Bolt sticks after 4th round every time,

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ourichie

Bolt sticks after 4th round every time,

Post by ourichie »

I have 1927 Tula 91/30. I went out yesterday and shot both it and my M38. Well, on the 91/30, I would load up the magazine with 5 rounds, and whenever I would fire the 4th, the bolt would stick upon extraction. After opening it with a rubber mallet, wit would feed and extract the 5th round perfectly. Load up 5 more, and once again, the bolt would stick on the 4th round.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

BTW, my new M38 functioned flawlessly through the 90 rounds i put through it yesterday.
“Of all the passions that inspire a man in a battle, none, we have to admit, is so powerful and so constant as the longing for honor and renown.”
― Carl von Clausewitz
1927 : Tula 91/30
1939 : Tula 91/30
1943 : Izhevsk M38
1954.1 : ChiCom Factory 296 Type 53
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bolt sticks after 4th round every time,

Post by bunkysdad »

Yes that is classic sticky bolt syndrome. By the time you get to the 4th round the receiver is hot enough that some old grease or cosmoline, even a unseen trace amount that has become embedded in the steel chamber area begins to melt enough to "glue" the round in place. Cleaning is required.
ourichie

Post by ourichie »

That is what I figured. I was just thinking that there might be something else because it was on the 4th round of every magazine.

I am guessing that rounds 1-4 heat it up to where round 4 sticks and as i am screwing with it to get it out, it cools off until the next 4th round or so.
“Of all the passions that inspire a man in a battle, none, we have to admit, is so powerful and so constant as the longing for honor and renown.”
― Carl von Clausewitz
1927 : Tula 91/30
1939 : Tula 91/30
1943 : Izhevsk M38
1954.1 : ChiCom Factory 296 Type 53
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I had that happen to me and it just made me crazy. I had to clean the chamber several times to get it right.
Groundpounder

Post by Groundpounder »

I had the same issue with a 91-59, someone on here suggested a soft brass shotgun bore brush and a drill. I stayed in denial for two more trips to the range, thinking "I know how to clean a rifle, it must be mechanical"... Finally I used the brush with some solvent for about 20 seconds...never stuck again.
Never pick a fight with an old man.
If he's too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.
- J Steinbeck
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

All great advice here. Start with that and then inspect the chamber area with a bright light to make sure it's clean.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated