1916 Ishapore Lee Enfield

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
breckenridge

1916 Ishapore Lee Enfield

Post by breckenridge »

Been a busy summer at work - hardly time to think about shooting or visiting the forum. But this weekend I was able to make it to a local gun show, found a bunch of 30-40 Krag at a good price, and also came across this find. I'd always had a thing for Lee Enfields so now I guess I have another caliber to build up.

1916 Ishapore, in .303 British. Mag cutoff is still present, numbers are arsenal matched. Bore is mirror bright and sharp, with slight pitting. I don't want to test the trigger until I have some snap caps, but its very crisp and light. All in all, a good day!

:thumbsup:
IMAG0903s.jpg
IMAG0904s.jpg
IMAG0918s.jpg
IMAG0917s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1933 M91/30 Izhevsk laminate
1948 M44 Izhevsk
1955 M44 Romanian
desdem12

Re: 1916 Ishapore Lee Enfield

Post by desdem12 »

Wow that is really nice. Like it :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice find. Graf & Sons has a pretty good deal on .303 amo. OKIE makes a gauge for the .303 caliber. Sounds like yo have a Krag so a bonus is that the .303 OKIE gauge will measure the 30-40 Krag also.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

Beautiful rifle !! I was not aware that Enfield production had started that early at Ishapore in India. Now that I have done some reading it seems they started making the No.1 in India in 1909. Ya learn something every day .. The mag cut off is a plus. Sweet find , congrats.
Jim

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I like it. You got yourself a gem for sure and since it sounds like you like shooting your rifles I can safely predict that you are going to like this one
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

ffeng31 wrote:Beautiful rifle !! I was not aware that Enfield production had started that early at Ishapore in India. Now that I have done some reading it seems they started making the No.1 in India in 1909. Ya learn something every day .. The mag cut off is a plus. Sweet find , congrats.
Not only the nicest Ishapore Enfield I have seen but also the oldest, was not aware that Ishapore had started rifle product ion that early either :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
breckenridge

Post by breckenridge »

Thanks guys, I am excited to give it a good inspection and hopefully get out to the range soon. Headspace passes but just barely on the Okie field gauge. Thoughts there? I havent gotten into reloading yet and plan to use light factory loads so I shouldnt have to worry about brass fatigue? I haven't had it apart yet to inspect under the wood.
1948 M44 Izhevsk
1955 M44 Romanian
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

breckenridge wrote:Thanks guys, I am excited to give it a good inspection and hopefully get out to the range soon. Headspace passes but just barely on the Okie field gauge. Thoughts there? I havent gotten into reloading yet and plan to use light factory loads so I shouldnt have to worry about brass fatigue? I haven't had it apart yet to inspect under the wood.
When you take it apart. Make sure you take the butt stock off first. Damage can result otherwise. You will need a LARGE flat screwdriver to do it. I had to make a trip to the Home Depot and bought the largest one they had.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Don't run out and buy a big screwdriver. Go to your Mosin room and get a 91/30 bayonet. The pointy end is a screwdriver, use that.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Nice one! :thumbsup:
breckenridge

Post by breckenridge »

millman wrote:
breckenridge wrote:Thanks guys, I am excited to give it a good inspection and hopefully get out to the range soon. Headspace passes but just barely on the Okie field gauge. Thoughts there? I havent gotten into reloading yet and plan to use light factory loads so I shouldnt have to worry about brass fatigue? I haven't had it apart yet to inspect under the wood.
When you take it apart. Make sure you take the butt stock off first. Damage can result otherwise. You will need a LARGE flat screwdriver to do it. I had to make a trip to the Home Depot and bought the largest one they had.
I was under the impression that you needed to remove the forestock first, as the buttstock screw had a square protruding end through the receiver bottom that could split the forestock if turned?

In other news the bolt has a lot of hairline cracks throughout it. A new one is on its way from liberty tree. Hopefully the British ones interchange with the Ishapore, it should as the early ones were on British tooling...
1948 M44 Izhevsk
1955 M44 Romanian
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

breckenridge wrote:
millman wrote:
I was under the impression that you needed to remove the forestock first, as the buttstock screw had a square protruding end through the receiver bottom that could split the forestock if turned?

In other news the bolt has a lot of hairline cracks throughout it. A new one is on its way from liberty tree. Hopefully the British ones interchange with the Ishapore, it should as the early ones were on British tooling...
Crap you might just be right. It is one or the other. That is what I get for relying on my faulty brain. Sorry.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

For what it is worth, I always take the forestock off first.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yeh, the forstock first, as the butt stock bolt is squared and needs to be tightened till it aligns such that the forstock can slide into place. A video makes it easier to understand unless you do it a few times.
breckenridge

Post by breckenridge »

The new bolt came in from Liberty Tree Collectors. As I mentioned the old one was full of hairline cracks, and the number didn't match anyway. Bolt from Liberty Tree was a late manufacture, looked like new old stock. Its fascinating to me that a ~60 year old bolt from the UK swapped directly into a 100 year old rifle from the Indian British Empire. Headspace was improved with the new bolt, being a little tighter on the field gauge than the barely passing old one. I swapped over the old-style cocking piece to the new bolt.
IMAG0998s.jpg
Cracks visible in old bolt here - after cocking piece had been swapped:
IMAG0999s.jpg
Back together
IMAG1000s.jpg
IMAG1002s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by breckenridge on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
1948 M44 Izhevsk
1955 M44 Romanian
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Will the cracks in the bolt show up clearly in a picture? 100's or rifles and not once have I ever seen so much as one crack in a bolt or receiver except one "Zulu" shotgun, and it's expected with them. This rifle would make me very nervous on the range, I would pull the barreled receiver out and take it to a machine shop that can Magnaflux it to discover if the cracks stop at the bolt, or extend into the receiver.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
breckenridge

Post by breckenridge »

I will take a better picture of the bolt. I had disassembled the rifle and all of the metalwork on the receiver looked very sound with a magnifying glass - very much different metal than the old, mismatched bolt. Do you think I should still be concerned? Thank you!
1948 M44 Izhevsk
1955 M44 Romanian
breckenridge

Post by breckenridge »

The areas in question - It is possible this is just surface pitting, but it seems too linear to me. Thoughts much appreciated - I thought I was being proactive with the new bolt and an inspection of the receiver, but I don't want to shoot this rifle if I am not confident in its safety.
IMAG1005s.jpg
IMAG1004s.jpg
1948 M44 Izhevsk
1955 M44 Romanian