No. 1 Mk 3 Lee Enfield, need help.

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Mosin-Marauder

No. 1 Mk 3 Lee Enfield, need help.

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

Was at the LGS today and saw a nice SMLE for $325. The bore looked great, didn't get a chance to look at the crown. The stock was a deep dark color but looked very good. I don't know if the numbers were matching. The action was smooth as glass too. And as far as I know it's in original condition. Should I jump on it? How do these shoot? Just wondering. Thought it would be a good addition to my collection, as long as it shoots good. Thanks for any help.
desdem12

Re: No. 1 Mk 3 Lee Enfield, need help.

Post by desdem12 »

Price seems fair. Not a screamin deal but not way too high either. I have one but haven't shot it so no help there. Check date on collar and if it is a indian rifle or not. Not sure I would pay that for an indian one but I have not studied them either. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

The card said 1948 manufacture. I'll have to go Monday and look at it again.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

If it's a 1948 manufacture it sounds like a an Indian Ishapore, manufacture matters in regards to the value of these rifles.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

So don't buy it?
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

For a 1948 Ishapor, you would be paying tomorrows price today. If it were a WWI era Ishapor, price would be fair.

Semper Fi, Rob

P.S. pictures would help alot.
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

I don't think they'll let me take pictures of it. You'll just have to take my word for it that it's in really good condition. I don't think I'll buy it. Might just go to Walmart and buy a Savage Axis or something, can get that for a lot less and it would be more accurate.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Mosin-Marauder wrote:I don't think they'll let me take pictures of it. You'll just have to take my word for it that it's in really good condition. I don't think I'll buy it. Might just go to Walmart and buy a Savage Axis or something, can get that for a lot less and it would be more accurate.
But a Savage "Axis" is just like ever other one coming off the assembly line. That No. 1 Mk 3 Lee Enfield does have some soul just as it is. If you want a tack driver, buy a Gazillion power scope and bolt it to your Win-Rem-Sav-Rug-Moss-whatever. If you want a rifle that's been there and done that, get the Mil-surp. If it shoots well, that's just a added bonus.
My work pistol is a Glock G22. It's back up is a G27. They are tools. They get a fair amount of use, almost entirely practice with a little competition thrown in for fun. One or both go with me just about everytime I go out of my house. I have a 1911 (not a 1911a1) that was not properly cleaned by the GI that carried it. The bore is a sewer pipe but it likes 230gr LRN loaded to about .45 Ball equivalent. I don't shoot it a lot but it's one of my favorite pistols.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

If I get something, It's going to shoot decent. If I'm spending my Money on it. I made the mistake of buying for history with my Mosin, I've become the most frustrated with that rifle than anything else in the world. At one time, that rifle was just like all the others off the production lines. History isn't produced on an assembly line, it's made throughout it's use. I'd rather have a rifle that shoots well and I can make it's history than a rifle that cant hit the broad side of a barn from the inside but has history.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Mosin-Marauder wrote:If I get something, It's going to shoot decent. If I'm spending my Money on it. I made the mistake of buying for history with my Mosin, I've become the most frustrated with that rifle than anything else in the world. At one time, that rifle was just like all the others off the production lines. History isn't produced on an assembly line, it's made throughout it's use. I'd rather have a rifle that shoots well and I can make it's history than a rifle that cant hit the broad side of a barn from the inside but has history.
" A mistake for buying for history?" You are on the wrong forum. This forum is based on the history of the Mosin Nagant rifles and their variants. Put two Mosin Nagant rifles made in 1943 side by side and they appear to be just alike. Look closer and you will find they are really nothing alike. There is absolutely no history in a Remchster 70 what so ever. Take some time and study the written history of the Mosin Nagant, you may change your mind. If accuracy is what is important to you you might want to buy a Tubb custom competition rifle. That's why you pay $4000.00 for a shooter.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

You're misunderstanding me, I appreciate the history in my rifles. I also want them to shoot decently though. I love my K-31. It's a great shooter and there's history behind it, which is why I bought it. Would I have liked to gotten a Mosin that shot better? Yes. I like the one I have though, It's just frustrating trying to get it to not shoot 18" groups at 100 yards.
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

So just dont buy the enfield because it is overpriced?
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

You will need to provide more specifics before we will be able to tell you if it is truly over priced.. Condition and whether or not it matches plays a huge part with these. Non matching and rough shape, I would pass. Matching and in good shape , $325 is about its value on todays market. You wont be getting a steal, youll just be paying the going rate.. And by the way, you'll find no smoother action than an Enfield..
Jim

Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

Edit.

I think I'm just going to buy an M24/47 from Samco. The Enfield seems inherently less accurate. The 24/47 is cheaper and ammo is too. I need a Mauser anyway. Well, at least I've made up my mind now. Thanks for all your help guys. It's nice to know when I have these kinda questions I can ask them here.