Proper tool fit when disassembling your Mosin

Mosin Information Pages, Video's on setting firing pin protrusion, how to check headspace, the Mosin bolt,
MosinWiki, How to's on cleaning your Mosin, shooting too hight? and much more.
Mike

Re: Proper tool fit when disassembling your Mosin

Post by Mike »

The FX4 is too new, for the most part they had switched to standard fasteners by then. :D
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1937 Wolseley?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mike

Post by Mike »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:1937 Wolseley?
This is quite likely mostly Whitworth.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
paul6892
ban
ban

Post by paul6892 »

Excellent tool usage advice for Guns and Cars :!: :vcool: :thumbsup:
1. M39 Finn, 7.62x54mm 1944 Sako
2. M38, 7.62x54mm 1943 Izhevsk
3. M44, 7.62x54 mm 1945 Izhevsk
4. SKS, Russian, 7.62x39mm 1951 Tula
5. SKS Chinese #26, 7.62x39mm
6. SKS Chinese #316, 7.62x39mm
7. M48, Yugoslav, Mauser 8x57mm
8. Air Rifle .22, Beeman RS2

Best Regards

Paul
USN Retired

Vietnam Veteran
matt167

Post by matt167 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
matt167 wrote:I use the supplied multi- tool on my Mosins, since every time I have it out, I check the firing pin anyway, and if it was good enough in the field, it's good enough for me. I do have hallow ground screwdrivers for the other guns tho

I ran into a stripped clutch head screw on my '51 Chevy for the voltage reg. That was hard to remove, but I also had to put it back in since a new shiny phillips would not look right.. This was after waiting 3 weeks for Napa to get me a set of clutch head drivers, and getting the counter clerks to understand I actually needed those crazy looking drivers
I have several '49-'52 Chevys on the lot, and I know I have a voltage regulator off someplace. I don't explain my tool needs to counter clerks, I tell the what I require, and they get it, and no harbor freight crap either if they want to keep the account, if you are going to buy tools then buy good ones . Craftsman, S&K, are good, Snap-On, Mac and Matco are more expensive but mostly good. Made in USA tools only thank you.
I don't remember what brand they are, but are marked Napa. Probably made overseas but I needed them, a hissing overcharged 6v battery is not something I like to be around and they cost $100 from TSC. I haven't needed them since changing the regulator.. It was more, that they had no clue what they were, and were almost too lazy to look thru the books to find what I needed. I actually had looked and found them thru Napa online but they discontinued those particular lines of tools and they had to look up new part numbers..

Good to know you have some of these cars in the yard.. If your parting them, I may have a shopping list eventually once I get some money saved up.

BTW, you may not know but Craftsmen changed suppliers and their hand tools are now made in China... Stanley, Kobalt, Matco and Mac are all made by Danaher. Craftsmen was until 2012 IIRC.. I get Stanley tools since they can be had lots of places..
Enemy_at_the_gates

Post by Enemy_at_the_gates »

bunkysdad wrote:Or any firearm for that matter. How many times have you looked at pictures of firearms you are interested in and saw messed up screw slots from a improperly fitting screwdriver blade? When taking apart your Mosin, or any firearm for that matter it is imperative to have a blade that fits properly. Screw heads are made from a soft enough steel that any force applied from a blade that is too small will make the twisted out slots that are way too common. Even Walmart sells a cheap screwdriver set for guns that these tips came from. Grafs.com has a huge set that will cover everything. And if you have a Enfield don't even think about getting close to those thin slotted screws with a regular mechanics screwdriver. The proper fitting tools are hollow ground especially for gun screws.
Here is a couple of pics that speak for themselves. Last pic is a no no.
uploadfromtaptalk1409234304123.jpg
This is a proper fit for both width and blade thickness for these particular screws.
uploadfromtaptalk1409234405790.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1409234468473.jpg
OUTSTANDING post!, Thanks for saying what we have all been thinking !
The 2nd Amendment is Non-negotiable !
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Even Thor used the correct tools .... way back then!

jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

To screw with my Mosin, I use the bayonet point to unscrew things.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

jones0430 wrote:To screw with my Mosin, I use the bayonet point to unscrew things.
Betcha that's a bit unwieldy in close quarters.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mike wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:1937 Wolseley?
This is quite likely mostly Whitworth.
First season of Foyle's War they used the '37, after that they started using various later years and passing them off as earlier cars.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

matt167 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:
matt167 wrote:I use the supplied multi- tool on my Mosins, since every time I have it out, I check the firing pin anyway, and if it was good enough in the field, it's good enough for me. I do have hallow ground screwdrivers for the other guns tho

I ran into a stripped clutch head screw on my '51 Chevy for the voltage reg. That was hard to remove, but I also had to put it back in since a new shiny phillips would not look right.. This was after waiting 3 weeks for Napa to get me a set of clutch head drivers, and getting the counter clerks to understand I actually needed those crazy looking drivers
I have several '49-'52 Chevys on the lot, and I know I have a voltage regulator off someplace. I don't explain my tool needs to counter clerks, I tell the what I require, and they get it, and no harbor freight crap either if they want to keep the account, if you are going to buy tools then buy good ones . Craftsman, S&K, are good, Snap-On, Mac and Matco are more expensive but mostly good. Made in USA tools only thank you.
I don't remember what brand they are, but are marked Napa. Probably made overseas but I needed them, a hissing overcharged 6v battery is not something I like to be around and they cost $100 from TSC. I haven't needed them since changing the regulator.. It was more, that they had no clue what they were, and were almost too lazy to look thru the books to find what I needed. I actually had looked and found them thru Napa online but they discontinued those particular lines of tools and they had to look up new part numbers..

Good to know you have some of these cars in the yard.. If your parting them, I may have a shopping list eventually once I get some money saved up.

BTW, you may not know but Craftsmen changed suppliers and their hand tools are now made in China... Stanley, Kobalt, Matco and Mac are all made by Danaher. Craftsmen was until 2012 IIRC.. I get Stanley tools since they can be had lots of places..
I don't think I ever bought a Craftsman tool actually from Sears, I pick them up on the cheap at flea markets and tag sales, so far all the ones I buy have made in USA on them. The few sockets I turned in broken resulted in USA replacements, S&K sockets and wrenches are still USA made last I looked.

Hemmings motor news, if you are going to have an antique car then you need a subscription to Hemmings, this is a catalog of parts and service supplier's for every type of antique car. Cars for sale, and articles about cars, size of a small phone book, look them up on line. You don't go to the local parts store for antique parts, you get them from the outfits that specialize in them and know exactly what you need, sometimes with NOS parts. I bet NAPA didn't tell you that the original regulator is adjustable did they? Of course not, they probably had no clue. Send me the want list, all the Chevys are being parted out, that's what we do. I hope you are using a fuel stabilizer that works on ethanol fuel's in that car, I have been selling a lot of 216-235 chevy Rochester carburetors to people who didn't use the stabilizer, and now I am about out.
Theodore Roosevelt
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Ok I fully agree with the theme of this post. However don't knock quality mechanics tools, as quite a few of the screw driver bits in quality tool sets are farrow ground. I find transmission tools tend to work really, really well for gunsmithing applications. The caveat of course as has been said here it has to be the correct size. I actually keep my transmission tools with my gunsmithing tools in my tool chest. This is mostly to keep my wife or father in law from grabbing a delicate specialty screwdriver and using it to pry something open. As to the comment about the screws on the Enfield rifles I find that I have two different size bits for transmission work that actually fit better than any of my gunsmith specific bits do for the Enfield. As to Junkyard's comments on tools to buy I agree All I have are older Craftsman and Snap-On. I have recently been seeing more made in the USA stamps on the Craftsman tools again I haven't bought any as I haven't needed them. I warranty replaced a spring shaft bit driver that my wife destroyed and the replacement is stamped made in the USA.
As they say the pen is mightier than the sword...however that also means the pen is far more dangerous than the sword. The sword can take your life or your limb but can not take your freedom, the pen can. A wary patriot watches the pen as it can steal his freedom. The wary patriot knows he can use the pen to take power from those who wish to use the pen for evil, but keeps his rifle close by his side "just in case"!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I remember seeing some Craftsman wrenches around 15-20 years ago at Seats that actually said made in China or Taiwan, can't remember which. Sometime later they were back to made in USA. I have never seen any since that didn't say made in USA, but I couldn't tell you the last time I went to Sears for tools. I haven't needed to buy basic hand tools for a long time.
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

My first car was a'69 MGB. Talk about a night mare !!!!!! It used US, Metric AND Whitworth bolts.
Jon
Mike

Post by Mike »

musketjon wrote:My first car was a'69 MGB. Talk about a night mare !!!!!! It used US, Metric AND Whitworth bolts.
Jon
MGBs were all standard, yours must have suffered from a careless mechanic who replaced lost fasteners with whatever he could find. The only exception to this is the filler plugs on the shock absorbers, they are 1/4" whitworth but a 9/16" standard works just fine.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
matt167

Post by matt167 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
matt167 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:

I don't think I ever bought a Craftsman tool actually from Sears, I pick them up on the cheap at flea markets and tag sales, so far all the ones I buy have made in USA on them. The few sockets I turned in broken resulted in USA replacements, S&K sockets and wrenches are still USA made last I looked.

Hemmings motor news, if you are going to have an antique car then you need a subscription to Hemmings, this is a catalog of parts and service supplier's for every type of antique car. Cars for sale, and articles about cars, size of a small phone book, look them up on line. You don't go to the local parts store for antique parts, you get them from the outfits that specialize in them and know exactly what you need, sometimes with NOS parts. I bet NAPA didn't tell you that the original regulator is adjustable did they? Of course not, they probably had no clue. Send me the want list, all the Chevys are being parted out, that's what we do. I hope you are using a fuel stabilizer that works on ethanol fuel's in that car, I have been selling a lot of 216-235 chevy Rochester carburetors to people who didn't use the stabilizer, and now I am about out.
I actually knew the regulator was adjustable, and I still have it on the shelf. I just didn't want to mess with trying to file the points contacts ( was getting HOT ). I knew it was sticking. I go right to Carquest for parts usually. They had the regulator to me in a day but could not get the tools since they had changed suppliers for tools.. Not much they won't get me.. I've still bought numerous things from Chevsofthe40s and National Chevy Association..
I actually got the top radiator hose from Carquest. The hose that Chevsofthe40s sent ( GM stamped reproduction ) was totally wrong. Carquest actually got the part right. I can live without the GM stamp for a part that fits

I use Sta-bil marine usually. The carb has been rebuilt probably never, and the accelerator pump has never worked since I've owned it but it still runs the car pretty nice. just takes a smidge of choke to get the throttle hesitation to go away
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

How about a nice radio core ? Got a '48 Chevy sedan radio to unload on ebay.
Theodore Roosevelt
JER

Post by JER »

Absolutely. Also, after any screw is loose, and you're tempted to transition from the "heavy palm pressure slow and go" mode, to the "I'll just spin this off with my fingers" mode, USE CAUTION.... An unknown and previously "not removed by you " screw can seize AGAIN, on any antique gun and cause the screwdriver to slip off and mar an otherwise pristine finish!!!
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I thought Mosin's came with a screwdriver? :D

I just carry a 500 in 1 screwdriver with me. Kind of heavy but it has all the tips.
thorsbeans

Post by thorsbeans »

I had this happen when I bought my Mosin. I had to force the chewed up screws out and now I can't find replacement screws.