 Tula 91/30 - MO/53
1931 Tula 91/30
1934 Tikka M27
1940 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M38
1944 VKT M39
1944 Izhevsk 91/30 PU sniper
1968 No maker M39

1941 Podolsk SVT40 - SA
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice, very nice. I have wanted one of these for a long time.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You know a lot of Australian soldiers served in Vietnam, the same shit hole war we fought over there. I know some US troops brought home Mas36's they captured back from the VC, the French lost a bunch of these rifles over there during the 50's when Ho was kicking their asses. I don't know what the regulations were regarding Australian soldiers bringing home captured enemy weapons in the 1960's and early 70's, worth you looking into it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TheSovietSamurai

Post by TheSovietSamurai »

Yes, Australian troops were able to return home with war trophies. There have been various verified examples, mostly in the war memorial collection today, of M44's, T53's, SKS' and AK-47s/Type 56. I don't recall any MAS rifles.

I had considered this, although it certainly does not have the look I'd expect from a rifle that saw service in those parts, but I suppose anything is possible.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not every captured rifle looked like it came up out of the mud. I have a type 53, and a Lebel carbine that look well used, dark, while the SKS was captured in new condition right out of a crate. The BM52 sniper rifle has light wear, but otherwise looks like a normal well cared for milsurp. There is no one type "look" for a bringhome rifle from any war.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I would lean towards a non-refurb, it still has the early original black painted finish and it does not look to have a hooded front sight, Most refurb and later produced Mas 36s had a parkerized finish and updated hooded style sight. Judging by the counter-bore works on early rifles, every rifle produced after I think 1947 was counterbored when it left the factory. We would need more photos to confirm it.

A non refurb early Mas 36 would have features identical to this one, http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... urb#p10833
As for Vietnam War bringbacks, there were later and early refurb Mas 36s that served there, here is mine http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... am#p313504
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.