Is this a Balkan import? 1936 Tula 91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Pip6214

Is this a Balkan import? 1936 Tula 91/30

Post by Pip6214 »

I won this 1936 Tula 91/30 cheap enough that I don't mind the piss poor rusted bore. I was hoping for a Finnish capture but from all my recent experience I would say this is a Balkan Import with very little finish left and some stock repairs . The bolt "matches" the barrel shank though the bolt is all Izhevsk and the stock is all pre-28 Izhevsk. It lacks any markings on the stock or shank to determine origin besides CAI import mark. A few marks that are a first to me: 8 on the barrel shank, 6 in a diamond on the magazine, and roman numeral IV on the side of the tang. The trigger (looks M28 or M39 w/ two holes )is the only thing stumping me and keeping me from saying its 100% Balkan import.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Is this a Balkan import? 1936 Tula 91/30

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The rifles serial number is stamped on the left side of the receiver just were it meets the barrel? That would rule out the Spanish Civil War imports as they were 50's , well before Century and their serial number stamps. Not all the 91/30's the Finn's captured from the Soviets received the SA stamp, or were used by the Finnish army, that rifle does look more Finn than Romanian. Hard to say about the trigger, these have been available as surplus parts, someone could have put it in there. The dog collar, the look of it, without the rifle in hand to examine I would think it's a no SA stamp Finn.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

On another note, I have many 91/30's from the Romanian hoard, some have worn bores, but none have that sewer pipe look. I have however seen that look in some of the Finn 91/30 capture rifles, I suspect the consequence of having sat around next to a dead Soviet for a couple of months before the Finns collected it up.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Pip6214

Post by Pip6214 »

Cool! When I saw the picture I first assumed it was a Finn and the only reason I jumped on it. I was unaware of Finn capture rifles that didn't possess an acceptance mark (or at least a D, 41, 40 mark) I guess you can learn something new everyday. The trigger components condition seems to match the other parts and has similar crud built up as the rest of the nooks and crannies on the rifle which makes me believe it hasn't tended to in quite some time. Another aspect I was curious about is it has brass shims, which I know is more common with Finn rifles but not unheard of in Soviet rifles. Thanks for the input JYD.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Its a nice rifle whoever it belonged to. They cant all be beauty queens, some need to be war vets.

MT has one in the showcase you may be able to compare it to.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=16967
Kollaa kestää
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I have access to a large database of 36 and 37 dated 91/30 serial numbers. This one is right at the tail end of hex receiver production I believe. Just a little observation.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I don't know about the small details, but I know what I see. A very desirable rifle. I would not think twice about proudly buying that one.
Pip6214

Post by Pip6214 »

Thanks for sharing that link Lee, my stock looks just like that and was a point of interest. No cartouche or stamps at all, so i assumed it was sanded. Answers one of my questions now i know it was refinished with pine tar. It was bugging me because the balkan rifles i have are completely different. Flaky shellac on 2 m91 and on the dragoon with Romanian origin looks like the count from sesame Street got ahold of it, dang numbers everywhere.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Is that nails on the repair of the stock on the right side?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

you see a lot of nail repairs in Balkan stocks, and I have seen them in Finn stocks also.
Theodore Roosevelt