jc higgins 22 scope mount.

Rim Fire Firearms
fintowin

jc higgins 22 scope mount.

Post by fintowin »

I have an old jc higgins 22 that has what I thought was a 3/8" groove for a scope mount on top of the receiver. It must be smaller than 3/8" because I bought a set of 3/8" rings for a 1" scope tube, and the ring bases are just barely too wide to clamp onto that groove on top of the receiver. Anyone know where I can get a set of 1" rings that will clamp onto this old 22?
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
+dhic

Re: jc higgins 22 scope mount.

Post by +dhic »

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
+dhic

Post by +dhic »

I lost the text to the pics. I have the scope and mount but no rifle. The mount is about 5/16. I think it was made by
Weaver, Elpaso Tx. Maybe this will help you out. +dhic aka Cliff.
Cosmoline guy

Post by Cosmoline guy »

I'd love to see some pics of that rifle.
I have a J.C. Higgins .22 pistol that belonged to my Dad.
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

+dhic wrote:
image.jpg
That scope is identical to what is on the rifle at this time. I should have been more clear....I want to put a full sized cope on this rifle. My dad has expressed interest in a .22 autoloader rifle that will shoot shorts effectively. He told me that he can't see through the old "skinny" 22 scopes. He wants one with a full sized scope on it. I have this J.C. Higgins, but I want to scope it with a 1" scope tube. I need a mount that will accommodate both the groove that is on the rifle, and a full sized scope.

BTW, I will get a pic up before I give it to him. It is the on with the retractable sling into the stock. In excellent condition. Way cool gift for the man that raised me.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Easy solution. I have the same rifle and never thought to mount a scope on it till I read about your problem. I checked my rifle and sure enough the rings did not fit. I took a cheap set of rings and milled them to fit. It is easy enough to do this with a file as the gap is not that big. I think I paid about $5.00 for the rings and the base of these rings are aluminum and very easy to cut I will try to do this with a file as a lot of folks do not have a mill set up for stuff like this and let you all know how it came out. I measured the rings full closed and the width of the receiver mount and that gave me a starting point.Good luck! I could not find rings that would fit on sale anywhere.
Sequim

Post by Sequim »

Thought I would reply to this old thread in case anyone still needed the answer.
Had the same exact problem when I recently bought a JC Higgins Model 29 semi-auto made in mid 1950s.
Could not get a set of rings to fit the dovetail, so started researching why not, and I found out.........
The Sears .22 rifles, in those days, were made by High Standard. Finally found a web site that is all
about those old High Standard rifles. Turns out that Sears .22 dovetails were a size all their own, smaller than
all the standard sizes. The only rings that seem to work are Leopold vertical split 3/8" dovetail, and be sure
to tighten the bottom screw first.
And they do work, I bought a set for $16 on ebay and now my 1" scope is nice and tight.
Even duct tape can't fix stupid .... but it can muffle the sound!